Lightning

a Rhodes custom cage fo yo ass

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006 | 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
. . . what im asking is what are the alternatives to a better cage??
Rear window treatment aside, and no offense intended to SRTthis, to my eye, this is most unsatisfactory Lightning cage that I can recall seeing. So I guess my response would be any of the other alternatives.

Old 08-03-2006 | 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Rear window treatment aside, and no offense intended to SRTthis, to my eye, this is most unsatisfactory Lightning cage that I can recall seeing. So I guess my response would be any of the other alternatives.
Tim, i see everyones point for concern.. but maybe Rhodes is using a different steel? chrome molly perhaps? i have no clue.. as it being an affordable setup i was going to consider this cage.. i figured that a company that has all these race cars out there with there cages everything would be fine.. i would be pretty upset going to an event such as the NMRA get to the Tech line and then they tell me they wont allow me to race because my cage is safe.. there has to be a reason why Rhodes would build a cage like this and make it so much different to the others.. if anyone has any suggestions on cages please post them up...

Old 08-03-2006 | 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
. . . i figured that a company that has all these race cars out there with there cages everything would be fine.. there has to be a reason why Rhodes would build a cage like this and make it so much different to the others...
Point well taken. Notice that I was careful to say "to my eye." I'm not an expert in cage design, but I'm an expert in skepticism.

Old 08-03-2006 | 11:59 PM
First off roll cages this is not.It is a roll bar with 4 support legs.roll bars ,cages or what ever are more a sanctioning body specific.but if you build a cage to the tougher spec then it will pass in the other groups too.the key to a cage is to make atleast one bar in compression and one bar in tension when ever there is an impact on the safety system from any direction.the more bars you have absorbing the energy the better you are literially!Also the height of the shoulder harness attachment pionts needs to be no lower than 3 inches below the shoulder or 6 inches above. If it is something else[out of spec] it can compress your spine on impact.or let you slip out of the seat because the shoulder belts slid off your shoulders.Also the webbing on the belts does stretch so the shorter you can keep the belts the tighter you will be in the seat if anything does happen. As for moly being stronger yes but at an expense more than the average installer know or the customer.You have to go back after you weld moly and 'normalize' it what that is is go back in the weld area and heat that back up to about 500 degrees to re anneal it[after welding it is crystalized [sp]].I have seen that personally so I know.also the added strenght of moly for the added saving in weight as well as the added expense just does not make sense.It is about 20% stronger than 1018 DOM and cost about 2x's as much and it is more touchy on the welding[see above]Also a well thought out safety system will give strenght to the frame or stiffen it up.here is a few pics of my cage it have compromise sure but it is a cage and has passed tech for 9.xx at several drag racing events as well as the tech of the Open road groups that I run.To run unlimited all I need to add is an x inbetween the door bars.It is made of 2 inch DOM that at the OUTSIDE of the bend sonic tests to .134 that is on the 80 Degree bend in the hoops.STan

Add yes I am bragging.But ...................

Last edited by Ruslow; 08-04-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2006 | 08:54 AM
Now THAT'S a heavy duty cage!
noice!

Quick Reply: a Rhodes custom cage fo yo ass