Lightning

My SVT stops all the time...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006 | 12:12 PM
|
My SVT stops all the time...???

My 2004 SVT Lightning has started to stop all the time now... The man I bought this car from said i just had to swap to relays(im not sure of the right word, but to el-boxes under a cover beside the fusebox)... So i did... with to old ones laying in the glove compartment... And it started again... but then the truck stopped again....

Is this a familier problem with this truck? anyone knows how to make it run all the time i want it to? Is there some hi current or something making this problem? He talked about some problem if i used the AC? I've used it a lot these last weeks... its hot in Norway (Belive it ore not!)

Edit for spelling

Last edited by Silver_2000; 08-09-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:22 PM
The truck is doing that because it's mad at you for how it looks. It doesn't want to be seen in public like that.

Old 08-08-2006 | 12:39 PM
you may have damaged the electrical system, or have a bad battery or bad alternator......do you have alot of stereo equipment? (amps? capacitors?)

1) go have the alternator tested, if it is bad replace it

2) test the battery voltage while the truck is not running if it is below 12.5 volts it may be going bad, replace that

3) take the truck to a good ford mechanic to check the electrical systems

Old 08-08-2006 | 12:45 PM
its the lambo doors, when they are up they pull in radiation from the sun and it is frying your relays.

Sorry but I did not understand what you are asking. Sounds like a short somewhere.

Old 08-08-2006 | 02:03 PM
|
So the relays shorts? What dose these relays controle? The to beside the fusebox...?

Old 08-08-2006 | 02:08 PM
GUYS stop joking....he obviously is taking all comments seriously due to the limited amount of english he comprehends....dont be jerks.

GROMBIL ...... do what i said first

test relay
test battery

replace those items if needed

Old 08-08-2006 | 03:53 PM
listen to pitstain, not me.

i had a similar problem with my 05 mustang GT. car did not shut off, just things would randomly stop working, like power windows, radio...it was water dripping on the computer.

also maybe check all your connnections that they are tight. maybe something is losing contact from vibrations, etc...
if the truck is chipped maybe the guy did not secure the wiring harness to the Cpu and it is loose?

try to give more details, hard to understand your english, but if someone will figure it out, it will be on this board.

sorry for being a wiseass.

Old 08-08-2006 | 05:48 PM
|
I have no problem understanding jokes . so dont feel bad for me....

I kind of think its funny to read the coments about the doors and radiation and so on... its pretty funny to me. I mean how many of you guys can show to 15 prices at shows and over 10 artikkels in car mags on your cars? I can :-)
I got the last price this weekend... 2.place for the nicest truck on the powermeet.... They looked at the cars condition not the doors and so on...

Well to the problem at hand... The cars engine shuts off... and the powersteering and som on stops to function... I can just switch off the ignition ang back on and it starts again... almost every time... But todag it diddent start again. I had som relays in the car som i switched them and it starts again. So i drove for half an houer after without problems. But i cant keep doing this all the time... There must be a reason for the relay to stopp working...? Even if they obviusly dont stop funktioning but stopps working a short time...?

The previous owner said it was a known Lightning problem and that it was related to the AC? If used over a longer period it culd in some way make the car stop???? But i cant realy understand this... Something must be wrong somewhere?

Old 08-08-2006 | 06:15 PM
Does it have a chip on the computer? Sounds like a loose chip to me.

Old 08-08-2006 | 06:21 PM
LISTEN TO PITSTAIN!

Test the battery, alternator, etc. Have a Ford mechanic look it over. Something is NOT right.

Old 08-08-2006 | 10:38 PM
You're best bet, is at Pitstain suggested:

#1: make sure you have a good battery in the truck (and it's properly grounded)
#2: get your alternator tested and make sure it's functioning properly and make sure it's really charging the battery - in the truck

If the battery and charging system (which the FEAD accesary belt is a part of) is all functioning properly - and you still have the same problem, then you have some kind of current drain taking place - a "short circuit" somewhere - and it could be in a lot of places. I have never read of any common electrical problem in the Lightning - so other than one-by-one checking every part and parcel of your electrical system - is to take it to an experienced Ford mechanic.

Old 08-09-2006 | 12:06 AM
start the vehicle,

while it is running, pull the positive "+" cable off the battery. If the engine shuts off, then your alternator is bad.. it needs to be replaced.

Basically, your engine is running off the battery because the alternator is not charging correctly and providing current to run the engine.

Old 08-09-2006 | 08:53 AM
thinking about it is could be your battery.
had a similar issue on my waverunner. would start up and run, then all of a sudden stop. would start right back up and run for awhile and die again.
i swapped the battery and the problem went away.
if you are doing alot of car shows you are probably using the battery allot without the truck running so that could be it...

Old 08-09-2006 | 10:19 AM
|
Thanks guys

Ill check the battery first and the altenator... I think its ok, but you newer know... There has been a big stereo in this truck before but now there is nothint.... for now... just got the Soundstrem stereo thats going to be mounted in the winter i think.

The thing about this that makes this a bit funny is that the car maby stopps and cant be started again but the engine turns good? So it dosent seem to be the typicly battery problem? But i may be wrong on this one... Maby the chip can make this problem also... There shul be a switch on the chip to turn it off and on, but the wiers are just joined and ducktaped...

OT: will a Diablo tuningdevice do the same tuning as a chip but with more controle for me? Must i take the chip off before tuning with the Diablo?

Old 08-09-2006 | 10:55 AM
I had a problem where my chip came loose and the truck stopped running and I had to remove the chip and reinstall it and it started fine. Your best bet is to remove the chip run the truck do not wot the vehicle and see if it shuts off if it doesnt the chip might be bad or just came loose.

Quick Reply: My SVT stops all the time...???