Lightning

Chip Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2000 | 03:51 PM
|
Post Chip Installation

Looks like a new user with a dumb question. Not so. I just don't want prying eyes to know that I'm installing a chip.

Anyway,

I am in the process of installing a PSP chip and everything went fine for the vehicle start-up. I was warned that if the computer box is clipped in too tight that the truck may stall or not start. Well as best as I could I bent the tabs on the upper plate that the computer rests on and clips to but I wasn't able to get them really out of the way.

The truck would turn over but not start. So I unclipped the computer and without the pressure of the clip it started, no sweat.

My question is this -- how in the he?? do you bend those tabs back? or failing that, how do you hold the computer in place so it's not rattling around?

Thanks!

------------------
1999 or 2000 Lightning Owner

Old 07-13-2000 | 03:55 PM
Duct tape... (he thinks I'm kidding...)

Rich

Old 07-13-2000 | 03:56 PM
Just get your socket wrench out and take the two bolts out that hold that bracket and bend the tabs with the bracket of the truck. It's the best way.

Old 07-13-2000 | 04:01 PM
Bad:

How big is this chip?

Old 07-13-2000 | 04:09 PM
Mine has a black plastic "U" shaped clip that holds the duct taped/chipped computer firmly on the bracket.

Old 07-13-2000 | 04:10 PM
|
TampaBayLightning: If by duct tape you mean holding the chip onto the computer, that's done. The chip is about 3/16" of the end of the computer.

BadBolt: Ya, but how do you get to that top bolt. It's way up there.

Thanks for the responses. While I was waiting, I went for a drive. WAAANNN-BANG-WAAAAANNNN!!! What a hoot.

Old 07-13-2000 | 04:16 PM
I'm with Chuck on this one... There is a black clip that holds the unit on.

Old 07-13-2000 | 05:14 PM
I'd second BadBolt's advice on this one. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet, snaked my hand up there, and finally got that b**ch of an upper bolt out. Takes some time, but it does allow you to properly bend the tabs on the PCM cage out of the way. With the two upper tabs bent out straight, the PCM cage holds the PCM securely, using the plastic clip on the lower section of the PCM cage, and doesn't put any pressure on the chip.

Old 07-13-2000 | 05:26 PM
|
Thanks for all the replies. I took the hard route BadBolt and took the damm plate out and flattened the tabs properly.

The top screw is now hidden somewhere behind the carpet. May it rest in peace. Man what a pain. The plate is certainly secure enough with only the bottom bolt and the plastic clip is properly snugged on. No problem starts.

If anyone finds a 1/4" drive 10mm socket on the road somewhere, it's mine. It fell off on top of the wheel well but didn't drop out the bottom. Anyway if you find it, please give me a shout.

Get a PSP chip - oh what fun!!!!!!!!!!

A Pseudonym signs off............

Old 07-13-2000 | 08:29 PM
A Pseudonym, You must have installed a Superchip. Your 10mm socket is between firewall & inner fender.

Old 07-13-2000 | 08:33 PM
It's probably in the same place as everybody's 10mm sockets. I think I've got two down there....

Rich

Old 07-13-2000 | 08:38 PM
Betty,
If you get a PSP Chip you don't have to bend brackets, it slides right in.

Old 07-13-2000 | 09:49 PM
|
Trust me I'm not Betty. Just a guy who'd rather not let SVT know I have a chip.

I have Sal's, I presume, temporary chip that was purchased not thru Sal.

Believe me, the tabs required flattening out. When the plastic clip is put on, the PCM is getting twisted and the chip loses contact and the truck won't start. Period. Tape with Duct Tape Professional. When the tabs were flatenned, no more trouble.

Quick Reply: Chip Installation