Lightning

Weird popping noise in cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006 | 07:40 PM
|
Weird popping noise in cab

Guys, for quite some time I have had a very annoying popping noise that sounds like a bass drum echoing in the cab. The good news is that as long as I have the radio on the echoing sound blends in. It's only when the radio is off that you can truly hear the annoying noise. At first I thought it was my JDM silver bullit exhaust at one point, but I checked it over a few times and can see no area that would be hitting. I can shake the truck side to side when it's running and I hear it. pop pop pop

I also hear it when I go over bumps. The other night I had the truck in the driveway w/ the ignition on (in park of course) and shook it side to side and could still hear the noise in the cab. If I turned it off and shook the truck no noise. It's almost like it's in the gas tank or something. The noise also seems worse when the outside temp is hot. Lately its been 100F in West Texas.

Yesterday I took my L to a local performance shop, that also owns the local dragway, and they cannot figure out where my "bass thumping" noise is coming from. He said they slowly drove it around on the side roads and without a doubt they hear the noise, but when it was on the lift he said he checked everything and there is nothing that the JDM silver bullit catback is hitting on. He seems to think it might be the magnaflow mufflers though. He's also not sure that it's coming from the exhaust either. I told him that some people had mention a possible bad cat converter and he didn't think that was the case.

Since I've had the truck the only mods that I've done are:

1) clunk washers
2) realigned the bed (bolts are tight)
3) JDM catback
4) Belltech 2" shackles (tried stock shackles and noise still audible)
5) removed the hitch
6) LFP 58" traction bars (bars installed yesterday)

Any ideas?

Solved: It was my Clarion stealth subwoofer......ugh. 3 years of misery

Last edited by device manager; 08-29-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2006 | 01:47 AM
|
*Update*

I guess you would call it more of a low bass note "Thump thump....thump" instead of a pop. Driving it on the road is annoying as hell. Does anyone have any ideas because this noise is driving me insane.

Old 08-22-2006 | 11:16 AM
See tallimeca's post on this exact topic.

Old 08-23-2006 | 05:30 AM
|
Yup, I just read it before I looked for this post to see if there was an update. His problem sounds almost identical to mine.

Could it be the cat?

Quick Reply: Weird popping noise in cab