Lightning

Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 04:31 PM
TB,

I have some hopefully good news from Koni, they may be able to revalve my supposedly non-rebuildable front by cutting them open revalving and putting them in a new housing.

also interesting as to why hotchkis used the supercrew shocks with the softer compression is this tidbit of info from your aforelinked koni pdf.

When changing to firmer springs, the shocks usually need to be set firmer for rebound and softer for
compression damping.

Old 12-12-2006 | 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
When changing to firmer springs, the shocks usually need to be set firmer for rebound and softer for
compression damping.
Makes sense when you think about it. Stiffer springs will resist compression more and push back harder.

Great tech, Ian. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2006 | 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Makes sense when you think about it. Stiffer springs will resist compression more and push back harder.

Great tech, Ian. Thanks.
Tim it may sound silly but i really smile when you say stuff like that to me.

I will take this into account when or if i get the koni's rebuilt. i would get the compression revalved to match the springs and then still be able to adjust the rebound to compensate for more or stiffer spring rubbers.......

i will keep you guys in the loop every step of the way.:santa:

Old 01-12-2007 | 04:44 PM
Ok I ordered front Bilstein 2478-H1 shocks, Mr. Gasket spring rubbers, and a Rough Country steering stablizer (only $50 ), I will install ONE AT A TIME and report back. next step would be the Bilstein Rodeo spec rear shocks and the Helwig traction leafs. Still need to install the Ruslow sliders too.

Old 01-12-2007 | 07:43 PM
|
Ian- Looking forward to it! Do you really need those spring rubbers?

Old 01-14-2007 | 12:30 AM
i removed the factory upper spring isolators and used the thinner hotchkis ones so i could add a spring booster to increas the spring rate slightly above stock but maintain the spindle drop and not go lower. even with the current twistin boosters i bottom out, mainly due to the spongy koni shocks. I am most curious as to the effect of the steering stabilizers affect on the somewhat severe bump steer, which opposed to all logic has gotten MUCH worse after switching from the hotchkis spring to the factory spring / drop spindle setup.

I will take some nice pics of the stabilizer install for you guys.

Old 01-14-2007 | 08:08 AM
Pit,
IMO before you go any further, you need to isolate your issue(s). You have too much going on at the same time. Other than spindles, return the front to stock configuration. If I remember, you said that compression on those shocks were fixed and rebound adjustable. If that's the case, those shocks are just not a good match. Put the Bilstein back in and go from there.

Keep the faith.

TB

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Pit,
IMO before you go any further, you need to isolate your issue(s). You have too much going on at the same time. Other than spindles, return the front to stock configuration. If I remember, you said that compression on those shocks were fixed and rebound adjustable. If that's the case, those shocks are just not a good match. Put the Bilstein back in and go from there.

Keep the faith.

TB
TB,

Doing exactly that buddy. I have gotten the tweaked axle replaced (huge difference), I have reinstalled the proper 2003 spec 2* shims (truck feels like it's doing 30mph on granite whilst going 100mph), I have removed my rear socal extenders since the rodeo shocks don't require them. The drivers side hub has been shimmed to prevent my brake rotor from contacting the face of the belltech spindle while under lateral force. ( STOOOOPID Belltech Mfg'ing tolerances suck).

My frist step is to install L spec Bilsteins up front , replace my twist in spring boosters for the rubbers, and log a few hundred miles. Following a hopefully bug free ride, I will then go on to fitting the RC steering stabilizer, and again log some miles on my least favorite rutted bump steer inducing roads.

This past weekend while installing the shims to quell my 70mph+ vibrations and removing the socal extenders to allow my Koni/Rodeo shocks to work in a more even range of travel I added one leaf clamp to the front half of each rear spring which has improved handling substantially, as the 03-04 leafs minus the bottom two leafs were a bit sloppy.

As always I will keep you guys updated one step at a time.

Ian OUT

Last edited by pitstain; 01-15-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2007 | 11:21 PM
Man! You're surely keeping busy. I guess you guys don't have any snow. That can't be far now. Winter has finally hit here.

I wouldn't mind seeing where you positioned your leaf clamps. Take a pic if you have a chance.

TB

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:52 PM
Ill take a pic, but they are about 8 inches from the end of the 3rd leaf up on the pack (bottom leaf for me since i did the 2 leaf delete). the main thing i noticed was the leafs were spreading apart pretty badly with the 2 bottom leafs deleted. it raised the rear end up quite a bit, close to stock 2002 ride height, not that I remember what that was too well anymore. LOL

luckily we have not had any snow YET. but as long as I can drive up north to my buddies house he has a veri nice large garage and a little kerosene heater.

I will work on my back in snow if need be to keep the progress going.

I just ordered up the bilstein 6013-H0 shocks (isuzu rodeo) tonight for the rear, since removing the socal extenders it has increased the angle at which they sit and damping is lacking just a tad for my taste out back, and Bilstein just make a better stock app. monotube, so I will run them on all 4 corners. Also the fact that these Koni's are discontinued makes running them silly in the long run.

I am really getting seasick riding around on these konis, very 1970's caddy'ish, great for long slow drives but not fun for "assertive" driving.

Old 01-16-2007 | 02:17 PM
well the Mr.Gasket spring rubbers showed up today, WOW are they beefy, the front shocks just got here as well YAY, and the steering stabilizer arrives thursday, If i have decent weather or hand warmers I will try to get the shocks and rubbers on this week.

Last edited by pitstain; 01-16-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:54 PM
Bilstein,

I am sorry I ever doubted you, Koni's meant nothing to me I swear, it was you all along PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!

well guys I did the spring rubbers/ Bilsteins tonight.....28 degrees out in an open air garage ! BRRRrrrrrRRRR.

I removed the Koni's and the twist in spring boosters, then installed the spring rubbers (with the help of lots of wd40 and a door trim tool and numerous naughty words), and the Bilstein 2478-H1 shocks. Back on the ground ride height was within 1/4" of what it was with the twist in boosters. Well I will never use anything but Bilsteins from now on, the L handled so much better, the rowboat in the ocean problem on the highway is gone, the brake modulation and dive is much better, and not surprisingly my bump steer has been reduced to a near acceptable level.

recap: tonights only changers were:

spring rubbers instead of twist in boosters, ride height basically unchanged.

Bilstein 2478-H1 shocks inplace of the Koni's, WHOA....

Thursday will be the steering stabilizer, and possibly rear Rodeo 6013-H0 Bilsteins for the rear.

Also replacing the knock sensor on my 98 subaru legacy EJ22 engine.....goodbye spark retardation...!!

Ian OUT!

Old 01-17-2007 | 10:54 PM
Is anyone out there? it's getting lonley in here.....

well I drove again tonight with no further changes, on the worst rutter parkway in the area I have to say these bilsteins, even with the stock springs and rubbers control thr ride as well as the stiffer hotchkis prings did, and have a less jarring ride to boot!

tomorrow night is hopefully the Bilstein rodeo shocks.

Old 01-17-2007 | 11:10 PM
|
I don't know that you can beat the Bilsteins for DD duty. Considering we're using the same leafs, I'm wondering about this separation you had occurring. I better check it out.

You're a busy man, Ian. No wonder you have pitstains

Old 01-17-2007 | 11:13 PM
I would have to say you definitley have some leaf spreading right now, the clamps are cheapos from autozone and helped alot. It's hard working in the freezing cold in an open air garage.

HAHAH it's too cold to sweat right now so no new stains right now LOL

Quick Reply: Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein