Lightning

Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007 | 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
. . . I think th heims may be overkill, . . .
I agree, but still don't want to stud mount the shocks. Ideally, I would like to find some Bilsteins the right length and valving with urethane eyes on both ends. I have no idea why stud mounting has become so popular.

Old 01-21-2007 | 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
I agree, but still don't want to stud mount the shocks. Ideally, I would like to find some Bilsteins the right length and valving with urethane eyes on both ends. I have no idea why stud mounting has become so popular.
Good luck finding those, I spent considerable time to find these rodeo shocks, they have the correct valving and length, you can easily run the heims Tim. If I happen upon some eye-eye mount units with the right length and correct valving, then trust me it will show up here as well. It boggles me too as for the studs, must be for ease or assembly or some BS like that.

With all of the length and valving info I have gathered I feel confident enough to think I could have some custom gas monotubes built to fit the bill though.

Old 01-22-2007 | 07:17 PM
. . . they have the correct valving . . .
"Correct" with reference to what? You have so many numbers bouncing around (thanks, though) that I have lost track.

Old 01-22-2007 | 08:05 PM
"Correct" with reference to what? You have so many numbers bouncing around (thanks, though) that I have lost track.
LOL Jerk!

Correct being just slightly stiffer than the 2478-H1's for front and "probably" similar to the 6013-H0's out back once I get them on and give them the now dubious Pitstain stamp of approval.

Old 01-23-2007 | 11:55 AM
Not trying to be a smart*ss, Ian. I'm just lost as to what the baseline is for "correct."

Please check out the new table assembling all your data on my shock page and tell me what's missing.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2007 | 12:48 PM
Tim,

That page looks fine to me sir, and my baseline will differ from yours if you are running the hotchkis leafs, since I am using the 03 leafs minus 2 the higher bound and slightly lower rebound the 6013's have should work nicley. But I doubt they would be anywhere near aweful if you used them with the Hotchkis springs...

Old 01-23-2007 | 09:35 PM
Please check out the new table assembling all your data on my shock page and tell me what's missing.

Thanks
i think i found a contradiction or maybe i'm just not reading this right.

(from your shock page)

Bilstein HEAVY DUTY shocks ("H0" suffix) are the standard OEM equipment on our trucks.
Bilstein SPORT shocks ("H1" suffix) are 30% stiffer than the heavy duty.

Bilstein describes the difference like this:

HEAVY DUTY (HD): For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

SPORT (S): For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface. Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, antisway bars or other suspension upgrades.

Bilstein BE5-2571-H0 (Supercrew)
Bilstein BE5-2478-H0 (Std F-150)
Bilstein BE5-2478-H1 (Lightning)

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by gbgary
i think i found a contradiction or maybe i'm just not reading this right.

(from your shock page)

Bilstein HEAVY DUTY shocks ("H0" suffix) are the standard OEM equipment on our trucks.
Bilstein SPORT shocks ("H1" suffix) are 30% stiffer than the heavy duty.

Bilstein describes the difference like this:

HEAVY DUTY (HD): For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

SPORT (S): For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface. Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, antisway bars or other suspension upgrades.

Bilstein BE5-2571-H0 (Supercrew)
Bilstein BE5-2478-H0 (Std F-150)
Bilstein BE5-2478-H1 (Lightning)
Actually Gary, the Ford OEM dampers are propietary to Ford and Bilstein does not sell them, they are only thru Ford and have different valving which I cannot get from anyone without a court order. so everything I listed is aftermarket. The Bilstein heavy duty ARE NOT the OEM dampers. Thank you for trying to help though.

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:32 PM
Not trying to be a smart*ss, Ian. I'm just lost as to what the baseline is for "correct."

Thanks
oh poop Tim Gary found an error, the 2478-H0 are not the actual OEM dampers......see my reply to Gary....

damm you Gary

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:33 PM
. . . The Bilstein heavy duty ARE NOT the OEM dampers. . .

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:35 PM
Actually, I'm also looking for missing data to fill in the table.

I guess what I'm getting at with the Rodeo-length shocks is: Does Bilstein not have Rodeo-length shocks with valving closer to the stock (or even H1) Bilsteins?

I'm tired of experimenting. The stock rate works. I just want that only shorter.

I want to get the suspension done (at least for now) and move on to the engine. Still stock after over four years is an embarassment, I tell ya.

Old 01-23-2007 | 11:44 PM
Tim,

sorry about the OEM snafoo, I didnt realize.....I am putting the rodeos on this weekend and I am fairly sure they will work out good. I will keep up the hunt for what you want though.

Old 01-23-2007 | 11:47 PM
|
I wish someone made an adjustable-rate sway bar for the Lightning. Similar to this, yet beefier:

Old 01-24-2007 | 10:59 AM
oh poop Tim Gary found an error,

damm you Gary
i know...there's one in every crowd.

Tim,

sorry about the OEM snafoo, I didnt realize.....I am putting the rodeos on this weekend and I am fairly sure they will work out good. I will keep up the hunt for what you want though.

just to be sure in my head...you're saying the passport bilsteins will be at, or near, stock settings for the rear, just shorter? if this is true, and they work out for you, i'll be selling all my nearly-new QA1s.

Last edited by gbgary; 01-24-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2007 | 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by gbgary
. . . just to be sure in my head...you're saying the passport bilsteins will be at, or near, stock settings for the rear, just shorter? . . .
That is the answer I am trying to get also.

My chart assembling the info from this thread shows the following:

Bilstein BE5-2479-H1 (2WD F150)("Sport") 550 c / 2020 r
Bilstein BE5-6013-H0 (Rodeo/Passport) 750 c / 1627 r

The Rodeos are 50% stiffer in compression, and 20% looser in rebound. That's why I'm confused with Ian's statement that they are "correct" for our application.

Ian, do you have the c/r data for the 2479-H0 (F150 "HD")?

According to one of your earlier posts in this thread, "Bilstein SPORT shocks ("H1" suffix) are 30% stiffer than the heavy duty." Is this still accurate?

And again, I ask: "Does Bilstein not have Rodeo-length shocks with valving closer to the stock (or even H1) Bilsteins?"

I'm not trying to break *****, Ian, I'm just a stickler for accurate data. You've been great to have taken the time to do all of this experimentation and to share your results with us.

Quick Reply: Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein