Lightning

Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
That is the answer I am trying to get also.

My chart assembling the info from this thread shows the following:

Bilstein BE5-2479-H1 (2WD F150)("Sport") 550 c / 2020 r
Bilstein BE5-6013-H0 (Rodeo/Passport) 750 c / 1627 r

The Rodeos are 50% stiffer in compression, and 20% looser in rebound. That's why I'm confused with Ian's statement that they are "correct" for our application.

Ian, do you have the c/r data for the 2479-H0 (F150 "HD")?

According to one of your earlier posts in this thread, "Bilstein SPORT shocks ("H1" suffix) are 30% stiffer than the heavy duty." Is this still accurate?

And again, I ask: "Does Bilstein not have Rodeo-length shocks with valving closer to the stock (or even H1) Bilsteins?"

I'm not trying to break *****, Ian, I'm just a stickler for accurate data. You've been great to have taken the time to do all of this experimentation and to share your results with us.
Tim,

As for the 6013-H0 rodeo's being a good choice, based on softer spring need higher bound and lower rebound shocks rule of thumb, then for stock or even de-leafed stock springs, the Rodeo's should be perfect as they will help control the softer rear springs better. for your uber stiff hotchkis they may not be optimal, but you said you were going back to stock 2002 springs if my memory serves me right. I have experienced first hand what a shock with too much rebound and too little rebound does when paired with stock rate and softer springs and it was not pleasant, if you want proof I will gladly send my old koni's to you.

My info on H1 being 30% or so stiffer that H0 is straight from Bilstein, from quite a few different tech reps. So take that for what its worth.

I may have the bound rebound data for the 2479-H0 somewhere at my office I will try to dig it up.

Tim I will continue my search for other shocks with the length of the 6013's and different C/R but so far all i have is the 6013-H0 and there is no H1 version of those.

Ball busting is fine with me, I get much worse treatment at work my boss is British........The only thing getting to me is I have tally'd up almost $1,000 in shocks so far to get where I am.....it's really eating into my Whipple budget.....

Just to let you guys know how set I am on finding shocks to make things handle as good as possible, I will divulge that I have yet to even put on my panhard bar until I get the rest of the suspension to optimal levels, I don't want to mask or bandaid things with a panhard.

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:29 PM
Tim,

I may have found something to suit you:

be5-6251-H5
eye to eye mount
rebound 2550 better for a stiff rear leaf
compression 700 a bit closer
length range 12-18.5
bolt id 1/2
sleeve width 33mm

The Ruslow upper heim mounts are only 22mm wide so a wider mount would need to be fabbed up

Oh yeah and its pretty and silver....

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:37 PM
BTW. If anyone needs the Ruslow Upper heim mount with grade 8 hardware minus the heims, I have a spare set.

Ian,
You are well on your way to be able to give a 3 hour lecture on shock selection.

TB

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
BTW. If anyone needs the Ruslow Upper heim mount with grade 8 hardware minus the heims, I have a spare set.

Ian,
You are well on your way to be able to give a 3 hour lecture on shock selection.

TB

LOL I pity those who have to hear me talk for more than 15 minutes......

Old 01-24-2007 | 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
Tim,

I may have found something to suit you:. . .
Thanks, Ian. Are you using some sort of technical reference guide? If so, where did you get it from?

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 01-24-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2007 | 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Thanks, Ian. Are you using some sort of technical reference guide? If so, where did you get it from?

Nope just good old detective work, and some angular questioning of tech reps from multiple shock manufacturer's....

Old 01-28-2007 | 09:05 PM
Installed the rodeo shocks today, they seem great so far....nothing really amazing either way but they control the motion nicley.

also installed the steering stabilizer, and panhard, seperatley one at a time with test drives.....

I don't know what impressed me more, the amazing response in turns from the panhard or the lack of steering jitters over bumps and reduced wandering on the highway.

I painted all components DSG, the plain white shock and gold zinc hardware was just too ugly....

and a couple of installed shots before I put the protective shock boot on.

Old 01-28-2007 | 09:10 PM
oh and heres the rodeo shocks from koni and bilstein.

Old 01-29-2007 | 07:13 PM
Who makes the steering stabilizer?

Old 01-29-2007 | 08:40 PM
Rough Country item#87348

I bought it from http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/ind...umber=87348+HK it is $44.99

Fabtech makes one as well but it is more difficult to install, may not fit, uses the same damper, and it double the price.

Old 01-29-2007 | 10:38 PM
First "Rodeo" shocks, now "Rough Country" steering.

Old 01-29-2007 | 10:41 PM
Interesting. I've only seen steering stabilizers on lifted vehicles. How does the steering feel when making quick sharp turns? I'm just wondering why you had so much bump steer and wandering. Aren't you running the stock springs and BT spindles?

Isn't beeing a pioneer fun?

Red

Old 01-29-2007 | 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
. . . I've only seen steering stabilizers on lifted vehicles. . . .
Don't forget sport bikes and boats.

Old 01-29-2007 | 11:25 PM
Red or is it TB.....LOL why the hell cant you just pick a screen name....

I am running stock springs, with Mr. Gasket rubbers, thin hotchkis isolators, and belltech drop spindles, with bilstein shocks. I Have very icky yucky roads here, all the parkways are rutted like the truck lanes in Pennsylvania, and ANY car will tram all over the ruts, I also am subjected to more potholes than the average guy, except for maybe Tim S. The steering feels perfectly fine when making quick slalom type manuveres which I did in the parking garage when I went home, I raced up 7 floor of garage and dodged a few garbage cans in the process, the steering still self centers as good as before, when not moving it does not recoil as much as before though, which I like.

Tim, you happy little AS$Clown make fun all you want but my new sponsor just sent me a free sample for the brokeback cowboys like myself.

Not much pioneering left in me this winter besides that new aeroforce OBDII gauge when it comes out, OH WAIT the new rear frame brace and the new Ruslow X-bracing.....hmmmm YES there is hope for my winter.

Old 01-29-2007 | 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
Red or is it TB.....LOL why the hell cant you just pick a screen name....

Red got banned in 2003 on F-150 for making a positive comment on the SRT-10 truck... Those damn Ford fanatics.

What are you planing for a rear frame brace?

Quick Reply: Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein