Lightning

Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Great tech, Ian! Thanks

No problemo Tim, I went to the periodontist again tonight.....he used navacaine this time but DAMMM that scaling hurts like a biznatch.

BTW what you said on nloc was very nice about the bathwater...I was touched, really.

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
No problemo Tim, I went to the periodontist again tonight.....he used navacaine this time but DAMMM that scaling hurts like a biznatch.

BTW what you said on nloc was very nice about the bathwater...I was touched, really.
Now you have me intrigued... Touched really? How about a link to those words of wisdom.

You are right on the button about that Bilstein info. Sure wished they had adjustable damping like Koni or if only Koni made them for our trucks.

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Now you have me intrigued... Touched really? How about a link to those words of wisdom.

You are right on the button about that Bilstein info. Sure wished they had adjustable damping like Koni or if only Koni made them for our trucks.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthre...=133767&page=2

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:54 PM
I would also agree with Tim's comments. Very few people are posting any substance. Hey, I got banned from this site in 2003 for posting some positive comments about the SRT-10. Some Ford fanatic didn't like that. Just register under oilstain...

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:56 PM
I would also agree with Tim's comments. Very few people are posting any substance. Hey, I got banned from this site in 2003 for posting some positive comments about the SRT-10. Some Ford fanatic didn't like that. Just register under oilstain...

tee hee ... snicker snicker.....giggle giggle......I was thinking of using the screen name BigP .... LOL

Old 09-14-2006 | 04:05 PM

well they have some for the rear, just not the front. and i'll bet they make something that will work, we just haven't figured out which one it is.

Old 09-14-2006 | 07:51 PM
very possible, it is a box standard t-bar lower - stud upper shock......just need the right lenght and stroke, and presto!!!!

Old 09-18-2006 | 12:15 PM
|
According to Bilstein Tech support they are FIRMER than factory and specifically for the lightning......nobody seems to buy these because of the hooplah surrounding the Hotchkis jobs, which in reality are NOT custom at all, but are in fact spec'ed for VAN duty.
Very interesting. I'm reinstalling my stock Bilstein's tonight for further comparison to the Hotchkis. Thanks for this info. I think I will try the Sport spec as well.

I’ve also been experimenting with the ’04 leaf pack with very interesting results. Inexplicably to me, my push hasn’t noticeably increased while removing the bottom two leafs (running the three longest leafs now). Rear endlink adjustment has also seemed to make no difference, in either turn-in responce, or roll. These results don't jive with the same changes made to my car's rear suspension.

Old 09-18-2006 | 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by scv8
Very interesting. I'm reinstalling my stock Bilstein's tonight for further comparison to the Hotchkis. Thanks for this info. I think I will try the Sport spec as well.

I’ve also been experimenting with the ’04 leaf pack with very interesting results. Inexplicably to me, my push hasn’t noticeably increased while removing the bottom two leafs (running the three longest leafs now). Rear endlink adjustment has also seemed to make no difference, in either turn-in responce, or roll. These results don't jive with the same changes made to my car's rear suspension.
I will be installing an '04 leaf set with the bottom overload removed and ruslow sliders....what did you do with the shim that is on the 04 leafs...i dont remember having a shim on my 02 leafs originally.

Old 09-18-2006 | 01:46 PM
|
You're correct regarding the shim. I went ahead and reversed the stock shim 180 degrees. When I deleted the overload spring, I reduced the ride height by approximately 1/2". Your mileage may vary. Thanks again for the intel! I can't believe your were banned over there.

Old 09-18-2006 | 01:52 PM
You're correct regarding the shim. I went ahead and reversed the stock shim 180 degrees. When I deleted the overload spring, I reduced the ride height by approximately 1/2". Your mileage may vary. Thanks again for the intel! I can't believe your were banned over there.
Ok I was hoping to ditch the shim altogether.....but I'll rotate it if need be. total drop should end up around 2" to 2 1/2" with no overload leaf and Stan's sliders.......I can beleive I was banned, just can't beleive there was NO warning.....just wham BAN thankyou mamm' .....

Old 09-19-2006 | 06:57 PM
|
That sounds like a good setup. You may not need the shims for a 2.5" drop. What are you planning for dampers?

Suspension is all about compromise, isn’t it? And nothing is more subjective than ride quality.

Having just returned to the stock setup, it has dawned on me that the SVT engineers knew what they were doing. The truck rides great and yet is still more "toss-able" than most cars. Next up are the Hellwig sway bars. We'll see how they play into the mix!

Old 09-19-2006 | 07:02 PM
That sounds like a good setup. You may not need the shims for a 2.5" drop. What are you planning for dampers?

Suspension is all about compromise, isn’t it? And nothing is more subjective than ride quality.

Having just returned to the stock setup, it has dawned on me that the SVT engineers knew what they were doing. The truck rides great and yet is still more "toss-able" than most cars. Next up are the Hellwig sway bars. We'll see how they play into the mix!
I will be using the bilstein sport shocks sine I am going with stock springs front and rear. I will also be moving to a hellwig front bar and ditching the hotchkis later on

Old 09-20-2006 | 11:15 AM
I will be using the bilstein sport shocks sine I am going with stock springs front and rear. I will also be moving to a hellwig front bar and ditching the hotchkis later on
Pit,
I could be wrong but I believe that Bisltein listed the sport version of their shock but never introduced it...

Let us know.

TB

Old 09-20-2006 | 01:19 PM
its available, has been for a long time...just a slightly stiffer version of the stock 2001-2004 shocks

Quick Reply: Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein