Lightning

Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006 | 07:49 PM
|
Well, I’ve settled on the OEM dampers over the Hotch, for use with the stock springs. It’s simply a better overall match.

I suppose due to the damping, the Hotch would give a “wallowing” effect over bumps during hard cornering. It was very similar to what you’d feel with worn shocks. This valving mismatch would also manifest itself when checking the shocks buy pushing up and down on the front end. The stock shocks will stop on the first rebound. The Hotch would compress and rebound twice.

Oh well, it was worth a try!

Old 10-05-2006 | 08:49 PM
SCV8, I want to follow up on your research and Ian's tech. Would you please post the part #'s of your stock and "Hotchkis" front and rears? They are stamped into the shock tube just above the bottom eye.

Old 10-05-2006 | 10:21 PM
I have yet to order my SPORT bilsteins.....but when I do I will post my observations....I just blew my shock money on a Innovate wideband...DOH !

also I really feel Hotchkis's (unnoficial off the record) info on the hps1000 shocks simply being heavy duty VAN shocks is becoming more solid by what SVC8 just reported.....

Old 10-05-2006 | 10:22 PM
Oh yea I almost forgot LETS GO METS!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2006 | 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
. . . also I really feel Hotchkis's (unnoficial off the record) info on the hps1000 shocks simply being heavy duty VAN shocks is becoming more solid by what SVC8 just reported.....
No need to speculate further. I have the full Bilstein app guide. All I need is the part #'s.

Old 10-05-2006 | 11:45 PM
So what are you gonna run now Travis?

Old 10-08-2006 | 11:19 AM
|
Rob- I’m going to stick with the stock shocks while I test out the Hellwig sway bars. Hoping for stockish ride quality with flat cornering.

Tim- Here is the part number for the Hotchkis front shocks:

0506 BE5 2571 HO

The “H” has an X stamped through it on both shocks. The stamp has nicked the yellow paint - possibly done in the aftermarket? I will post the stock part numbers as soon as I return from my trip. I didn't try the rear Hotckis, but I'll get a hold of the part numbers. I'm very interested to see what the application guide reveals.

Thanks!
Travis

Old 10-08-2006 | 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by scv8
. . . 0506 BE5 2571 HO . . .
That's the part number listed for the SuperCrew, Expedition, Blackwood, and Navigator.

But the "X" does add some uncertainty. Maybe Bilstein uses it to denote that they are specially valved.

Old 10-09-2006 | 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by scv8
Well, I’ve settled on the OEM dampers over the Hotch, for use with the stock springs. It’s simply a better overall match.

I suppose due to the damping, the Hotch would give a “wallowing” effect over bumps during hard cornering. It was very similar to what you’d feel with worn shocks. This valving mismatch would also manifest itself when checking the shocks buy pushing up and down on the front end. The stock shocks will stop on the first rebound. The Hotch would compress and rebound twice.

Oh well, it was worth a try!
The impression was always that the Hotchkis had firmer valving than all other Bilstein shock for the LIghtning. This would indicate that the valving is actually softer than the stock Bislteins. Really?

Old 10-09-2006 | 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
The impression was always that the Hotchkis had firmer valving than all other Bilstein shock for the LIghtning. This would indicate that the valving is actually softer than the stock Bislteins. Really?
Certainly not Lightning-specific. The same Hotchkis part #'s are used for all shocks for all 97-03 trucks. Seems to fly in the face of the following:

"The HPS 1000 shock is designed like all other Hotchkis Performance parts, it's designed to perform. Shocks need to be tuned with spring rates and vehicle weights in mind, that's why one valve fit's all or universal shocks just don't optimize performance often sacrificing ride comfort for performance. Tuned in house and manufactured by Bilstein, this shock offers a seamless transition between comfort and control. Each shock is specifically engineered and tuned to offer the ultimate performance and ride.. "

The Lightning and SuperCrew have very different vehicle weights, and very different Hotchkis spring rates, but Hotchkis supplies the exact same shock for each.

And "tuned in house" must mean that Hotchkis tried a few Bilstein-supplied variants and decided which was best. I could be wrong, but looking at the shock bodies, I don't believe that it is even possible to remove the guts and "tune" one in the field - they are high-pressure gas shocks with a crimped-on end cap. Maybe Bilstein has some field-serviceable demo shocks that they send to tuners. Dunno.

OTOH, the stamped "X" could well be Hotchkis' way of denoting to Bilstein that they have been inside the shock.

Old 10-09-2006 | 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Certainly not Lightning-specific. The same Hotchkis part #'s are used for all shocks for all 97-03 trucks. Seems to fly in the face of the following:

"The HPS 1000 shock is designed like all other Hotchkis Performance parts, it's designed to perform. Shocks need to be tuned with spring rates and vehicle weights in mind, that's why one valve fit's all or universal shocks just don't optimize performance often sacrificing ride comfort for performance. Tuned in house and manufactured by Bilstein, this shock offers a seamless transition between comfort and control. Each shock is specifically engineered and tuned to offer the ultimate performance and ride.. "

The Lightning and SuperCrew have very different vehicle weights, and very different Hotchkis spring rates, but Hotchkis supplies the exact same shock for each.

And "tuned in house" must mean that Hotchkis tried a few Bilstein-supplied variants and decided which was best. I could be wrong, but looking at the shock bodies, I don't believe that it is even possible to remove the guts and "tune" one in the field - they are high-pressure gas shocks with a crimped-on end cap. Maybe Bilstein has some field-serviceable demo shocks that they send to tuners. Dunno.

OTOH, the stamped "X" could well be Hotchkis' way of denoting to Bilstein that they have been inside the shock.
Tim, trust me on this. Unfortunately, 95% of the auto market is bull**** where the distributors promise the moon and actually deliver a fraction of what they have promised. And the number of people that make the stuff is shrinking all the time. The trend to manufacture in China is accelerating rapidly. The only people that are equipped to re-valve that shock is Bistein and they offer that service. Hotchkis don't even touch that shock. Their sales pitch is that everything they offer is built to work together is a bunch of crock. Only a proper engineer could properly engineer such a system and I would be very surprised if they even have one engineer on staff. Most of the aftermarket are distributors and have no involvement in the conception of the product. Most of these companies don't. Go do an audit to see if there is an engineer on staff at JDM Engineering. I would be surprised if anybody there even has a high school diploma.

TB

Last edited by TrackBeast; 10-09-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2006 | 10:21 PM
So I wonder if all this time, rather than it being the Hotckis shocks making the difference, it's been the suspension it's self seeing as tho most people running those shocks are running a lowered suspension?

Maybe they aren't revalved to be stiffer at all. Maybe they're just revalved to adjust for the difference in ride height. Is that kinka the conclusion that can be drawn here or am I missing something?

Don't beat me up too bad....

Old 10-09-2006 | 11:52 PM
Tim hit the nail on the head.....the hotchkis shocks are not special in any way other than the "HPS 1000" stickers......

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by pitstain
Tim hit the nail on the head.....the hotchkis shocks are not special in any way other than the "HPS 1000" stickers......
Just to be clear, Ian, I did not say that for sure, I just raised some questions. I am leaving open the possibility that the shocks are specially valved per Hotchkis testing. The "X" over the "O" must mean something.

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
. . . Only a proper engineer could properly engineer such a system and I would be very surprised if they even have one engineer on staff. . . .
Maybe not, but I know that they have plenty of folks down there that can tune a suspension.

There was also seemingly reliable information posted on one of these boards recently to the effect that Roush bought its Lightning springs from Hotchkis.

They might be stretching the truth a tad, but let's not get too harsh on Hotchkis. They are a good company making good products.

Quick Reply: Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein