Lightning

Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by 203Cree
. . . Maybe they aren't revalved to be stiffer at all. Maybe they're just revalved to adjust for the difference in ride height. . . .
The valving on the piston affects the compression and rebound characteristics. The length of the shaft controls where the piston rides within the shock. While it's true that having the piston in one extreme position or the other is bad for the shock's performance, that's not really a valving issue.

But assuming that you mean that the difference may just be shorter shafts, that's an interesting idea. Hotchkis might just spec a shorter shaft. I don't know if a hardened shaft can be rethreaded, but they might even shorten it themselves. To try to adapt the rear Bilsteins to use a top heim joint, I've been a studyin on that a bit myself.

Anyone have a Hotchkis shock lying around to measure?

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:36 AM
Tim I already have a Heim setup for the rears, just never installed it, I have the proper rod-ends and bolts and ruslow brackets.......the length is an issue though, with the Heim even so-cal extenders are not really enough to compensate.....

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by pitstain
Tim I already have a Heim setup for the rears, just never installed it, I have the proper rod-ends and bolts and ruslow brackets.......the length is an issue though, with the Heim even so-cal extenders are not really enough to compensate.....
That's why I'm studying on cutting down the shafts.

Where did you get the metric heims?

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:47 AM
I been thru the cutting down.....but the HPS 1000 stud is on the body not the shaft.....a regular bilstein however it might be different

Old 10-10-2006 | 01:49 AM
Old 10-10-2006 | 10:11 AM
I am building new lower shock mounts next week to work with the heims and put the shock in its optimal operating range. I will have pictures in the next 2 weeks.

TB

Old 10-10-2006 | 10:13 AM
I been thru the cutting down.....but the HPS 1000 stud is on the body not the shaft.....a regular bilstein however it might be different
You're saying that the shock sits upside down (the body of the shock is up and the shaft is down)?

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:44 PM
|
Here is a comparison of the stock rear shock to the Hotchkis (not mine):

I can't recall if I mentioned this, but the front Hotch has the same shaft length as stock.

That's the part number listed for the SuperCrew, Expedition, Blackwood, and Navigator.
Interesting. Although the "X" is an unknown, I wonder what those pedestrian models use in the way of spring rates. In any case, I'm convinced that my stock '04 shocks have firmer valving.

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:25 PM
As the photo shows above Tim they are indeed upside down.

PM me your address I will send you a pair of the proper metric Heim joints and bolts and you can play around with them yourself. In return I only ask your continued freindship and a foam squishy toy from any trade show or convention you have in your posession.

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton

But assuming that you mean that the difference may just be shorter shafts, that's an interesting idea. Hotchkis might just spec a shorter shaft. I don't know if a hardened shaft can be rethreaded, but they might even shorten it themselves. To try to adapt the rear Bilsteins to use a top heim joint, I've been a studyin on that a bit myself.
That's more or less what I was getting at,

Old 10-26-2006 | 04:52 PM
guys i have decided to order up some Koni shocks...apparently the moron i spoke to at Koni was wrong and the Koni red "specials" will fit on a lightning with stock springs.....E.G. drop spindles up front with stock springs and a mild rear drop with shock extenders...

I spoke with Mark @ Shox.com who has been in the shock biz for over 30 years and he stated that the Koni red's adjusted halfway would equal the Bilsteins offered for the Lightning, turned up higher they would be even stiffer.....soooooo even though they need to be removed to adjust them they are rebound adjustable monotube gas shocks.........basically a RELIABLE adjustable shock

I will be ordering them tuesday and will probably have them in hand by the end of next week.....

Report WITH PICTURES TO COME !

Old 10-26-2006 | 05:47 PM
model #'s?

Old 10-26-2006 | 07:11 PM
guys i have decided to order up some Koni shocks...apparently the moron i spoke to at Koni was wrong and the Koni red "specials" will fit on a lightning with stock springs.....E.G. drop spindles up front with stock springs and a mild rear drop with shock extenders...

I spoke with Mark @ Shox.com who has been in the shock biz for over 30 years and he stated that the Koni red's adjusted halfway would equal the Bilsteins offered for the Lightning, turned up higher they would be even stiffer.....soooooo even though they need to be removed to adjust them they are rebound adjustable monotube gas shocks.........basically a RELIABLE adjustable shock

I will be ordering them tuesday and will probably have them in hand by the end of next week.....

Report WITH PICTURES TO COME !
Yeah keep us posted buddy

Old 10-26-2006 | 07:38 PM
So what's the prefered shock on the TVS. Who has tried both the stock shock and the Hotchkins "specially tuned" shock on their TVS. Opinions? Experiences? Any difference in performance/ride quality?

Old 10-26-2006 | 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by brain bypass
model #'s?
front
30 1658

rear
30 1659

it says EXC. super duty and lightning ...but theyre morons we shall see

Quick Reply: Shock dyno: Hotchkis-Bilstein