Lightning

Found my annoying rattling noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006 | 09:46 AM
|
Found my annoying rattling noise!!!!

And by accident.

I've had this annoying , deep rattling noise for a while now. Sometimes when I come to a stop, and it's in D, i get this deep rattling sounding noise, comes from under the drivers seat area....or so I thought.

I looked under there and checked everything, couldn't find anything. Not the cats, nothing hitting. I was convinced it was comming from my torque convertor.

So yesterday i was driving my buddy home, and was telling him about the problem. So when i dropped him off, he got out and I was like watch......sure enough it started making the noise. Well he was kinda leaning on the side of the truck and happened to put his foot against my exhaust pipes and it STOPPED!!!

He was like ok, cya. I yelled no no no, what did you just do?

He said i put my foot on the pipe. So now we check it. Surer than **** it stopped.

So I go home and check, there is nothing hitting or touching the mid pipes or catback, but something is creating a harmonic, it it actually resignates up to the headers like an amplifier. It's the weirdest thing!!!

So now, i have to figure out what the hell it could be. I noticed that the rear exhaust hanger isn't hanging anything really, so i think the catback is just hanging itself off the midpipe connection.

The oddities my truck has.

Not to mention my buddy kept egging me on to punch it on the way home. I was like ummm..........not unless you wanna walk home because i still haven't gotten around to changing my pullies.

Old 08-22-2006 | 10:34 AM
D-

Is your cat back haning on the rubber bushings or do you have it welded?

Old 08-22-2006 | 02:57 PM
|
well,

the rubber hangers are there, but they are just floating. Definately no weight being supported by them.

Give me a shout. I'm off this week. Gotta come by and check out the new place.

Old 08-22-2006 | 03:14 PM
Bring the truck up to Lou's and have them weld hangers.... im home all this week drop by whenever!

Old 08-22-2006 | 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
the rubber hangers are there, but they are just floating. Definately no weight being supported by them.

Give me a shout. I'm off this week. Gotta come by and check out the new place.
I was getting the same kind of noise, it turned out the bolt that attaches the rearmost hanger to the frame was loose. I found it after putting my foot on the tailpipes also.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2006 | 08:35 PM
Sorry, my money is still on the cat.

Old 08-22-2006 | 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
Bring the truck up to Lou's and have them weld hangers.... im home all this week drop by whenever!
Mike how can you recomend Lou's after they hacked up your exhaust

Don Bring your truck to Pezzi's in Chelsea he did my Bronco's exhaust and did a awesome Job, If you have ever seen that 240Z that looks like a Ferrari with the big Chevy engine that runs on street nights, thats his dads car and he built it.

Old 08-22-2006 | 09:43 PM
I had a similar problem 2 years ago. Turned out to be the bracket that mounts the drivers side crossover pipe on the front middle, broke the weld and was rattling on idle when in drive.

Old 08-22-2006 | 11:28 PM
|
hahahah

Sorry, my money is still on the cat.
You are a riot guy. I just freaking told you what the problem is and your convinced it's still the cat.

for like the 10th time. IT IS NOT THE CAT RATTLING. This was determined a LONG TIME AGO

Old 08-22-2006 | 11:58 PM
did you check the top of the cat? maybe it is seperating?

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:10 AM
Your buddy was resting his foot on your exhaust, thats by far the weirdest thing in this thread.

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:26 AM
|
ahhh

Title of thread........I found the noise.............it's not the cat!!!!!!

Not the cat

Not the cat

Not the cat

Your buddy was resting his foot on your exhaust, thats by far the weirdest thing in this thread.
Yeah, it was like weirdest thing. We were talking and he just happed to put the bottom of his shoe up against the pipes and the instant he did it, the noise halted.

Probably would never happen again for 100 years.

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Title of thread........I found the noise.............it's not the cat!!!!!!

Not the cat

Not the cat

Not the cat

Yeah, it was like weirdest thing. We were talking and he just happed to put the bottom of his shoe up against the pipes and the instant he did it, the noise halted.

Probably would never happen again for 100 years.
if you think its the cat,,just change it out???

Old 08-23-2006 | 05:38 AM
tallimeca, what's odd is that I have a similar problem.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=250905

However do you hear the noise when you are driving as well? Do you hear the thumping bass noise if the truck is off and you shake it side to side like you were having a wild seizure in the cab? If not turn the ignition on but do not start the truck; is the noise still audible?

Old 08-23-2006 | 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Don's Bolt
Mike how can you recomend Lou's after they hacked up your exhaust

Don Bring your truck to Pezzi's in Chelsea he did my Bronco's exhaust and did a awesome Job, If you have ever seen that 240Z that looks like a Ferrari with the big Chevy engine that runs on street nights, thats his dads car and he built it.
All they have to do is weld in new hangers... they can get that right... hopefully....

Quick Reply: Found my annoying rattling noise!!!!