Lightning

Restoration Project: Factory Options? Replacement Parts? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restoration Project: Factory Options? Replacement Parts? Opinions?

First off, I have to say that tracking down a full set of 5 (1 spare) perfect condition 2001 Lightning wheels, the flat faced version, is proving difficult at best...but...it'll be worth it in the end. Plenty of people just refuse to show you any proof that they are not cheap knock-offs, or as they call them "replicas" .

The previous owner drove the Lightning through fine gravel , some rocks even got stuck in the gaps between the rear light pods and the body. There are MANY scratches (along with curious black marks on the front bumper...), but after searching for a Lightning and having not found one that hadn't been wrecked...I figured the scratches were the lesser of two evils and walked away with a Lightning.

So, now I'm working on restoring the damage done to it, and I've got some questions...

Was there ever an option for the Lightnings to be equipped with the sunvisor mounted Homelink system?

Where can I get stock alluminum/chrome/billet/shiny plastic interior door handle replacements?

What do you guys think about switching from the 2003 slot-type grill over to the older honeycomb style?

Was a detailed Ford mechanics manual made for the Lightnings or was it mostly just mechanics referring to the F150 manuals?

Is the Goodyear Gatorbelt Lightning belt worth the money? Looking at switching out stock pulleys...

Anyone here buy any parts for their Lightnings from Troyer Performance? My dad has had good dealings with them...but that was for his 2005 F150...

Old 08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
mike tunes my truck and ive always had good luck with him. keep the black door handles, the chrome ones will peel and if ur not careful they will cut u. gatorback belt is a good one, so is a gates, gatorback came with my 4lb lower so thats what i got. havnt ever heard bout a option for a homelink.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Any reason in particular, other than looks, that the 2001 Lightning wheels (flat faced) are a "hot" item?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by X150
Any reason in particular, other than looks, that the 2001 Lightning wheels (flat faced) are a "hot" item?
They're not really. You can almost always find a set for sale, search the classifieds on all the Lightning boards. Going prices tend to be between $80 up to $120 each if in perfect condition. You could go buy new replicas for around $120 each, But IMO the quality just isn't the same as OEM from the ones I've seen.

IMO the gatorback belt is worth every penny. I've had a couple of different brands including a Gates and they all slipped way more than the Gatorback and I'm only running a 4# pulley.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Update:

I got a full set of 01 wheels with Toyo Proxies (the guy had just bought them a week prior) for $350...so I practically stole them...ya know....I actually feel kinda bad...

Any way to fix scratches and nicks on them? If not...oh well...

Quick Reply: Restoration Project: Factory Options? Replacement Parts? Opinions?