Lightning

How do I prevent the bar on the driver’s seat wearing thru?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006 | 07:52 AM
|
How do I prevent the bar on the driver’s seat wearing thru?

If I push down on the drivers seat I can feel the bar in there and it’s just starting to make a mark on my seat. What can I do about this bar and keep it from wearing a hole. Also can just the drivers seat be removed without removing the passengers seat?

Old 08-23-2006 | 09:48 AM
Yes the Driver's seat comes out seperately.

Old 08-23-2006 | 11:07 AM
Okole Seat Covers and a high protein diet.

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:05 PM
Here is what I did

Took the seat out, and removed the bottom cover and foam. In my case the bar had gone most of the way through the foam. So I glued the foam back together, and then glued some burlap on the bottom of the foam where the metal bar sits. I also wrapped the bar with some thin foam.

If you have a auto seat place neer you, they can do the same thing in about a hour.

Do it now before the bar goes through the fabric.

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:15 PM
First you don't have to remove the seat. This was a common problem talked about years ago. The bar would wear through the original seat cover even if you have them covered because it's caused by the support bar from below. This is the bar in question https://www.f150online.com/galleries/...=8614&anum=926
This is one of the suggestions to fix it https://www.f150online.com/galleries/...=8617&anum=926
Another solution was to just remove the bar by bending it back and forth a few times and break it off. That's what I did to mine and you can't tell at all. Remember you don't need to remove the seat from the truck to do either fix. Just the lower side cover on the seat. Then just peel back the seat cover and foam to see the bar. To remove the plastic side cover the lumbar **** just pulls off and a few screws on the cover need to be removed. My 2000 had 2 plastic rivits on the front of the lower cover but other guys said their's were screwed on. There is enough play in the seat position switch wiring to move the panel out of the way to get the job done. It's really very easy and takes less then an hour. I hope you find this helpful.

Old 08-23-2006 | 02:04 PM
dealership is gonna fix mine friday,says it happens all the time. Im getten a new cover and they are gonna put something over the bar. btw mine only has 8k miles

Old 08-23-2006 | 05:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by SilverBolt
First you don't have to remove the seat. This was a common problem talked about years ago. The bar would wear through the original seat cover even if you have them covered because it's caused by the support bar from below. This is the bar in question https://www.f150online.com/galleries/...=8614&anum=926
This is one of the suggestions to fix it https://www.f150online.com/galleries/...=8617&anum=926
Another solution was to just remove the bar by bending it back and forth a few times and break it off. That's what I did to mine and you can't tell at all. Remember you don't need to remove the seat from the truck to do either fix. Just the lower side cover on the seat. Then just peel back the seat cover and foam to see the bar. To remove the plastic side cover the lumbar **** just pulls off and a few screws on the cover need to be removed. My 2000 had 2 plastic rivits on the front of the lower cover but other guys said their's were screwed on. There is enough play in the seat position switch wiring to move the panel out of the way to get the job done. It's really very easy and takes less then an hour. I hope you find this helpful.
The links don't work?

Old 08-23-2006 | 06:28 PM
I just used a pair of long nose pliers and was able to carefully bend the end of it down so it no longer rubs against the seat cover.

Old 08-23-2006 | 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by 69-mustang
The links don't work?
Sorry about that. Try these:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...=8614&anum=926
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...=8617&anum=926

Old 08-23-2006 | 10:14 PM
I had this issue years ago, not uncommon, they fixed mine by pulling the seat and cover and wrapping the metal bar in padding and overpadding that side of the seat, I've had zero issues since.

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:46 AM
|
Cool, thanks for the pictures, how is the cloth held down on the seat?

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by 69-mustang
Cool, thanks for the pictures, how is the cloth held down on the seat?
Just stretched over the foam pad. It's very easy to fix, don't sweat it.

Old 08-24-2006 | 08:27 PM
I've had mine for 6 years and never had a problem, I don't know what happens to these seats...

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by LightninSVT
I've had mine for 6 years and never had a problem, I don't know what happens to these seats...
Sometimes is just the way you get out of the truck. If you slide off the seat to exit the truck the foam will compress against the bar in the pictures above. If you're a heavier person it may be worse. Anyway, the tell tail sign that it's starting to happen is the material on the seat starts to look a little "funny" in one spot around the middle of the left pad on the seat. If it's left go it will ruin the seat cover. If you can't see anything, don't worry about it. It's probably not happening to your seat. Mine was fine for 5 years then my wife started driving it more. It wasn't because of weight with her but the way she got out of the truck. Then mine was just starting to show the wear and I acted quickly before it got bad. No more problem.

Old 08-27-2006 | 07:33 PM
|
Well, I fixed mine this weekend. It was worse than I thought, that rod just cuts right thru the foam. Has anyone done the pasenger side? I was thinking of doing mine.

Quick Reply: How do I prevent the bar on the driver’s seat wearing thru?