Lightning

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question

I already have a Bassani cat back, but my question is how much louder will my truck be with high flow catted mids? Also how much louder would it be with an off road mid? Is there any performance gains/loses between the off road and catted mids?

Thanks
Damon

Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Wink No One Really Seems To Know The Answer To Your Questions

Over the last few years changing to high flow cats with built motor has stirred quite a debate how much horsepower [a loud exhaust does not make horsepower] In fact a loud exhaust can give a false sence of horsepower. if you have a built motor i am sure 2 cat mid pipes help some with bassani exhaust. But you might lose a little low in torque and it will be loud.

Last edited by tlfwatch; 08-24-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
In answer to your questions. 1) adding a hi-flow cat pipe WILL increase the sound. Adding an off-road midpipe (catless) will make it even louder. And yes performance gains are to be had with either the hi-flow cat and a tad more with the catless system. The most power increases in the exhaust are at the cats. Even more than adding headers, on a moderately modded lightning. Cat- backs add hardley any power at all.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:03 PM
I've got Bassani catless mids and the Bassani catback - it's pretty loud and drones heavily at highway cruising speeds - doesn't bother me, but I can see where it would bother others. Can't really tell that it's down on any power though - these things make so much low end grunt that it's hard to tell.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question