Lightning

Difference In Gasoline Shell Vs Exxon????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Difference In Gasoline Shell Vs Exxon????

Lightning friends got a question on gasoline shell verses exxon we have both here 93 octane i know that gas companys have different additives.
which is the best shell or exxon i belive some gasolines are better than others just have to know which. I just wish we had sonoco here

Last edited by tlfwatch; 08-25-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Those are probably my two least favorite brands. Many years ago before the Lightning I would only buy Exxon. After getting the first generation superchip in my truck I found that Exxon and Shell gas would make the truck ping. It took me almost a year to figure it out that the engine would only ping on Exxon and Shell gasoline it didn't matter which station or what time of year, the cheaper stations like Citgo, Diamond Shamrock or race track were the ones that didn't ping. I have a better tune now, but I've still stopped buying Exxon and Shell gas for the most part.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Gas is gas is gas... its all mixed in tanker trucks, pipelines, etc. When you buy gas from "Shell", you have no way of know its an actuall shell product unless you watched the truck drive from the shell plant to the shell station.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's true that gas is gas, but the question was about additive packages. Different companies used different packages.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
It's true that gas is gas, but the question was about additive packages. Different companies used different packages.

Yes, they use different packages. But is that in the processing of the fuel or while its in the tanker trucks? If its in the process of making the fuel, you would never know what additive you are pumping with your gas.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:16 PM
the gas is mixed at the pump/tanker

Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 PM
gas is junk

that's what it is. We are getting so much water in the fuel up here it's not even funny.

Pretty sad. I had to modify a water seperator to my 30 gal caddy we use at the shop. Furthermore, we are now using a glass flask, which we are filling with the can first, before putting it into customers equipment. We've had so many customers bringing their equipment back that we just fixed, yelling at us how we didn't fix it right. Pull the carb bowl and the f'n thing is FULL of water again!!!!!

It's getting bad. REAL BAD.

Talking to a Harley Tech the other day. Said they are having a huge problem with the fuel injected bikes. Computer is throwing off misfire codes left and right. He said they are making a new program, or chip or something because the problem is because of the fuel and there's nothing they can do about it.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:33 PM
From Superchip's Distributor:

"1.) There IS a difference in fuels - it is NOT true that all fuels are the same, that is quite obvious by doing proper fuel mileage testing, as well as tuning using *proper* controls - which is rarely actually done.

2.) I couldn't care less who owns Citgo - it is the best fuel that we can find in many areas here in the East, my 11-second Lighting runs best on it, as do all of our other vehicles - it allows us the most aggressive tuning and delivers the best fuel mileage at any state of tune for a given octane level, thus indicating clearly a higher BTU content. It's also on both Ford and BMW's good gas list, though these days, that does not necessarily mean a whole lot, as lately there are some fuels on that list I wouldn't' touch with a 10 foot pole.

3.) You aren't going to change *any* government based on what brand of fuel you buy - and no, I don't care for the government of Ven., either. But I will continue to use and recommend Citgo here in the East - just as I will continue to tell people that if they want to do their own informal testing of fuels to use, do properly controlled fuel mileage testing, as the fuel that delivers the highest fuel mileage under the same basic driving conditions (at the same time of year!) is generally the fuel with the higher BTU content - and the additives put into the fuels at the final point of distribution DO indeed have an effect on energy content, detergency levels, etc.

With all of that said - everyone use whatever fuel makes you happy - but don't complain about tuning results, fuel mileage, detonation, etc., when using off-brand, no-names fuels, or when using the cheapest gas you can find - all that does is assure you (generally speaking, there will be the occasional exception of course) of the lowest quality fuel."

"Union 76 works nicely especially out west in areas where premiums are only 91octane, also Citgo, Texaco, and in a number of areas, Shell. Chevron is spotty ."

"here in the east, brands like Citgo, Sunoco, Texaco & Shell generally work very well."

"In short, steer clear of all off-brands and no-names, and Exxon and BP/Amoco as well, as they usually have lower BTU content and thus deliver lower MPG, generally speaking."

Dan

Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Working for one of the largest fuel consumers around (Uncle Sam) I have taken several classes on fuels. Granted we burn mostly Diesel variations, but I deal directly with the manufactuerer every day. We just (this year) switched over to a shell contract after years of Mobil products. Shell is basically the snobs of the industry, and the clean freaks. We have used oil/fuel filters ten fold since the switch, and the difference is plain to see. The shell products are cleaning out years of deposits left on the fuel and oil sides of our engines and leaving them clean. Shell is VERY strict about cleanliness, product handling, and quality control, and it is obvious in the quality of our product and the containers our products are delivered in. I also spoke with our fleet rep about the automotive side, just for kicks. They claim while the fuel may all come from the same place, they hold the product to higher standards and tests, only deliver in SHELL trucks, not contractor low bid services, and add far more detergency than other brands. Will all this help your Lightning? I don't know. Just thought I'd throw out what I know, as I am currently burning 8000 gallons of fuel a day!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Get out and walk..Ride a bike..hump a horse...hitch hike...

Old 08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by whip
. . . They claim while the fuel may all come from the same place, they hold the product to higher standards and tests, only deliver in SHELL trucks, not contractor low bid services, and add far more detergency than other brands. . . .
Consistent with a famous trademark case where Shell sued a local retailer who was taking Rotella oil from 55 gal drums and re-selling in smaller containers. Shell claimed that the local retailer was not abiding by its strict quality control guidelines and the oil was being contaminated by poor handling.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 PM
also shell is a top tier gas company, do a search on "top tier gas" on the net. some interesting info on it. basically a few automotive companies got this to market.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Consistent with a famous trademark case where Shell sued a local retailer who was taking Rotella oil from 55 gal drums and re-selling in smaller containers. Shell claimed that the local retailer was not abiding by its strict quality control guidelines and the oil was being contaminated by poor handling.
That's standard in the industry as you have to be liscensed to repackage products and label it as Shell or whatever brand you're repackaging.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by MaxTorque02
That's standard in the industry as you have to be liscensed to repackage products and label it as Shell or whatever brand you're repackaging.
I understand, but to try to enforce that license against a non-contracting party via a trademark infringement suit, you have to produce evidence that the repackaging actually causes some lessening of product quality. What's surprising is that Shell was actually able to produce such evidence.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
What about gas from Military Base/Post gas stations???

Also, how much ethanol is added in most peoples areas? Most pumps in mine have a big fat sticker that says 10% ETHANOL. Seems like a lot to me.........

Last edited by halcyon; 08-28-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference In Gasoline Shell Vs Exxon????