Lightning

Spark Plug blows might be time for a Toyota, Chevy or GMC

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006 | 05:34 PM
|
Spark Plug blows might be time for a Toyota, Chevy or GMC

Ok…….First post here. I came across this forum after my 02 lighting had a spark plug blow out several weeks back. I was getting on the ramp freeway when I hear a load sound like something broke. Pulled over and saw the COP was loose. Was able to get the COP off and I see the spark plug was totally loose. Had the truck towed to my Ford dealership, and told me the spark plug had blown and destroyed the threads. The quoted repair was for a brand new cylinder head plus labor. It practically knocked me over when I heard it would be over $3500. I read on this forum that there is a lawsuit against Ford for defective cylinder heads. Since I can’t afford that labor/part cost I’m looking into getting the Timesert kit that I have found mentioned here.

I’m extremely disappointed with my Ford dealership and with Ford Motor Company for this. Dad was a Ford mechanic during the 70 and 80’s. My entire family drives Fords. Dad has a WindStar, one brother drives a Ranger and the other drives a Mustang. Loyal Ford customers. However my experience has left a very disgusting taste in my mouth. Dad has told me that I should consider exchanging the truck for a different make, and that is what I’m considering at this point. Get the repair done with the insert kit and go with a different automaker. Funny thing is my brother was in the market for a new truck, and has decided that his Ranger might be his last Ford after what I have experienced with my Lightning.

Anyway just wanted to find out about the Timesert kit and if it is really works without having to take the cylinder head off.

Old 08-28-2006 | 06:05 PM
Plenty of info here for the Time-Sert...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103042

Old 08-28-2006 | 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes the timesert works.

Sure, you can go buy a Toy, a GM, or Dodge (crap) pickup. But not one, I repeat NOT ONE of them currently made will ever hold a candle to a 2G Lightning. A plug blows out of the hole, yes, but have it repaired and go enjoy the finest pickup ever built by any manufacturer.

Either that or you can sell your Lightning & go get a Toy, dodge, Nissan, whatever. But, you'll be thinking about another Lightning before you know it. Mark my words.

Old 08-28-2006 | 06:48 PM
A buddy of mine has blown 2 here in the UK and still had them fixed without removing the head.

He still keeps the faith with his truck though.

Get it sorted and get back in the drivers seat.
You guys are so lucky to have such good tuners, truck & vendors in the US.

Old 08-28-2006 | 06:54 PM
Suspended
America, land of the fickle!

Old 08-28-2006 | 07:19 PM
I've owned several brands of vehicles, and your experience is far better than many I've had with the Ford dealer. With that said, The customer service I've had from Ford is far better than I've received from other brands.

IMO If Ford's customer service got 10 times better it would be on the verge of being acceptable. The only way to get good service is that you have to personally know somebody at the dealer that has the power to get things done.

With all the American car manufacturers down sizing, you can only expect this to get much worse over the coming years.

Old 08-29-2006 | 12:36 AM
Wifeb8,

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Yeah it sucked when mine blew a couple of months back (and yes it was the last one on the driver's side) but I had my mechanic put a helicoil insert in the head and it was good to go in less than 2 hours. He did not have to remove the head and the whole thing with labor and helicoil totalled $125. Mechanic was $75 and the Helicoil kit was $50. Find yourself a local mechanic that has done inserts before and you should be good to go for around $200 to $300. And stop whining, I mean, you'll be whining again in no time .

Peace

Old 08-29-2006 | 07:03 AM
Get the time-sert kit. It works

Old 08-29-2006 | 08:33 AM
I have never purchased an extended warranty on any vechile I have purchased except my L even though most were performance cars. I thought with it being a "supercharged Performance Truck" it might not be a bad idea. Well that $900 I spent for the 7Yr 60K mile protection turned out to be a real bargain. Yes I blew the same plug on the drivers side which the dealer charged $2,900 to repair. I also had my CPU go out. Will I ever sell my Lightning because of those issues?? HELL NO It's now paid for and will always be sitting in my garage.

Old 08-30-2006 | 10:22 AM
Oh well

Sounds like its time for ported and polished heads just get some stage 2 heads from LFP and you are out about the same money with more ponys

Old 09-02-2006 | 05:54 PM
|
Ok!.........Here is the update. Not good…….
Got the time-sert kit. Installed the kit over the fender and followed the instructions to the letter. Was very carefully to make sure that all the shavings were cleaned up.

Started up the truck and the plug held but now there is a misfire in the cylinder. Engine service light comes on and it’s idling roughly. Double checked that all the wiring was correct on that side even though I only had to disconnect two of the COP and fuel injector lines. Even went ahead and replaced the COP on the #6 to make sure that was not the problem. Still no luck. Need help on this. Already got close to $350 invested in the kit and COP.

Old 10-11-2006 | 08:54 AM
Repair Options

Wife, this is what my buddy and I do. Please check my profile and visit the web page. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2006 | 09:13 AM
Ford has a out of warranty repiar if your under so many miles and all you pay is $25.00. I forgot to term but if you need to know I can ask.

Old 10-11-2006 | 09:22 AM
I would say double check your electrical connections. I've been guilty myself of not snapping the plug in all the way on a fuel injector before. Also, look at the end of the wire connector and make sure everything is ok and no physical damage like bent prongs or the wires got pulled out of the plug when the COP popped loose.

Old 10-11-2006 | 10:52 AM
You didn't chip a valve did you? If all else fails time for a leak down or compression test.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug blows might be time for a Toyota, Chevy or GMC