Lightning

Contemplated trading in the L tonight untill.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006 | 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by SMOKINTRUCK#1
P.S. Sal what do you think of the handling between the ZO6 and Shelby ? I know it's 20k more but gotta say it's more stylish.
Mike, you can't compare the two. The two cars are not in the same market or level of performance. The new Z06 rivals the Ford GT in performance. The Shelby was never intended to be competition for the Z06. It was intended to be what the original car was... a boulevard brusier. And that's what it is.

The magazines are testing the Shelby vs the Z06, because that's all either company has to offer that's currently for sale, from an above average performance standpoint. Nothing is going to compare to a Z06, plain and simple.

Old 09-03-2006 | 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=Lightningquick]also keep in mind what ford has done for its enthusiast. NOTHING!!!!

That's why they have announced 14 plant closings on top of everything previously. Everybody is really hungry at Ford. The only cars selling is the Mustang and that Japanese engineered/Mexican built Fusion.

In the meantime Toyota's new truck plant is gearing up production and 2 more plants were just announced on top of the 10 they already have in NA.

Old 09-04-2006 | 02:51 AM
Just went to the local Ford dealer and saw a convertable Shelby, ugly azz car. They wanted a $100 extra on all there vehicles for nitrogen in the tires!

Scew'em, bought a Honda Pilot got the wife.

Old 09-04-2006 | 12:44 PM
My wife and I just went through this, she wanted to get rid of her Jeep Liberty and I thought that a Mustang ragtop might be a cool choice as I have the Commander for winter months and a Company ride so two fun summer toys, which is just fine by me, Ford did not want give me anything off MSRP, this was not on a Shelby just a GT ragtop, extra this and extra that, what a screw job, this is why dealerships gain such the "shark" reputation, they lost a sale over what a grand and trying to play the shell game with costs, we bought an 06' VW GTI loaded, what a great ride-it does everything well-fun to drive and great on gas and most important zero dealer BS. T

Old 09-04-2006 | 03:15 PM
|
the funny part is

sales are obviously not good. We walked around the lot for over an hour and there wasn't anyone there asking if we need help????

You would figure selling a vehicle and only making 500-1000 bucks profit would be better than not selling it and paying juice for it sitting on the lot.

Good luck to them.

Old 09-05-2006 | 12:06 AM
was at dealership about two months ago.they still had 3 04 saleens old body style sitting in the showroom.talked to buddy who is salesmen there ,he said offer them 25,000 and they would take it.msrp was in the 40s .he said they just cant sell em and lose alot of money on having them sit there.when i test drove the lightning in 04 they had a red,blue and white one.i ordered a black one.when truck arrived at dealer none of those trucks were there anymore.as for the shelby what rip off.havent been to dealership lately but they probably got one that will sit and rot for awhile.

Old 09-06-2006 | 10:56 AM
I've already got mine

See : http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...showtopic=2291
I put my deposit down with my dealershipin May of 2005, 15 months before actually taking delivery. When all was said and done, I still had to pay $5K over because before they were able to actually place the order, another local dealership offered them that much over on every car they would sell. I was told this when it became time to place my order and wasn't happy about it, but can live with it. The car runs totally awesome stock, with no handling issues in spite of the weight balance. And as for modding potential, I think it is gonna be one of Fords best offerings ever. GT500 specific performance parts are just starting to hit the aftermarket. I plan to wait for one of these to be released before doing much else. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1223
Currently, the dealer ADM's are quite high but will eventually come down. I still think they will be getting $5-10K over for quite some time as many of the dealers have already sold their entire 2007 allocation and some their 2008 allocation as well. Many dealers have 25 - 50 people on lists who want one.
Those willing to pay the most will get theirs first. Locally, I know of 2 which have sold for $80K (from the dealership that tried to buy mine out from under me). I also know of several people who are willing to pay $10K over, but can't find a dealership willing to part with one for that.
The market for these cars is much different than for the Lightnings. Most people I meet still don't know what a Lightning is, but bring up the Shelby name and they have already heard of the new GT500 and already associate it with collectable performance. Most of the people paying the large $ are not even Ford fanatics. Some are only buying them as they assume they will escalate in value ala previous Shelby's. I don't plan on it ever to be a collectable, but bought it instead for the performance potential. I will mod it and have fun driving it, just like my Lightning.

P.S. Those waiting for the Camaro or Challenger should have already cut a deal with a dealership for if and when the car comes out, as dealer ADM's will also be quite high on those vehicles. If you haven't yet, you probably already missed the boat.

LB

Old 09-06-2006 | 11:25 AM
My local dealer has 2 in stock, and 5 more coming. He has sold ALL of them for $67,000 each. Also has one GT40, that is marked up $70,000 over msrp, and it too is sold....unbelieveable greed....

Old 09-06-2006 | 11:29 AM
LB,
How mod-friendly do you think the new Cobra will be? Does it have MAF or speed/density?

Old 09-06-2006 | 12:07 PM
You know, I read all these "screw the dealer" posts about high markups and such, and I have to laugh to myself.

Why be mad at the dealer? They own the car and have it for sale. If one of us was selling our truck for 30k, and had 10 people who wanted it and some of them wanted it enough to pay more than we were asking, would anyone here say "no thanks, just give me the 30k". HELL no. It's not the dealer's fault. It's simple supply and demand. If you have something valuable and there isn't enough to go around, you raise the price and people who want it bad enough will stillpay it. Ever buy an air conditioner during a 100 degree heat wave? How about ice melt during a blizzard? When things are scarce and demand goes up, so does the price.

If you all want to blame someone, blame the customers who pay those high prices. Without them, the dealers wouldn't get away with selling so high.

Old 09-06-2006 | 04:13 PM
unclemole

Originally Posted by unclemole
LB,
How mod-friendly do you think the new Cobra will be? Does it have MAF or speed/density?
I think that the GT500 will be able to be modified in a similar fashion as done on a combination of the Lightnings, 03-04 Cobra's and 05 and up Mustang GT's. It will take a little bit of time to see parts forth coming, but there is really nothing new here. The unknown question is the strength of the powdered metal cracked forged connecting rods (sound familiar?). Evolution Performance in NJ already has theirs in the very low low 11's with a ported Eaton gears, tires, exhaust and a tune.... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=316824

The GT500 has a MAF built into the intake box outlet tube, see pix below.
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...e=post&id=2100

LB

Old 09-06-2006 | 05:02 PM
[

The GT500 has a MAF built into the intake box outlet tube, see pix below.
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...e=post&id=2100

LB[/QUOTE]
i think that is similar to my 05 GT.

Old 09-06-2006 | 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
You know, I read all these "screw the dealer" posts about high markups and such, and I have to laugh to myself.

Why be mad at the dealer? They own the car and have it for sale. If one of us was selling our truck for 30k, and had 10 people who wanted it and some of them wanted it enough to pay more than we were asking, would anyone here say "no thanks, just give me the 30k". HELL no. It's not the dealer's fault. It's simple supply and demand. If you have something valuable and there isn't enough to go around, you raise the price and people who want it bad enough will stillpay it. Ever buy an air conditioner during a 100 degree heat wave? How about ice melt during a blizzard? When things are scarce and demand goes up, so does the price.

If you all want to blame someone, blame the customers who pay those high prices. Without them, the dealers wouldn't get away with selling so high.

True. I have no problem with the market setting the price; but, I know what the GT-500 is worth to me, and won't spend more. I don't have to be the first guy on the block with one.

Old 09-07-2006 | 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lightning Bob
See : [url] I still think they will be getting $5-10K over for quite some time as many of the dealers have already sold their entire 2007 allocation and some their 2008 allocation as well.
P.S. Those waiting for the Camaro or Challenger should have already cut a deal with a dealership for if and when the car comes out, as dealer ADM's will also be quite high on those vehicles. If you haven't yet, you probably already missed the boat.

LB
Are you kidding? What are you, a hypster or joker or both? You guys watch too much CNN- All hype and no substance. I live 20 minutes from both the Brampton, Ontario DC plants (where all 300's, Chargers, Magnums and Challengers are or will be built) and GM's Oshawa plant where it was only announced last week that the Camaro will be built. Both plants have flexible manufacturing, which means that they can build whatever sells and are therefore not restricted to one model. Like any American manufacturer, they will build as much as the market can absorb and they will build a zillion of them. Watch Ford announce an increase in production of the GT-500 in early 2007. Anybody who thinks that these cars will increase in value is sorely mistaken. The 60's Shelbys didn't have a build volume of 10,000+units. Runs were mostly limited to 250 to 500 cars.

Its amazing how people get sucked in every time. The dealers get an initial allocation (usually just a few cars) and then put a few people on back order and they tell people that they have sold 3 years of production to make them more desirable and then jack up the price. When the new Viper came out, buyers were lined up and a year later, dealers didn't want to touch them.

Anyone that pays over invoice is just buying "air" and these cars will depreciate just like any other Fords. Around here the GT-500s are selling at invoice (illegal to sell above). Remember all the hype two years ago around the Ford GT. I know of several dealers that are now stuck with brand new late production cars and are dying to get rid of them. That was last years flavor... In 1992, I almost bought the first year Viper. Only 200 were sold and the hypsters went nuts. One guy even paid 300K for one. Well, 15 years later, you can find them for less than 50K if you can find a buyer. Why? Chrysler produced thousands in the following years.

TB

Last edited by TrackBeast; 09-07-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2006 | 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Are you kidding? What are you, a hypster or joker or both? You guys watch too much CNN- All hype and no substance. I live 20 minutes from both the Brampton, Ontario DC plants (where all 300's, Chargers, Magnums and Challengers are or will be built) and GM's Oshawa plant where it was only announced last week that the Camaro will be built. Both plants have flexible manufacturing, which means that they can build whatever sells and are therefore not restricted to one model. Like any American manufacturer, they will build as much as the market can absorb and they will build a zillion of them. Watch Ford announce an increase in production of the GT-500 in early 2007. Anybody who thinks that these cars will increase in value is sorely mistaken. The 60's Shelbys didn't have a build volume of 10,000+units. Runs were mostly limited to 250 to 500 cars.

Its amazing how people get sucked in every time. The dealers get an initial allocation (usually just a few cars) and then put a few people on back order and they tell people that they have sold 3 years of production to make them more desirable and then jack up the price. When the new Viper came out, buyers were lined up and a year later, dealers didn't want to touch them.

Anyone that pays over invoice is just buying "air" and these cars will depreciate just like any other Fords. Around here the GT-500s are selling at invoice (illegal to sell above). Remember all the hype two years ago around the Ford GT. I know of several dealers that are now stuck with brand new late production cars and are dying to get rid of them. That was last years flavor... In 1992, I almost bought the first year Viper. Only 200 were sold and the hypsters went nuts. One guy even paid 300K for one. Well, 15 years later, you can find them for less than 50K if you can find a buyer. Why? Chrysler produced thousands in the following years.

TB
TB - You forget that Ford, GM, and DC still have C.A.F.E. requirements to meet. Ford's production of GT-500's is also limited by the supply of critical components i.e. transmissions.
In the United States, it is legal to charge whatever the demand will bear unless there is a dealer agreement such as for Saturns.
I personally don't think the GT500's will go up in value and as stated did not buy mine for an investment. I buy fast fords to drive them. Some people are buying the GT500 as an investment. I personally could turn mine for at least a $10K profit right now if I wanted to part with it, so temporarily it would have been a great investment.
Demand for them will remain high until production increases which depends on the aforementioned. Because Ford opened up this car to all of their dealerships, allocation is low at all of them and dealers are cashing in.
The Challengers and Camaro's will have the same issues and demand, so the situation with ADM's will paralllel the GT500's.
You can believe whatever you want, but that is what will happen.

I also believe you meant to say people are paying MSRP not invoice in Canada. No way a dealership could make any money selling everything at invoice.

LB

Quick Reply: Contemplated trading in the L tonight untill.........