Lightning

Contemplated trading in the L tonight untill.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:06 PM
|
Contemplated trading in the L tonight untill.........

Went to a local ford dealer with my future brother-in-law. he was looking for a new f150. Walked around the lot for a while , then went in. All in the sudden !!!

Blue Shelby sitting inside!!! So i went there to help him bargain and of course my attention went elsewhere.

Car is really nice. Looked it all over, up, down, under..... For the first time since I had it, i was ready to sell the Lightning.

Sticker price was 45k. So the salesman walks buy and says "Nice huh", like I'm some retard who had no idea what it was. So I told him how I had a Lightning and was considering making the move. He says "don't forget the 20 thousand dealer add on". I kinda laughed and said yeah right.

So I go over to the sales manager. Turns out the saleman wasn't lying.

They wanted 65k dollars for the car!!!!! Are these people nuts?????

Granted, it's got the blown 5.4, and brembos all around but come on now.

So I stated my disgust and told him good luck. So he says all snotty "what, you dont' think we'll get that kind of money? I had another dealer call me today and offer me 15k over sticker because he had a customer that would pay 70k"

I just said to him "look, i'm sure you will find 1 or 2 people to pay what your asking. It kills me to say this because i'm a die hard ford guy, but if i was gonna dump 60 or 70 grand on a car........which I won't never do.....it wouldn't be on this, it would be on a z06 or a viper."

So he says....***get this***......."then you aren't a die hard ford guy are you?"

I said "no, i am, i'm just not either of the following......a millioniare, or a moron"

Second time around looking at the car, I was disgusted to see that the strips are actually decals and not painted on. It's clear as day when you look at the valance and the 2 pieces from the upper bumper, and lower valance overlap. It sticks out like a sore thumb!!!!

Oh, by the way.........a $1300 dollar gas guzzler tax too!!!!

Looks like the L is here to stay for another year.

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:23 PM
|
Holy crap

Jezzz

I guess this dealer was giving it away for 65k. Just did some researcha nd most dealers are getting 30-40k above msrp.

Must be nice to be rich.

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:34 PM
I guess if I had that kind of disposable income, where money grows on my tree in the backyard, I would pay it.........that certainly wouldn't be all I would own.

20K over invoice.....wow....some sucker will buy it. Not that it isn't an awesome car, but you'll never see that money again if you try to sell it.

and BTW - I hate the stealership.......I mean dealership.

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:38 PM
A friend of mine has is ordered ,he is #3 at a large svt/dealer at 5k over sticker.

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:50 PM
|
not even an svt dealer......

this wasn't even an svt dealer. I heard these will be sold at all dealers.

You know, if I REALLY WANTED IT, and had the extra cash, for such a limited prodcution vehicle, 5k over sticker is reasonable.

How long do they plan on making these?

I can see it now. Just like the lightnings. Oh, only 3 years build.............6 years and 30k of them later.

Old 09-02-2006 | 12:36 AM
Dealers out here are getting 40k over sticker. That's literally double the sticker price. And the best part is, they are making like 9000 of these cars. They aren't as "rare" as some may think. Right NOW they are getting the big dollars because everone wants to be the first on the block with them.

Old 09-02-2006 | 03:20 AM
Paramus Ford here in NJ has a black one with grey stripes and red interior.. they want 76,000 for it !!! and i talked to my buddy over there who is one of the salesmen, i asked him if it was all it was hyped up to be? he told me not until you hit the 500 mile break in point.. in other words you cant rip on it spin the tires chirp gears nothing like that.. the damn computer wont allow you until the ODO hits 500...when i ran the NMRA there was one at ATCO running 11.6 i forget the MPH..

Old 09-02-2006 | 08:08 AM
Remember when the new T-birds first came out... We went and looked at one and it was 20K over sticker. I told them to stick it...Went back to that same dealer a year later and they had the T-birds discounted 10K at the end of the model year... What idiots... Has Ford not been watching it's sales slide over the years? Their dealership network for the most part sucks and THEY let it go on...Which would you rather buy a Toyota that is built in the states or a Ford built in Mexico?....

Old 09-02-2006 | 09:05 AM
not sure what the hype is about them,
500hp is nice, but it needs it to keep up with 03/04 Cobra's
3,920 lbs for the coupe (4,040 for vert) <<-- HEAVIEST MUSTANG EVER?
57% front / 43% rear weight ratio
Starting around $45k
Lower pulley swap is a joke
Upper pulley swap, the stock one is already close to rubbing the snout.

I'd suggest picking up a used 03/04.

Old 09-02-2006 | 09:49 AM
give them about 6 month sitting on the showroom then the price will start to go down.Not as fast as the GT's since many dealers floorplaned that car but they will still get cheaper.I know I can buy a new ZO6 for msrp as well as a GT but I would take the ZO6 over the GT in a heart beat[pun intended]..Like was said I am a ford die hard[I BLEED FORD BLUE} BUT ALSO I am not a moron.ford needs to rain in the dealer network and make them understand what they are doing. Stan

Old 09-02-2006 | 10:10 AM
After reading the test drive in Car and Driver, I changed my mind about the GT500. SLOW as hell for a 500 hp car. Maybe it hadn't reached the 500 mile brake in mark yet ; but, $45,000.00 for a Mustang is just crazy. $20K over that is for morons... Even if they are rich.

Old 09-02-2006 | 10:15 AM
I hear ya! I am about as die hard Ford as any one else, but like you Meca, I am not a milionare or a moron. Ford has thier heads up there azzes. And even more than die hard Ford, I am die hard American made, yet I just gave 26K to Dr.Z (DaimlerChrysler) for my new Jeep. IN my eye, on of the last simple quality made basica afordable and fun vehicles. And I know that engine will go 200k miles without puking rods. Ford dealers are also the WORST people in the world. Idiots, Aholes, sleazebags, losers, liers you name it. FWIW I Fawking LOVE my new Rubicon!!!!! Basic where it needs to be, strong where it needs to be (drive line) and nice where it needs to be (auto dim mirror, free sat radio, 6disc in dash...) Ford should try that!!!

Old 09-02-2006 | 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Odin's Wrath
After reading the test drive in Car and Driver, I changed my mind about the GT500. SLOW as hell for a 500 hp car. Maybe it hadn't reached the 500 mile brake in mark yet ; but, $45,000.00 for a Mustang is just crazy. $20K over that is for morons... Even if they are rich.
The magazine tests are a joke. I thought the same thing until I started experiancing the cars in person. I can tell you three things so far... 1- they look MUCH better in person than in pics. 2- don't let the wieght scare you, they perform much better than you'd expect. And 3- these cars are no slouch. They are putting down 500rwhp with JUST an air kit and tune.

The potential for power on these cars is unreal. Far surpasses what we can wring out of Lightnings and 03 Cobras from the stock motor.

Old 09-02-2006 | 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
The magazine tests are a joke. I thought the same thing until I started experiancing the cars in person. I can tell you three things so far... 1- they look MUCH better in person than in pics. 2- don't let the wieght scare you, they perform much better than you'd expect. And 3- these cars are no slouch. They are putting down 500rwhp with JUST an air kit and tune.

The potential for power on these cars is unreal. Far surpasses what we can wring out of Lightnings and 03 Cobras from the stock motor.

That's good to hear; but, once they crossed the $40K mark with this car, I started weighing other options. I have to wait a couple of years to see the Challenger and Camaro anyway. I'll keep my eyes on the price of the GT500 while I'm waiting. I read recently that the MSRP on the base vehicle was less than $42K. I would be willing to go with that and not feel like I took a reaming on the deal. In a few years, a used one might be a better option anyway. Besides, I'm still dropping money into the L. BTS tranny going in soon. I burned second gear up in the stock unit. LOL

Old 09-02-2006 | 02:31 PM
Yeah, I read about the $1,300 gas guzzler fee on MM&FF and couldnt believe it!!! I have no intentions of buying one, but for the sake of others those prices have to come DOWN.

Quick Reply: Contemplated trading in the L tonight untill.........