Lightning

WOT power power surge

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006 | 11:09 AM
|
WOT power power surge

I took my '03 out to the lake the other day, and on the way back, decided to let it rip. I noticed that after the shift to 2nd gear, it feels as if there is a very slight surging. It is almost as if the rear tires are spinning, but they're not...at least not that I can tell. I don't think the trans is slipping. It's bone stock right down to the air filter and I keep the truck serviced religiously. Belt slippage maybe? I am not seeing any flucuations in boost pressure, at least I can't see it on the factory gauge anyway. BTW, it still has the factory SC belt...at 54,000 miles. How often to they need to be changed? I can hear the belt slip when it shifts from 1st to 2nd...just a real quick chirp and never hear it again after that. Any ideas?

Old 09-02-2006 | 04:11 PM
Did your maintenance include a new fuel filter?

Dan

Old 09-05-2006 | 10:35 PM
|
Originally Posted by LIGHTNINROD
Did your maintenance include a new fuel filter?

Dan

Dead on with an "0". New fuel filter every 3rd oil change....I learned the hard way with an old Mustang SVO...boosted engines NEED the filter changed once in a while.

Gawd, I bet I chased a problem with that SVO for a week. Changed filter, problem GONE. Sure am glad I got rid of that junker.

Old 09-06-2006 | 07:30 AM
My truck did that. You could hear the blower whine changing pitch with the surge and it would only do it during hard acceleration. It felt like the tranny was slipping to me. I changed to a Gates blower belt and it stopped. My belt just had 15,000 miles on it when I had to change it.

Old 09-06-2006 | 12:02 PM
change the blower belt, I change my every 15,000 or at least once a year.

Old 09-06-2006 | 08:45 PM
|
Yes, that was my thought too. Just wanted to hear it from someone who's had a little experience.

Time to spend a Sunday afternoon changing a belt! Anyone have a part number that I can give to the idiots behind the counter? I'm sure they'll probably tell me that a Lightning doesn't have a Supercharger...been there, done that already.

Last edited by cookie_monster; 09-06-2006 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: WOT power power surge