Lightning

Truck won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 06:10 PM
|
Angry Truck won't stay running

Got in my truck today ... going home from work and it died at the light. Started it back up (fires right up) and then as soon as I hit the gas...it sputters and dies.

I coasted in the gas station on my immediate right. Funny thing is...it starts up fine. But as soon as it does...the idle is ALL over the place. And if you hit the gas...it immediately dies. Wierd. As I had just drove it an hour before with NO issues.

I thought it was a vacum leak or something...but all hoses are connected. Checked all the fuses under the hood and all are fine. Again....wierd. Anyone have any ideas???

Old 09-08-2006 | 06:34 PM
coil pack?
or the bank is pissed at you for paying her off!!!

do you have a chip, maybe it is loose or something

Old 09-08-2006 | 07:03 PM
coil pack? It has been raining alot lately Ive lost a few seemed only to be during rainy weather too. Just a guess good luck

Old 09-08-2006 | 07:06 PM
have you tried pulling any codes?

Old 09-08-2006 | 07:12 PM
Sounds like the Y in the gas tank Connecting the to pumps together is ethier broken your one of the hoses came off.

Old 09-08-2006 | 07:28 PM
Betcha it's your IAC! The symptoms sound just like a dirty, carboned-up IAC valve. Ten minute(at most) job to remove and soak it with brake cleaner, shake it, and rebolt it up using the old gasket.

Dan

Old 09-08-2006 | 09:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by halflife
coil pack?
or the bank is pissed at you for paying her off!!!

do you have a chip, maybe it is loose or something
hahaha It would figure.

Old 09-08-2006 | 09:17 PM
|
Thanks guys for the suggestions. All of I have thought of (IAC, Coil Pack) Except the gas line. I will check that tomorrow at the dealer.

But the IAC...only affects the idle. When you hit the gas...is when i have the problem.

Just a side note...if I "jam" on the throttle...the boost guage should go way up as it always does. BUT...it only goes right to the point where it seperates vacum and boost then goes right back down. That is why I thought it was a vacum leak.

Old 09-08-2006 | 09:18 PM
|
I miss her already.

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:06 PM
Hey if you figure it out let me know my truck is doing similar stuff. some mornings I start her up and she fires up, as soon as she fire she dies. no code other than P1000. The thing I find odd is it only happens periodically. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:46 PM
Yo Chad -

Art and I were discussing your problem and we think that the Jack Black we have been drinking leads us to believe it is the TPS on your truck...

So, talk to us about it, OK ???

Old 09-09-2006 | 06:40 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2010
Truck of the Month
Seen this before !
In the front (behind driver side headlight) there's this white thing (dunno what its called) that controlles the fuel. Check if its still intact, you can see at ones if its broken. If it is, eithter replace it or connect the cables with each other that goes into it.
You can also make a test and take out the front relay and connect a cable between 2 shoes. The realy box is located beside the main fuse box in the engine room. Take out the relay on the left and connect #2 and 4 with a cable. Start her up and see !

Relay box:

---2----------6---
1-----3----5-----7
---4----------8---

Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Swede; 09-09-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2006 | 09:59 AM
|
Originally Posted by B-Man
Yo Chad -

Art and I were discussing your problem and we think that the Jack Black we have been drinking leads us to believe it is the TPS on your truck...

So, talk to us about it, OK ???
TPS??? It was set when I put on the SBTB and has been spot on since. Not sure it is that. But will check again. I am starting with the IAC....then the fuel resistor....then the fuel lines. Additionally, I am going to check the coil packs.

We had all that rain and flooding here recently and I was driving in it. A few times...the water came up over my bottom grill...so that might have something to do with it

Old 09-09-2006 | 10:01 AM
|
Originally Posted by The Swede
Seen this before !
In the front (behind driver side headlight) there's this white thing (dunno what its called) that controlles the fuel. Check if its still intact, you can see at ones if its broken. If it is, eithter replace it or connect the cables with each other that goes into it.
You can also make a test and take out the front relay and connect a cable between 2 shoes. The realy box is located beside the main fuse box in the engine room. Take out the relay on the left and connect #2 and 4 with a cable. Start her up and see !

Relay box:

---2----------6---
1-----3----5-----7
---4----------8---

Hope this helps.
Hmmmm never heard of that before. But will check.

Old 09-09-2006 | 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by afchad
Hmmmm never heard of that before. But will check.
I think he is talking about the resistor it gets pretty hot maybe a rapid cool down ie water puddle could have shocked it ad made it crack or break, you can by-pass it as mentioned. Some Ls not all with the 255 pumps,pcm has trouble controling the hi-low relay function and the resistor has to be bypassed to stabalize fuel pressure. Mine was one of them. Under the front bumper is a white horse shoe shaped porcelain unit with a pigtail/plug check it and see if its not broken.

Quick Reply: Truck won't stay running