Lightning

Oval T.body road test

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000 | 12:29 AM
|
Post Oval T.body road test

Well, I just got back from my road test with the new t-body.

Very first impression; it does not take very much throttle to get this thing to run 40 - 50 mph down the road. Barely resting a foot on the peddle gets it going! It's about 90 with alot of humid air, so the truck is running a little slow. As most of you know, my L has a lot of mods (12.89 @ 107.62mph) It's hard to say by seat of the pants how much gain. I would do this mod as a last or 2nd to last for performance. Until I get it to the track, I give it about a 6 on the seat-o-pants meter.

One thing you can notice, is the boost gauge seems to snap right up to peg a little faster. Like I said, it needs to go to the track to really see what she's got.

Kevin

Old 07-29-2000 | 12:56 AM
Kevin

I'll be looking forward to your post

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip (Superchip re-burn is on the way)
super whites, Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, clear corners
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 07-29-2000 | 01:20 AM
Talking

Kevin
It showed an improvement on the dyno of about 6 HP and 6 ft. lbs. of torque. I have not had a chance to test it at the drags yet. Since you did mention throttle response did you notice that as soon as you got into the boost how you could hear the blower whine.
Lightning Bob
I know that you made this change too. What did you hear. Can you address the performance issues?

Do either of you find this sound to be objectionable?

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 07-29-2000 | 08:36 PM
BABolt

I put the Oval TB on, a Borla cat-back, and a Performance Automatic trans street/strip shift kit in it since the last time I was at the track. It makes more noise, the blower whine/throttlebody noise way overshadows the Borla exhaust, but I still can't get ET's below 13.5. I went to Byron Dragway today and ran a half dozen or so 13.5-13.6's
With the mods I've got I should be running low 13's.
However, it was hot and extremely humid at Byron today. The noticible throttle response didn't seem to translate to significant ET reductions so I'm still on the fence if I would do the TB again.

Lightning Bob

Old 07-29-2000 | 09:43 PM
|
I'm with LBob, for now. I have to run it on the track to see the change.

BaBolt: As for the blower sound, I can not hear a difference. Let me say, that I do have the full Bassani kit with a 4 inch inlet pipe and 12 inch long powerstack filter. What I can hear is a vac.{suction sound} right at cracking of the throttle.

First impression, not that happy. But i'm sure it helped. For other buyers don't think it's going to be like adding a chip. this is why I say make it one of the last bolt on's.

Now that I've said this, I'll probably run 12.50's?????? doesn't always work that way

Kevin

Quick Reply: Oval T.body road test