Lightning

Unexplained Gawking Observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2000, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Unexplained Gawking Observations

I just can't figure this one out. Maybe some of you have some insight.

I've noticed that I get the most looks while rolling down the highway, by far, from minivan drivers. Many a (male) 'van pilot woll look over at the big silver fender as it slides past his window, glance, do the cartoon-double-take, and get a real excited look, point it out to the occupant of the passenger's seat, and often give some sort of wave.

On the other hand, I can't even get a sideways half-hearted glance from the 'Vette guys or anyone else with fierce hardware.

What gives?

------------------
Silver Y2K Lightning
Bone Stock w/ Duraliner, Ford Hitch Cover

Silver (matching) Y2K ML320 Benz
Burl (ML430) Shift ****

Beater 1992 Grand Prix
Commuter Mule

Old 07-21-2000, 02:25 PM
Pen*s, I mean Power-Envy....hehehehe

Next time, yell something at them.....

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, Sir Michael's roll pan, smooth corners and steps w/billet inserts, clear corner lenses, Cervinis Ram Air hood, Momo billet pedals, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost gauge, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000 subs. 5-channel 500w. Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w. DX 7's, Color-matched Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, BedRug, AIM 2" Drop, Trenz billet grills, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/...Lightning9.jpg

1999.5 Expedition XLT
2001 PT Cruiser Limited on the way!!!

Old 07-21-2000, 02:33 PM
They are keeping their heads down, pretending that they don't see you, hoping that you will go away.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels,
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, 35% tint
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 07-21-2000, 02:35 PM
Wink

there was a tv show called Then Came Bronson.
Bronson was a guy who "dropped out" of society and jumped on a brand new Harley and "just rode". the opening scene,each week, was Bronson sitting at a red light, your mini van guy says: Hey, where ya heading?
Bronson: wherever i end up, i guess (real cool!)
Minivan guy: Man, i wish i was you! (drooling)
So, i just refer to the Minivan guys, as,
Bronson Droolers

Old 07-21-2000, 02:39 PM
Chuck:

Was that in B&W? Don't think I've ever seen that one....

Rich

Old 07-21-2000, 02:44 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

I remember that show!

(Bronson also had hemorrhoids.)

Old 07-21-2000, 02:47 PM
Wink

Bronson was Michael Parks, in color around 1970.

Old 07-21-2000, 03:13 PM
lately with the weather being so hot, 100drgs with 90% humidity, feels like 120, in New Orleans, i have resorted to wearing mirrored sunglasses, so i don't have to acknowledge the Bronson Drooler flapping his arms, for me to roll down the window. usually my side fender emblem is lined up with his face, and it usually goes:
BD: is that a Lightning?
BBQ: yep
BD: i saw that thing on the tv
BBQ: yep
light turns green, air back to max, scramble for the mirrored cop specs.

Old 07-21-2000, 03:41 PM
I'm sitting in the drive-thru line up at lunch today. Four people come out the restaurant and a male in his late teens-early twenties (I can't tell anymore - aarrrgh) is staring at the truck. Keeps moving and stopping trying to look at all the details. Don't know whether he was non-believing or soaking it all in. Anyway, he's doing this stutter step across the lot when just as he turns to see where he's going, WHAM, his chin connects with the edge of the car door left open for him.

I, of course, had my head turned straight ahead with my eyes following him, cloaked in secrecy behind their shades. Well, I think I'm going to have to do the ScotchGuard deal to my seats if this keeps up. Took incredible bladder control not to pi$$ myself after that.

Hey, it's one of the reasons why we bought this truck, isn't it? ISN'T IT??

------------------
2000 Red Lightning Born 3-8-00 / Delivered 3-22-00
22% Window Tint, Clear Corners, MPulse LoPro Tonneau, AIM 2" Drop Shackles, Bed Rug, PSP Filter Kit, Other Goodies

2000 Red Trans Am Ram Air WS6, 6 Speed - Delivered 2-15-00 - Awesome Looking Car

My Zing.com Album Click Here

Old 07-21-2000, 03:57 PM
LOL... The visual impact that these trucks have on people is really strange.

I'm on the way to the office a couple of months ago. Sitting in trafic, I can feel these two couples in a nice Mercedes sedan staring at the truck. The driver was the only one not looking. They were almost hanging out of the car to get a better look. The driver, Stone Face and straight ahead.

We're both 4-5 cars back from the light with trafic in front, I slowly pull away. I hear a bang and look back. The Mercedes driver slammed right into the back of the car in front of him.

Yeah, guess I did have your attention after all, Stone Face....hehehehe

Damn, I love this truck.

Old 07-21-2000, 04:35 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Sir Silver,

I concur with your observation and would like to offer an example to illustrate such.

Today whilest venturing to my noontime eating establishment, I waved in a C5 Convertable to allow him into traffic in front of me(DONNING NOMEX). I get not even a glance from "driver" and a half-hearted wave from passenger. OK, fine..... About a 1/4 mile up the road he pulls into an unusually clear downhill decreasing radius on-ramp and attempts to hot foot it away from me. WRONG!!! As I take (and thoroughly enjoy) this on-ramp daily, he has NO chance. This moron can't even spell apex.
About the time he looked up all he saw was my red encased big blue oval filling his rear view mirror. This bozo actually turned his head to look at me and say "What the ..." nearly side swiped a semi. To make matters worse, his half-hearted-waving passenger watched me all along and was laughing his **** off at "driver" until he sees the semi. That would have been ugly.

I thought I'd be nice but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Signed,

Desparately Seeking Limo Tint

------------------
Brake Late, Dive Deep

Speedin Bob
'99 Red Lightning #2504 Built 6/17/99
NLOC # 438
13.98 @ 98 mph (Rookie Session)
Latest Mods:
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Mobil One and FilterMag
Airaid w/ Autophysics filter retrofit
Clear Corners & Tails
Bug Shield
Duraliner

Old 07-21-2000, 05:47 PM
I had a guy climb out the drive up window at an Arby's to get a better look. The other place I seem to attract a crowd is at the 7-11. Everytime I come out from getting Lottery tickets there is somebody, usually more than one, standing there looking at the truck. I don't mind them looking but I'm getting tired of the greasy forehead and nose prints on the glass.

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
Friends don't let Friends drive Chevys
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00[*] V1 with Remote[*] Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2[*] Airaid Filter Kit - S&B Big Mouth Filter[*] Magnaflow Custom Catback[*] AIM 2" Drop Shackles[*] Hard Tonneau[*] Bedrug[*] Clear Front Corners[*] Ultra Whites – top and bottom[*] Taillight Covers[*] Lightning Hitch Cover[*] Custom FL Tag[*] Muth Signal Mirrors [*] Eclipse 54410 Receiver, 5962 In-Dash CD Changer[*] MB Quarts - PKC116 Front, DKC116 Rear[*] Alpine MRV-F353 5 Channel [*] Limo Window Tint
Upcoming mods[*] Keypad Entry Handle

Old 07-21-2000, 08:14 PM
People show 100 times more intrest in my L than they ever did for my Cobra. I've had people flag me down in parking lots to ask questions, and people stand outside stores waiting for me to come out so they can look at it. It can get kinda scary sometimes, but I enjoy the attention. I just wish it didn't catch the cops attention so much.

I've had the worst reactions from Dakota R/T and Trash-am drivers. Most R/T drivers won't openly try to race, they just make traffic difficult. I've had two TA owners do burnouts in front of me, only to turn off at the next light. I rarely drag race, so I find their reactions amusing.

LocoSVT

Old 07-29-2000, 11:40 PM
I know what you guys mean. I've had a couple different people comment on the truck while in stopped in traffic, one guy on a motorcycle give me a nod and thumbs up, several people hanging themselves out of their cars precariously (while driving!) to get a better look, countless gawkers, and so many people just asking about and complimenting on the truck while standing around it. At Englishtown today, I can't count the number of people who gawked/ checked out/complimented me on the truck. All in only three weeks of owning the truck. I know what you mean about the nose prints, I'm gonna need a new bottle of Windex! I haven't drawn this much attention or compliments the whole 8 years with my 92 LX, even tho it's clean as hell and an exclusive color (silver). But ain't it great tho? The exclusivity of owning a Lightning? Gotta love it.

------------------
00 Lightning
92 Mustang LX 5.0

Quick Reply: Unexplained Gawking Observations