Lightning

FAQ FOR OUR BOARD

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2000, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FAQ FOR OUR BOARD

I think it's time for us all to chip in and help develop a FAQ section for our board. It is too much of a project for any one person but there may be a way to break it down where we can all do a part of it and therefore it will not be burdensome for any one person (Steve). So I offer as a way to start to define the parameters the following ideas: First whenever I go to some FAQ about 1/2 the time they never have the question I want answered offered. That's not true here. Everything anybody ever wanted to know has been probably asked and answered and is buryed somewhere on this board; however it is not practical to try to catagorize every thread that has ever been posted here so we need to start with some basic topics. Rather than just posing questions and then trying to answer them, I believe that having a topic and then links to threads already posted may be the answer (or maybe not) but if so we could start with topics and then add links for example
CHIPS
BLOWER
INTERCOOOLERS
ENGINES
FLUIDS
TRANSMISSIONS
BRAKES
WHEELS & TIRES
EXHAUST
SUSPENSION
BODY
CARE
AUDIO SYSTEMS
AMPS
SPEAKERS
AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES
Perhaps there are some I forgot that need to be added.
next we each take a topic and say a 30 day period and then do a search for that 30 day period (hopefully the search engine will list topics in date order). By having a master signup administered by someone we members would go to him/her and get a topic and date period, do a search, read the threads and save what we considered to be valuable threads and turnin our lists. This could be a building project that could become better and better over time like a really good reference library. Well, what do think. Seems to me to be the only way to stop the endless procession of repeat threads.
noelvm

Old 07-27-2000, 06:48 PM
Noelvm

I think you have a good idea. I would be willing to take a topic and find all the info. on this board about it.

I wonder, if we did all the locating and compiling, would/could Steve set up a FAQ button???

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip (Superchip re-burn is on the way)
super whites, Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, clear corners
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 07-27-2000, 06:51 PM
I think one thing that would be helpful, if Steve could do it, would be a search engine where you could put a begin date and an end date. I think that would be very helpful in breaking up the task.
noelvm

Old 07-27-2000, 07:15 PM
Steve does have a F.A.Q. section on the F150 Board.

Maybe he could set up one for the Lightning only???

I'll send him a note.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Old 07-27-2000, 07:21 PM
Noelvm

I just e-mailed Steve a note to take a look at your post and to see if there was a way to set it up, if we did the compiling.

Let's see what he has to say.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Old 07-27-2000, 07:26 PM
A few weeks ago I sort of volunteered to do something with an FAQ, but I got sidetracked with some other stuff.

I like the idea of a cooperative effort. It was pretty daunting when I started to do the research.

If others could take a topic in which they are interestd, and compile the info,I would be happy to compile and edit the information, prettify the HTML and put it up on a web server. Steve could then link to it.

------------------
Regards,
Gordon

'99 Red Lightning

Old 07-27-2000, 07:58 PM
Steve just e-mail me a note. I send one back to him asking him to let us know exactly how he wants us to do it.

As soon as he gets back me, we'll get this going.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Old 07-27-2000, 08:15 PM
Talking

I love it when a plan comes together!

Old 07-27-2000, 09:40 PM
Noelvm

A note from Steve
Take a quick look at a few of the (few) q&a's in the current faq area. I think a question with an answer and link to somewhere in the boards is a good idea.

You can email them to me as you come up with them or just wait until you have a few questions. I'll do my best to get them published quickly...
What we can do is to have one person take one topic then that person could compile all the URL address on the board that deals with that topic.

Then what can happen is: to have one person received all the e-mails from everyone that has completed the compiling for their topic, then have that person do a quick question and answer and e-mail it, along with the compiling to Steve.

Steve will then put them into a F.A.Q.

Someone could be responsible to dish out all the topics to individuals, keep an e-mail address and record on who is doing what topic, make sure the work is being done and when finished, have them e-mailed off to someone that will now compile all the e-mails from those searching the board for their topic.

I will volunteer to take all the completed topics, do a question and answer for each, along with all the related posts and get them off to Steve OR if you fellt like doing it, I would start getting everyone on a topic.

This is just a thought.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 07-27-2000).]

Old 07-27-2000, 10:00 PM
Noelvm

e-mail me your address so we can get this going

Jim Shaw
jshaw90@msn.com

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 07-27-2000).]

Old 07-27-2000, 11:29 PM
noelvm@pdq.net
I would hope that in our compling we can also do some culling. I'm not sure how we can do this without eleminating an entire thread, but even the threads on intercooler problems have many irrelevant entries that would be beneficial if they could be eliminated. Also the combination if possilbe of several threads would subfice to answer most questions without having to reference every thread on the topic. It seems to me that we need to be able to download a thread and edit it and add to it so that each question would not have say more than five threads attached otherwise we make this too complicated. It is not my desire to try to reference every thread but to answer the most frequently asked questions. I think maybe we need to 1 compose a list of most frequently asked questions, which everyone can contribute to, 2 cull the list,3 assign questions by specific search dates to individuals who will do searches for those dates and compile relevant material in a manner to be figured out, and then 4 sending that data to the appropriate address.
noelvm

[This message has been edited by noelvm (edited 07-27-2000).]

Old 07-29-2000, 11:15 PM
What a terrific idea to have a FAQ section. I print out some topics that I want to have ready reference to, and a FAQ would eliminate the printing. Sometimes I know a thread was posted but cannot find it. Also it is probably good to remember that the lifeblood of any org. is its new members and we should encourage their participation. A little tolerance goes a long way...Ken

Old 07-30-2000, 03:14 PM
Great idea!
Sugest categories for good dealer & Dealers to Advoid

Quick Reply: FAQ FOR OUR BOARD