Lightning

Bad Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Torque converter

My friend has a high pitched whine coming from the area in front of the tranny when he gives it some gas in park or while driving it. It's a constant whine that falls off slowly after the accelerator is released. While in park or neutral there is an intermittent squeak from the same area that goes away when the truck is placed in Drive or Reverse. Does this sound like a problem with the torque converter?

If so, what are the likely consequences of him continuing to drive it until it's repaired?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Could be the bearings in the converter or his front pump in tranny. Call Gregg Evans, hell know for sure. What converter is he using?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by promodlightning
Could be the bearings in the converter or his front pump in tranny. Call Gregg Evans, hell know for sure. What converter is he using?
It's a bone stock Lightning. I'm thinking the pump is good likelyhood, based on the sound. We'll find out for sure this weekend.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Try pulling the pvc out on the drivers and or passenger side. listen for the noise...Mine made noise when it went on a vacuum in the valve cover area...may be related to a collapsed fixed orifice outlet hose on the back of the intake plenum/valley. If that hose is collapsed and or split it will weeze and or squeal ...mostly noticable at idle or low speeds...does it squeal or make weird sounds as it bleeds down after switching the key off?
Just a problem I had for a while till I pullled my pvc. Noticed it right off..in fact I thought it was coming from the bell housing...sounded almost like a bearing going bad..high pitched whine...good luck

Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Im having the same problem I been hearing that noise for a month now im praying it's just the converter and not the tranny, but it also kinda slide in to 2nd gear I don't have a valve body.

Quick Reply: Bad Torque converter