Lightning

HELP ! JOHNNYLIGHTNING RAM-AIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hey Guys!
I saw the statement "I don't think that water can make it up there..." All I can say is it can and will if you are driving in the rain. I don't want to scare anyone but hydrolock can be a real issue. I have a ram air system on my Mustang and I make sure that it is never out in the rain.
Johnny Lightning, Nice system. I am sure there are some real world performance gains.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 07-17-2000, 06:23 PM
Banned
About the rain issue, since Johnny’s system still uses the sides of the open-air element, couldn't Johnny create a plug that covers the front of the ram air intake when it rains? I guess you would have to stop, get out and plug it up, or a blocking valve unit operated by electric switch?!?

Also to up the auntie, if you look at the lower grill you will see 4 columns of unused/blocked honeycomb on either side of the intake for the intercooler. What if we where to punch this out on both sides and create a much larger dual ram effect? The snorkel looks kind of small, but I’m sure Johnny has done his homework on this one. Johnny please feel free to respond to this.

I'm also assuming that Johnny is using the pro-flow filter, thus eliminating a 2nd prefilter to the main open-air element unit.

Old 07-17-2000, 11:47 PM
Cool

just to respond to the water concern i think the reason the mustangs might have a problem with water is because all the ones i saw the scoop was always right directly out front under the spoiler mine is up under the truck spoiler therefor getting it out of directly sucking up water ect. i really don't see this a problem but i will for sure the next time it rains get out their and see what happens and i'll let you know. yes i could make a vacum operated door on the scoop but that will be more expensive and i really don't believe its needed. i'm concerned also but i believe it should be fine. for those of us who are concerned their will be 2 set screws connecting the scoop to the tube just remove and slide scoop to the side or maybe if this becomes an issue i will make a cover which will easly clip over the front. then the filter will just get the air from the sides this will work fine since nobody will be racing in the rain ! (i hope! )i'll keep my eye on it but i think we should be fine......

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
e.t. 12.85 @ 105.1
best mph 105.4
60 ft. 1.85
superchiped
johnnylightning ram air
(man i luv this truck)

Old 07-18-2000, 01:06 AM
Talking

Hey JL
I could not agree with you more on the Mustang. Yes, that scoop is right out front and it sucks up everything. I just wish I could find some money in there.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 07-18-2000, 04:31 AM
JL,
System looks good. Alot better then when I saw it in its prototype stage at the Mod. shoot out.
Is the tube steel tubing? I also tried to feed my motor solely through the ram air hood and experienced a drop in boost due to the restriction of air flow. Maybe with your set up and my ram air hood it would be possible to draw all the air from out side the engine compartment.
I will E-mail you when I get home.

HIGH RISK

Old 07-18-2000, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up

highrisk the tubing is metal thats been tig welded your certainly right on about the hood! that would be the best of 2 worlds LOL! no doubt that would do wonders. maybe i should market a hood too LOL! i'll leave that to the other guy...take care..

JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
e.t. 12.85 @ 105.1
best mph 105.4
60 ft. 1.85
superchiped
johnnylightning ram air
(man i luv this truck)

Old 08-08-2000, 04:57 PM
answer to water.. BRING ROLL OF DUCT TAPE... WORKS GREAT>

Old 08-08-2000, 05:06 PM
Question

BaBolt

I was thinking about what you said about water being sucked up into JL's kit. If the tube was the sole source of air, I'd say you're right on. But, with the added air filter in the loop, maybe there isn't enough pressure to actually pull the water up all the way to the engine. Let's say that a kit is totally immersed in water, say in a flooded roadway, it would take a lot of suction to pull that amount of water up into the pipe. With the open area where the filter is, to me, that would act as a relief of that pressure; and, the water just couldn't get up too far, if at all. What do you think?

Old 08-08-2000, 07:10 PM
Yes the open element under the hood would act as a vacuum break. If however you plowed into some deep water the pressure would push it up , how high is the question....Johnny could youn run through a couple feet of H2O and test this hypotosis for us. Laugh.
Or just take the tube and swing it in your tub at the house..sorta like a golf club...put some water soluble something in it to indicate the High water mark...Laughin`..

Old 08-08-2000, 08:13 PM
If you could stick Spirro in wetsuit with an under water digital camera some pictures would be nice. LOL

Old 08-08-2000, 08:17 PM
Wink

i'll give you guys a water report as soon as mine gets here. flooded streets are common placed in New Orleans during the monsoon season. i'll stuff a rag down the tube b4 the PSP filter, go snorkling, and see if the rag gets wet.

Old 08-08-2000, 11:17 PM
Wink

you guys are killing me! but seriously that is correct the filter up top is taking in air too so its not a totaly enclosed set up so thats why i'm not worried about the water issue. spiro went thru a hurrican or something simalar with his kit .you all right spiro? LOL..

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
e.t. 12.85 @ 105.1
best mph 105.4
60 ft. 1.85
superchiped
johnnylightning ram air
(man i luv this truck)

Old 08-09-2000, 12:26 AM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Thumbs up

Your idea sounds great, but a few questions, I'm buying a 99.5 Black Lightning pretty soon now, and I like a true racer, I'm already planning my next mods on it. Anyways, I'm curious, the snorkel seems real close to the wheel, does that pose any problems when turning the wheel lock to lock?? Also, how much is your system?? And finally, since i officially don't own a Lightning yet, (and this question is for ANYONE), what(if any) are some of the problems you've run into with your truck??? Heard any horror stories?

Quick Reply: HELP ! JOHNNYLIGHTNING RAM-AIR