Lightning

Downs Ford Air Intake Is A Pain In The A$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000 | 11:41 PM
|
Angry Downs Ford Air Intake Is A Pain In The A$$

Is it me or is this thing made like crap!! This job should have taken no more then 15 minutes, but my new Downs Ford air intake need help from the get go. First, The Gasket was a pain and after a half-hour of trying to tack it on with some sealer I decided some silicone should do the job instead. Then I noticed that if you look inside the Tube with the mass air bolted on they don't line up very well. So I break out the old grinder and go to work. Then after all that I bolt it all up and go to plug in the air charge sensor and guess what??? The hole for the sensor was to small. Break out the old rat tail file and go to work for another ten minutes. Anyhow, did anyone have this problem or am I the only lucky guy out here and does anyone see a problem using silicone instead of that sh-t stock gasket??

Thanks Brothers

------------------
K&N
Best ET-14.21@97mph

Old 08-08-2000 | 11:46 PM
Talking

A search on this before buying would have revealed that most of us had exactly the same problems as you and more. The Downs unit is a piece of S@#t. I sent mine back
noelvm

Old 08-08-2000 | 11:48 PM
Yeah, the Downs is a flamin' POS on the looks side; and, it's a flamin' POS on fitment. But, once the flamin' bugs get worked out, it does work. On the air sensor, I just used a knife and CARFULLY shave the body of the sensor to get it to fit. It still mounts firmly into the stock box. One thing you might want to do so the filter element doesn't get ripped up on the metal box on the driver side like mine was when I bought it is to join two long tie-wraps and secure the tie-wraps around the base of the filter and run it around the rubber hose from the rad to the white plastic resivior to keep it secure.

Old 08-08-2000 | 11:56 PM
Noel is exactly correct. If you had done a search, you would have save a lot of time and $$$$$.

Which brings me to a certain subjet regarding using the search for topics.

The Board needs your help. Please go to https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/005186.html to see what the heck I am talking about.

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 08-08-2000).]

Old 08-09-2000 | 12:39 AM
|
Yeah, I have done a search for information on a chip. I didn't want to start that one because it looked like people would go crazy over the chip topic. I heard people say that the downs ford air intake was the way to go, but your right I should have researched the topic first.

Do any of you see a problem with not using the gasket?? I just put a heavy coat of silicone down and bolted the mass air down. I made sure I cleaned up any residue on the inside of the tube.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-09-2000 | 12:44 AM
Gasket? Gasket? Hell, mine didn't even come with a gasket. I thought it needed one thou, because it flanged up so badly.
noelvm

Old 08-09-2000 | 08:08 PM
I had the same problem with the gasket. I managed to use sealer effectively enough to get the install done. Then I discover the bracket to support it is so short the filter is nearly resting on itself. Oh well, I can't complain about the results, just the process of getting there.

Old 08-10-2000 | 06:06 AM
I bought the airaid filter kit and it fit perfect and was itstalled in an hour while having a few cool ones. BTW, waiting for chip and Pro-M MAF and was told I can no longer use the airaid. On truck less than 1000 miles, like new. If so, then will sell for $125.00, bought 6/11/00 for $209.95 shipped to door.

Old 08-10-2000 | 11:23 AM
Fast Gator I will buy your airaid filter setup for $125. I had a downs air intake on my bolt for a day. I was not real happy with it. I work in fairfield and live in sussex county. I can come to you and pick it up since I used to work in east rutherford and know the area well. do you live off park ave or near the post office.Tell me if you want me to give you my phone number or you give me yours and I will call you. thanks 95rcobra.

Old 08-10-2000 | 01:04 PM
Think I am sending mine back today. Does it hurt to have your MAF at a 90 degree angle other than stock. About the only way everything will fit

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning

Old 08-10-2000 | 06:40 PM
95rcobra-I want to wait to see if it will fit with the Pro-M. Should have been here today, but no delivery today. Hopefuly fridays the day. If it does not fit its yours. You can e-mail me at BlackLightninSVT@aol.com

Quick Reply: Downs Ford Air Intake Is A Pain In The A$$