Lightning

question about shifting manually

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006 | 04:51 PM
|
question about shifting manually

I did a search and came up with a few answers, but still have some questions.

1) I drive in rush hour, stop and go traffic. Sometimes I just drop it into first (when stopped) and will go only a few feet. Maybe up to 2500 rpm and not shift into second.....I just slow to a stop. Is this hurting the tranny?

2) Sometimes I like to drive with the OD off....and then will hit the OD after about 50mph. I like the control of it being in a higher gear to adjust to traffic. Or I turn off the OD when I'm slowing as in downshifting. Is this hurting the tranny?

I like to shift manually sometimes, but NEVER race that way. I'll get the rpm's up a bit (say 3-3500) and then hit second. Makes me smile when the tires let loose and I'm not really getting on it.

Thanks for any clarification.....some of the search results were not very clear.

dogg

Old 10-11-2006 | 06:25 PM
I manually shift in and out of OD consistantly in both my L and my 98GT DD.
47K miles on the L and 82K on the GT with never a problem. It's just force of habit for me to turn off the OD upon startup and turn off as well when slowing to a stop. That's one reason why I still have the original brake pads on both vehicles! Plus, the silver bullit exhaust sounds soooo good when backing off the pipes on the L!

I adopted this habit years ago with my previous DD...a 1988 Lincoln MK7 that I bought new and sold it a couple of years ago with 197K miles with the original tranny (AOD) as well as the original fluid!

Old 10-12-2006 | 09:25 AM
Nothing good can come out of this

Old 10-12-2006 | 09:52 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by sadf
Nothing good can come out of this
That depends on where you are on the food chain.

Old 10-12-2006 | 10:49 AM
Its only reving the engine higher, its not going to hurt anything.

Old 10-12-2006 | 10:54 AM
Almost 98k on my 01 L and I've always turned OD off for driving in city-traffic and for some stops and/or curves with no tranny issues.

I see no reason to drop it into first in traffic..........

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 10-12-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2006 | 11:27 AM
Downshifting into first or second creates a stress in the tranny. Shifting in and out of OD isn't an issue as per Gregg Evans.

Old 10-16-2006 | 09:49 PM
Cool That question help me out

Originally Posted by shelpdoggSVT
I did a search and came up with a few answers, but still have some questions.

1) I drive in rush hour, stop and go traffic. Sometimes I just drop it into first (when stopped) and will go only a few feet. Maybe up to 2500 rpm and not shift into second.....I just slow to a stop. Is this hurting the tranny?

2) Sometimes I like to drive with the OD off....and then will hit the OD after about 50mph. I like the control of it being in a higher gear to adjust to traffic. Or I turn off the OD when I'm slowing as in downshifting. Is this hurting the tranny?

I like to shift manually sometimes, but NEVER race that way. I'll get the rpm's up a bit (say 3-3500) and then hit second. Makes me smile when the tires let loose and I'm not really getting on it.

Thanks for any clarification.....some of the search results were not very clear.

dogg

Quick Reply: question about shifting manually