Lightning

Cold Weather Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 12:36 AM
|
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
Did you go to Midnight Madness? I didn't even bother because the temps were going to be low. I heard they closed it down early. At those temps, even if your truck doesn't hurt itself, you won't get decent traction to get a good run.

Your numbers on 13* of timing are unbelievable - literally. I bet if you dyno'd at Adrenaline, First Capital 4x4, etc, you'd find out you weren't close to Bob's dyno numbers.

-Mark

i went last night, I left about midnight.
I made an easy pass and put down a 13.9 @ 100 and had great traction off of the starting line and that was only boosting to 8lbs @ maybe 3/4 throttle.

For the temperature the track was extremly well prepped and had great traction.

What do you mean as far as my dyno numbers, is there an issue with Bob and his service??

Old 10-15-2006 | 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by LTNDave
i went last night, I left about midnight.
I made an easy pass and put down a 13.9 @ 100 and had great traction off of the starting line and that was only boosting to 8lbs @ maybe 3/4 throttle.

For the temperature the track was extremly well prepped and had great traction.

What do you mean as far as my dyno numbers, is there an issue with Bob and his service??
I let Bob and his brother tune my truck once - took that tune off the next day. Now that was 2 years ago or more and they were just starting out tuning. I figured a dyno tune would have to be better than a mail order tune, but boy was I wrong. My mail order tune from PSP was so night and day better. This is why we have flown Sal in 3 times now in a couple years (plus the KC guys flying him in there) for tuning. Your truck isn't the first one in the last year that made numbers a lot higher than you should off Bob's dyno. I would bet $100 your 440/550 (you quoting SAE or STD?) is closer to 415/510 (SAE) on any of the other dynojets in the area.

To each his own. Your cold weather questions should be directed to Bob and his brother. Are the setting max timing or letting it adjust? If they can't answer all your questions, run..

-Mark

Old 10-15-2006 | 01:16 AM
|
I was there the entire time the truck was tuned and I have had it dynoed at PUR Perf. and my numbers were w/in 10-15 hp of Bob'b numbers. It took them two times, there was an issue with the fuel tipin that we had to work out (called SCT) look at Missouri03L's sig, his is a PSP (Sal) tune with 14* timing and he is showing 425/526

I felt more confident with Bob than with PUR Perf.

My truck runs extremely good and has amazing top end pull.
the ones I would watch out for are the guys at PUR.... I wouldn't let them get near the tuning with a 100 foot pole.

I am not saying that your wrong or that I'm right but I will say that my truck runs very well for how its setup and I would not doubt that it makes 440/550 if not a bit more on the 6lb lower is the right conditions.

BTW I have a one off port that he was trying and we used my truck a guinea pig (it seems to have worked- it was a prototype of the new stage IVw/ a few minor diffs b/w the proto and the actual Stage IV).

BTW those are STD#'s, however SAE conversion factors and SAE numbers DO NOT apply to forced induction motors (turbo or supercharged).

Last edited by LTNDave; 10-15-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 08:13 AM
I was there the entire time the truck was tuned and I have had it dynoed at PUR Perf. and my numbers were w/in 10-15 hp of Bob'b numbers. It took them two times, there was an issue with the fuel tipin that we had to work out (called SCT) look at Missouri03L's sig, his is a PSP (Sal) tune with 14* timing and he is showing 425/526

I felt more confident with Bob than with PUR Perf.

My truck runs extremely good and has amazing top end pull.
the ones I would watch out for are the guys at PUR.... I wouldn't let them get near the tuning with a 100 foot pole.

I am not saying that your wrong or that I'm right but I will say that my truck runs very well for how its setup and I would not doubt that it makes 440/550 if not a bit more on the 6lb lower is the right conditions.

BTW I have a one off port that he was trying and we used my truck a guinea pig (it seems to have worked- it was a prototype of the new stage IVw/ a few minor diffs b/w the proto and the actual Stage IV).

BTW those are STD#'s, however SAE conversion factors and SAE numbers DO NOT apply to forced induction motors (turbo or supercharged).
I wouldn't trust the guys at PUR either. I give the same advice to everyone - why trust your 20k+ truck to an inexperienced tuner when the tune is the more important component in keeping your rods from leaving your block? In your case, you have low timing and meth injection so you would seem to have large margin of error. How many Lightnings has Stieg tuned - and how many people actually paid for it? Did you get the free tuning too since you let them use your truck for blower testing?

-Mark

Old 10-15-2006 | 09:40 AM
Run in the cold temps, but up the octane to make sure of no detonation.
Jim

Old 10-15-2006 | 09:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
How many Lightnings has Stieg tuned - and how many people actually paid for it? Did you get the free tuning too since you let them use your truck for blower testing?

-Mark

If I remember correctly I was looking through some of their previous dyno graphs he had over 30 L's and well over 100 stangs, he lists them by owner name and prints the final tune graph. don't remember what I paid for the port and tune but I would say around $750, so probably paid a little for the tune but not the $100 an hour he quotes everyone else.

BTW I ddin't know that they were going to use my truck for testing until he mentioned it while it was on the dyno that he tried something new w/ my blower and was quite happy with the results.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:53 AM
If I remember correctly I was looking through some of their previous dyno graphs he had over 30 L's and well over 100 stangs, he lists them by owner name and prints the final tune graph. don't remember what I paid for the port and tune but I would say around $750, so probably paid a little for the tune but not the $100 an hour he quotes everyone else.

BTW I ddin't know that they were going to use my truck for testing until he mentioned it while it was on the dyno that he tried something new w/ my blower and was quite happy with the results.
We used to run a lot of Lightnings through there just for dyno numbers, not tuning. Same with the mustang guys. Also, Brian (who later went to SCT) used to tune there. I wonder if Bob and his brother have tuned even 10 Lightnings?

It is your truck and if you are happy, that is all that matters.

-Mark

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:08 PM
|
Thanks for the info... anyone else in the STL area for tuning (reputable), I have a new MAF that I need to install and get a tune for?

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info... anyone else in the STL area for tuning (reputable), I have a new MAF that I need to install and get a tune for?
While there are 4 or more shops that can use SCT tuning software, few have any real Lightning experience.

Old 10-18-2006 | 12:30 AM
good trusted and tested tune, good fuel, cold weather, no problems. THis means with 6 lb and port you MUST HAVE AN MAF EXTENDER. if you're tuner actually tuned on this combo without at least a warning, i would stay far far away. my tuner flat out said, he wouldn't tune me without the MAF extender and he didn't care where i bought it from, he'd rather lose my business than tune it and me blow it up.

anyway, a little curious at why such a low timing tune. my street is 15* and race is 18* on 93 octane. i've got 600+ passes on mine (stock block). you can run more timing and have a safe tune, just richen it up (it's of course more complicated than that simplistic comment).

considering the weather, those numbers have got to be STD and bloated somehow or the dyno is off. BUT they are just dyno numbers, nothing else. visit 20 dynos and you'll get 20 different numbers.

i would advise dropping back to a 4lber if its really cold out. the extra 2 lbs isn't worth the risk on pump gas. i was hesitant to run my 6lber (with port) this weekend bracket racing, but i did. on 3rd pass my exhaust blew apart right in front of the muffler at half track and it got REAL loud quick!! I thought that was it for the motor but luckily it was just the exhaust. i thought it was welded but it was just clamped in front of my h-pipe and behind cats. anyway, i went into the 6th round of one class and it was about 38 degress at that point at 9pm !!! but we are at 1900 ft elev (i was running 8.0s) They had to run the jet dryer on the track before the big dogs ran their final passes (1/8th mile at 3.98 @ 180+mph).

Old 10-18-2006 | 01:08 PM
|
thanks for your info... the MAF voltage was checked on the dyno in <60weather and was still within range, I have a BA2400 and have yet to install it. Funny thing, I was only boosting 8lbs or less and on my last pass I also trashed my exhaust, destroyed the driver side cat. as far as my timing I seem to be making some good HP & TQ numbers so I see no need to increse it. BTW as I have said before it was dynoed on another dyno and produced close to the same numbers!

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:57 PM
thanks for your info... the MAF voltage was checked on the dyno in <60weather and was still within range, I have a BA2400 and have yet to install it. Funny thing, I was only boosting 8lbs or less and on my last pass I also trashed my exhaust, destroyed the driver side cat. as far as my timing I seem to be making some good HP & TQ numbers so I see no need to increse it. BTW as I have said before it was dynoed on another dyno and produced close to the same numbers!
What is the point of the meth injection if you are running such low timing with 93 octane?

-Mark

Old 10-18-2006 | 11:02 PM
|
Simply a safety cushion, and for its cooling effect. It will push IAT temps below 20* in the 100* St. Louis heat. Ultimately to supress detination, however with my setup so far its not really necessary for timing issues, but by adding more meth than water you also can gain a fair amout of HP. Snow recomends 50/50 I run 70/30 more meth than water. Adds power and decreases IAT and IAT2 temps during testing I measured the IAT temps several times and saw IAT drop of 70 degrees on average and IAT2 temps drop by at least 95 degrees.

Old 10-18-2006 | 11:34 PM
Simply a safety cushion, and for its cooling effect. It will push IAT temps below 20* in the 100* St. Louis heat. Ultimately to supress detination, however with my setup so far its not really necessary for timing issues, but by adding more meth than water you also can gain a fair amout of HP. Snow recomends 50/50 I run 70/30 more meth than water. Adds power and decreases IAT and IAT2 temps during testing I measured the IAT temps several times and saw IAT drop of 70 degrees on average and IAT2 temps drop by at least 95 degrees.
IAT2 drop of 95? I'm doubt RWTD's new chiller setup could touch that. IAT2's were problably 120-130 with a 6lb ported blower (during standard dyno testing), so are you saying you measured IAT2's around 30 degrees?

Just to compare, I had an underhood ice box and that only lowered IAT2's to 99 degrees. People spraying nitrous do not nearly see the IAT2 benefit you report - and that is before the blower like your injection.

-Mark

Old 10-19-2006 | 01:33 PM
|
with the 6lb lower temps post blower are in the range of 300-400 degrees in dense air droping it 95 degrees is only 205 (bassed on a IAT post blower of 300. I should have clarified temps are post blower (not post intercooler). By my observations my intercooler was only dropping the temps by about 60 degrees or so making 205-60=145. Pre blower temps can deffinately be below freezing I have had the intake ICE (frost) several times in humid air.

These are my obervations (I'm not rulling out that the temp sensors my have been wrong) but I don't think so.
-Dave

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Drag Racing