Lightning

Cold Weather Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006 | 12:41 PM
|
Exclamation Cold Weather Drag Racing

I have searched on the topic, but have not found any pertinent information.
I have an 01 L; tuned for a 6lb lower (17lbs) running a 4lb lower, water/met injection and a custom dyno tune by steigemeier (also have a stage 4 ported blower). A/F 11.8 w/ 13 deg timing on the 6lb lower. Switched to the 4lb lower to be a little safer in the cooler air. I was thinking of drag racing it this weeked- the last time of the year, however the air temps should be in the low 40's high 30's in the evening and I'm worried about launching a motor anyone have any idea as to how safe this combo is in the above mentioned weather conditions.

any input is appreciated

Old 10-13-2006 | 01:43 PM
If you hang around the boards long enough one thing you'll learn is cold weather and blown motors seem to go hand and hand, 30-40 degrees, there is no way I'd be running in those temps, you did make a smart move by swapping the pulley but without pulling out extra timing for cold weather I wouldn't risk it.

Old 10-13-2006 | 02:39 PM
|
I was figuring with the tune for a 6lb lower @ 17 lbs boost running 11.8 A/F @ 13 degrees timing that with the 4lb lower @ 14 lbs boost it would run at least an 11.0 if not richer, then with the water/metanol kit- that further supresses detonation, it would be realtively safe...... most of the cold weather blown motor issues I fould were WOT for longer periods (street use) not 1/4 shots.

Old 10-13-2006 | 02:44 PM
My truck runs its a$$ off in the cold. I have had 0 problems running in the cold. But I do have a built motor.

Old 10-13-2006 | 04:50 PM
Not only no....but HELL no. Not with a stock block anyway. I don't race when it gets below 50. But in south Florida...that equates to a couple days out of the year

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:43 PM
|
Its been my experience that most guse blow up with a 'lunch box tune'.

whats the issue with blowing the motor: detonation, pegging the MAF, what.... it seems to me that most of the blown motors were from a lean condition, the water/methanol controls the blower heat and also reduces if not eliminates most of the chances for detonation in my setup. the air chager temperature leaving the supercharger is less than 100 degress on a 102 degree day and it hovers in the 60's with temps in the low 70's. Am I missing something or is NO because some guys have bad luck?

Old 10-13-2006 | 06:27 PM
There's a HUGE thread about maxing out MAF meters in cold weather. Search again - you need the info.

Old 10-13-2006 | 06:45 PM
|
Originally Posted by fullboogie
There's a HUGE thread about maxing out MAF meters in cold weather. Search again - you need the info.
During my dyno tune I was at 430+ HP and 17lbs boost and only at 4.6 volts on the maf with a 6 lb lower and 11.8 A/F.
With the 4lb lower and the same tune the A/F is at 11.0 or a tad bit lower and the maf max voltage is only 4.2 volts, I would think that I still have a good margine before the maf maxes with this setup...wrong?

Old 10-13-2006 | 11:37 PM
Question

Is there any danger of maxing out the MAF sensor or blowing the motor on a stock vehicle other than cold air intake? Do I need to worry about running around in lower than 50 degree weather?

Old 10-14-2006 | 03:24 AM
|
Originally Posted by Darknight-4
Is there any danger of maxing out the MAF sensor or blowing the motor on a stock vehicle other than cold air intake? Do I need to worry about running around in lower than 50 degree weather?

Unless you are running a lager amout of boost than stock, you shouldnt; but I would still not recomend doing it often.

Old 10-14-2006 | 03:28 AM
|
Thanks for all of your input. It was well appreciated.

Old 10-14-2006 | 08:04 AM
just watch your boost. if you are making to much for the stock block then you might be in trouble, if you max out the maf. you will also get in trouble. run out of fuel etc... i throw in 104, datalog my xcal2 and my wideband. also watch the red warning light on my wideband because i have it set to come on when the a/f gets higher then 11.9 at above 80% throttle

what's the point of having a vehicle you are to scared to drive. if you modify these trucks to the point where you need to watch it then you better be prepared for the day it lets go.

Old 10-14-2006 | 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by LTNDave
Unless you are running a lager amout of boost than stock, you shouldnt; but I would still not recomend doing it often.
What do you consider a larger amount of boost over stock?

Old 10-15-2006 | 12:25 AM
|
Stock: 8lbs boost
Boost bypass Mod: about 10
Pulley Swap: 12-20+

On a stock 'untuned' motor anything over 10.

Old 10-15-2006 | 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by LTNDave
I have searched on the topic, but have not found any pertinent information.
I have an 01 L; tuned for a 6lb lower (17lbs) running a 4lb lower, water/met injection and a custom dyno tune by steigemeier (also have a stage 4 ported blower). A/F 11.8 w/ 13 deg timing on the 6lb lower. Switched to the 4lb lower to be a little safer in the cooler air. I was thinking of drag racing it this weeked- the last time of the year, however the air temps should be in the low 40's high 30's in the evening and I'm worried about launching a motor anyone have any idea as to how safe this combo is in the above mentioned weather conditions.

any input is appreciated
Did you go to Midnight Madness? I didn't even bother because the temps were going to be low. I heard they closed it down early. At those temps, even if your truck doesn't hurt itself, you won't get decent traction to get a good run.

Your numbers on 13* of timing are unbelievable - literally. I bet if you dyno'd at Adrenaline, First Capital 4x4, etc, you'd find out you weren't close to Bob's dyno numbers.

-Mark

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Drag Racing