Lightning

Had an insert come out when changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:40 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Angry Had an insert come out when changing plugs

I was changing my plugs from BR7EF's back to TR-6's and wouldn't you know, on the very last plug I had the insert come out with the plug. I thought I felt something a little weird the last time I changed plugs, but the insert stayed in that time. I sat back and pondered for a few minutes and remembered a thread on NLOC about using thread locker. So, that what I did. I put some blue thread locker on the insert threads, screwed it back in, and snugged it down good and tight. I know I should have used some red thread locker, but blue was all I had. I woke up this morning and gave it another try and the plug came right out.... without the insert. Hopefully it will stay in there from now on. If not, I'll get some red thread locker and try again...

Just thought I'd share my experience and give a testimonial to how great these forums are. They really helped me in this instance.

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:07 PM
What heads are you running?

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:54 AM
congrats on the easy fix... I'm sure your stomach sank a little when you noticed the insert came out. glad it worked out for ya.

Old 10-17-2006 | 02:01 PM
How do you know the insert is seated at the correct depth? May want to locate a bore scope and have a peak. Too shallow and the burn pattern will suffer, too deep and......

Old 10-17-2006 | 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
How do you know the insert is seated at the correct depth? May want to locate a bore scope and have a peak. Too shallow and the burn pattern will suffer, too deep and......
When using the tool for the insert, doesn't the flange on the insert keep it from going too deep? And if the insert was threaded on the plug and installed that in of itself should prevent it from going too deep.

Old 10-17-2006 | 10:10 PM
Why are you replacing your BR7EF's with TR-6's? Are going to be boosting less with that KB?

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:41 PM
|

Originally Posted by dealerjim
What heads are you running?
LFP/Patriot Stage II.

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:42 PM
|

Originally Posted by thnder
When using the tool for the insert, doesn't the flange on the insert keep it from going too deep? And if the insert was threaded on the plug and installed that in of itself should prevent it from going too deep.
I believe you're correct. I noticed there was a bevel at the top that would keep it from going back in too far,

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by LightningToGo
Why are you replacing your BR7EF's with TR-6's? Are going to be boosting less with that KB?
The engine was starting to run a little rough. Plus, my tuner recommends TR-6's to everyone under 20 PSI. As soon as I replaced them there was a very noticeable difference in the performance. Very nice...

Old 10-19-2006 | 12:45 PM
Green loc-tite may help hold them in SW

Quick Reply: Had an insert come out when changing plugs