Lightning

N2O "Dry" vs"Wet"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2000 | 02:15 PM
|
Question N2O "Dry" vs"Wet"

Hey All,

I'm new to the use of N2O.

I have heard different stories on the dry and wet kits.

Which one is the will be the least likely to have a backfire in the manifold/supercharger?

I thought a dry system would not have a backfire, because of no fuel in the manifold? N2O is nonflammable? If you have a injected motor, there is no fuel in the supercharger/manifold right?

As you can see I'm not 100% sure which kit to buy. I have a N.O.S. 5115 kit on the way, but I have read about the NX wet kit and now I'm not sure?

Thanks Kevin

Old 08-19-2000 | 02:48 PM
I am also curious as I can pick up a dry kit right now for a very very cheap price.

Old 08-19-2000 | 05:05 PM
Hey all, just got my 5115 kit from summit, cost 479.00. They have the upgrade kit for it also, but we dont need the extra fuel pump, and hoses. The instructions have a parts num breakdown so all you have to do is order the washer/shim, and the 2 orifaces/nozzels, for about another 35$, then the kit is supposed to be 150hp. The only thing i'm questioning is the location of the fogger nozzel, does it have to be in front of the t-body, or can I put it it the blower intake tract? Help please!!!

Old 08-19-2000 | 05:16 PM
Rumba,

I run one of these kits on my '96 Cobra. Mine is mounted in the plastic inlet tube neck...did not drill out the TB.

I do not believe it matters if its before or after the TB as far as performance gain goes. You're only going to be injecting it at WOT and 3-4" difference isn't going to matter.

I've had my kit on for 2 years with not one single problem.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)--364rwhp/444rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 08-19-2000 | 05:27 PM
Kevin,

The biggest issue I have with wet kits is when they are used with injected engines that have long-runner intake manfolds. The problem here is that you can get fuel puddling up inside the intake...could cause a huge backfire if the situation is right.

I think with either kit, if its operated properly, you will not have a problem.

Obviously the L motor has no intake, per se, just the blower sitting on top. You are correct in that our motors do NOT have any fuel up in the blower (or even the intercooler tract). It's injected below that right above the intake port on the head.

The advantage to a wet kit is that in theory you get better nitrous/fuel atomization as it enters the combustion chamber. What this means to me is that its a bit more efficient. IOW, you might have to inject a little more nitrous with a dry kit to make the same HP as the wet kit. However, at the relatively small levels we're talking about (anything under 200hp is considered "small"), I don't see the dry kit hurting performance.

The big Pro classes all use foggers, and they're different than the wet or dry kits we commonly think of on street driven vehicles. They're also running 350+hp shots of nitrous in most cases.

Again, I think either kit will work fine. There are a number of guys having great success with the NX wet kit, and there are also plenty of guys running the NOS 5115 dry kit.

I'm not educated enough in the science/mechanics of it to know whether injecting the fuel/nitrous mix into the blower is a problem for the blower or anything else. At least there is no portion of the intake tract where fuel could puddle up.

It's too bad there's not a good place to put the nitrous nozzle BELOW the blower. Cooling the compressed air would be another huge benefit of the nitrous. Cooling the air _before_ its compressed isn't nearly as efficient, IMHO. People who run nitrous with turbos or centrifugal blowers (or roots blowers without intercoolers) will inject the nitrous in b/w the blower and the engine. Not only do you get more oxygen to burn, but you also have just created a nice intercooling effect.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)--364rwhp/444rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 08-19-2000 | 09:17 PM
I agree with Wes, and I also am running a wet system from NX. I like the efficency of the wet system and the fact that I didn't half to de-tune my motor any at all. Most with the dry shot have had there chips de-tuned for nitrous, didn't like that idea so I went with the wet shot, and tuned with the jetting. So for so good!

------------------
SeeYa Round
HALO # 051199-1132
1badtk@haloclub.com
12.364 @ 108.14
"The Surgeon General Gave No Warning Against Smoking The Competition"

Quick Reply: N2O "Dry" vs"Wet"