Lightning

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000 | 01:10 AM
|
Question exhaust question

Well, I've done a lot of searching and couldn't get my question answered so now I come before all of you and ask your help with information about the following:

I'm at the beach just before sundown and a black SVT Cobra drives by and it has one nice sound...

He did a u turn and followed me for a while. At a stop sign he complimented me on my L and I on his Cobra. I asked him if it was the stock exhaust and he said it was a Flowmaster.

I am interested in getting that sound to come out of the L. I don't care about it improving performance as I do not race my truck, but that sound would be cool. All the searches seemed to return results that had everyone talking about headers, and cat backs, and on and on, and were primairly concerned with performance gains.

Call me a poser, but, if I change the mufflers can I get that exhaust note without having to do the whole system? One or two mufflers? Is flowmaster good? I'd like something a little throatier than the stock, but not outrageous.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

k

[This message has been edited by kobiashi (edited 08-28-2000).]

Old 08-28-2000 | 01:35 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Unbolt your muffler, and undo the hangers. Jump inside, and have fun. Its the cheapest way (IMHO) to get a mean sound. I dropped .293 off my 1/4 mile. I don't want to sound like I am beating a dead horse with my straight pipes, but I haven't heard one bad thing about them except people cussing about their alarms going off.

I did it as strictly a sound modification, and the performance was a plus. I thought I was going to lose power, but that wasn't the case. I came across the sound when the muffler kept blowing off. Without the pipes blowing the sound out the side, its too loud in the cab, as the muffler bolts right underneath the passenger seat.

sorry fellows, I won't talk about my exhaust system anymore.

{I guess its outrageous, didn't see that part}
------------------
99 Black Lightning
factory tonneau cover, 100k mile warrantee, bed/under liner,

1/4
2.145 60' 8.789@82.71 (1/8) 13.603@101.05 1/4 same run
straight pipes, 'Major' rear lights, no chip
Lightning!

[This message has been edited by Tundra (edited 08-28-2000).]

Old 08-28-2000 | 11:47 AM
Thumbs up

Tundra, 3/10ths from the muffler sounds like it's a big restriction. i know Ray also ran some good times with the "straight pipes". did you use flex pipe to rejoin the exhaust or a rigid one? can you hear the radio when you cruise or is it pretty loud all the time.
thanks

Old 08-28-2000 | 01:18 PM
Thumbs up

I am intrested too. Would this get me a ticket here in Illinois? is it real loud in idle and at low throttle. I have pissy neighbors are they going to complain as I pull out of my driveway?

------------------
-Dave M
'00 Blk L.
Dmcshane@sidwellco.com
JohhnyLightning Ram Air Kit
JohhnyLightning SuperChip
Powerstack Filter
Mobil 1

[This message has been edited by BlkSVTTruck (edited 08-28-2000).]

Old 08-28-2000 | 09:57 PM
|
btt

Old 08-28-2000 | 10:17 PM
Rest In Peace
If you listen closely to the 95cobras.mov, you can here us listening to a CD, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think I had the volume up to 4 bars, and the windows were closed, if I remember right. I did not use flex piping, it was rigid, and pre-bent 90*.

Old 08-28-2000 | 11:19 PM
I am also interested in the same type of sound as you, Kobiashi. Even the stock GTs have a deep throaty note, and I'd sure love to get something serious out of the L's exhaust. I did notice that as my wife dropped me off at LAX and romped on it a bit on her way out, it sounded a hell of alot better than I thought it did. You just don't hear much over the supercharger whine from inside the cab. Perhaps someone out there has an idea?

Old 08-29-2000 | 02:49 AM
Rest In Peace
Just wanted to let you know I posted some pcitures of the straight pipes on the truck. Its on the my website, for sake of keeping load time here (even though its fast enough) nice

straight pipes info

Getting good at this html stuff

PS, just looked at the slips again, there is a .081 difference in 60' stock vs. straight, but still a .212 difference overall.

Quick Reply: exhaust question