Lightning

Veterans Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 09:56 PM
Just put my uncle, a WWII Pacific Vet, one of the "greatest generation" to rest today. The picked piper played, the local VFW Post was there at full attention and fired three rounds in a last salute to a soldier boy going home.

Old 11-14-2006 | 05:44 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet here. 2 years with the 1st Armor division in West Germany and 2 years with The 3rd Armored Cavalry, Fort Bliss (EL Paso) Texas. Crew member on an M1-A1 Abrams. One of the badest freakin' machines (next to the L) I have ever driven.

We had the support then and I give it today.

Old 11-14-2006 | 06:37 PM
Thanks for your service!!!

Sadly I had to go to my father's grave at Calverton National Cemetary, 1st Vday since he past, did 2 tours in nam. You want to get that warm fuzzy patriotic fealing, you have to go to a national memorial cemetary on Vday or July 4. Nothing like rolling in to 20 ft flags lining both sides of the road and on July 4th every single grave has a small flag placed on it.

Old 11-14-2006 | 07:17 PM
I love this country !

I just came back from a funeral for a friend, who served 23 years in the USAF as a KC-135 refueler. He also helped hundreds of people maybe even thousands, fix innumerable numbers of cars, trucks, washers, houses, etc., this man knew everything and built more houses and churches than anyone! And he never asked for money, or asked anyone to pay for the parts needed to fix all these things. So in essence, his work was totally unselfish, and his family supported him and frequently worked beside him. All 4 of his sons made Eagle Scout before they were 14 years old.
At the end of the service ( I was the concluding speaker), a USAF honor guard came in, and in a most dignified, reverent, manner, took the flag off his casket, their 6 pairs of hands in awesome unison, lifted the flag off the casket, the guard at the head of the casket saluted, and another member played Taps. They then folded the flag so tightly and beautifully, and the 7th man, presented it to his widow, as the honor guard marched out. There was not a dry eye in the house.. I hope that we can go forward, insuring that the generations here and to come will never forget what that flag means and the blood, sweat, and tears that were paid and are being paid today to keep it flying proudly in freedom. God Bless you and yours, Cleve Anderson.... DanF USAF 1967-1973

Quick Reply: Veterans Day