Lightning

chip or programmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 12:07 AM
|
chip or programmer

Hello, I've heard people talking about replacing the chip or having a chip burned on lightnings. Do these trucks actually have chips? I was thinking the only thing you could do is buy one of those programmers for about 300 dollars or so. Thanks

skelly454 00 lightning

Old 11-13-2006 | 10:32 AM
You can go with either. It all really depends on your personal preference. I originally went with a tuner and it was nice because I could make some changes myself and only had to wait for an email to get an updated tune. Currently I use a chip so I can switch between programs very quickly without having to mess with anything other than flipping a switch. Anytime I need a change I have to send the chip back to my tuner and he makes the changes. In my mind this is a good thing because I am not an expert with tuning and shouldn't be tinkering with my own tune anyways. Pick a tuner, give him a call and see what he recommends for you.

Old 11-13-2006 | 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I think that if you're tune savvy, a tuner would be a good idea because you can adjust things. Me, I use a chip because I leave the tuning up to my tuner. Plus, like JayL said, I can switch between tunes very quickly.

Old 11-13-2006 | 09:42 PM
Nothing wrong with a "proper" chip for your application by itself. It's just that today all the suppliers want to sell you one of the available "programmers." The "programmers," however, do offer you great versatility in that you can do some things yourself - and many of the "tuners" will supply you with "new" tunes that you can download that attempt to match any changes you've make, as you need them. So if you plan on making many changes in the future, the programmers seem to have the advantage in that you won't need to have your chip re-done as you make changes.

Old 11-14-2006 | 12:09 AM
|
chip or programmer

Hey thanks for the advice guys. I do plan on doing some further mods so it sounds like maybe the programmer is the way to go. Is there any one particular brand of programmer that you would recommend or they all just about the same? thanks again

skelly454 00 lightning

Old 11-14-2006 | 12:40 AM
get a programmer. (XCal2) ....search for it....

Quick Reply: chip or programmer