Lightning

Strait pipes do gain 2 tenths!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2000 | 10:30 PM
|
Post Strait pipes do gain 2 tenths!!

I put strait pipes on my Lightning just for ford fun weekend.It does gain 2 tenths on the ET.I know this because my truck runs consistant with the weather and with the humidity,I have been running 13.4s now with the same weather,im back to 13.2s consistant!!Im putting my muffler back on monday but just so you all know.IT DOES WORK!! IT IS LOUD!!! THIS TRUCK SOUNDS MEAN!!!!I personally like the stock package but for all you power hungry,It will drop your ETS by 2 tenths!!

Old 08-19-2000 | 02:23 AM
So how exactly do you do straight pipes? And is it expensive.

Old 08-19-2000 | 03:45 AM

There's a guy on Sal's lightning board saying he gains 42hp with a custom designed set of long-tube headers and high-flow cats.

Old 08-19-2000 | 10:35 PM
|
just cut the pipes going from your tips to your muffler with a saw and unbolt the muffler and slide it off.Then the shop will take 2.5 inch stock pipe and slide it and weld.Price is probally about 75 at any muffler shop.I got it done for 40

Old 08-19-2000 | 11:29 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Hey guys, it was I who did the straight pipes research. Glad to know its getting popular.

Lightningquick, like the sound? No one f%^ks with me on the streets anymore. I used to have the chevies and the dodges show their loud exhaust to me when I had the muffler on. Everyone must have thought I was all show and no go. Not anymore.

I went around to various muffler shops, and when they are not working for the circus, the clowns are working the muffler shops.

$150 - $200 quoted. So I went to NAPA and bought 12 feet of 2.5" exhaust tubing, just under $40. Only needed about 6 feet though ($20 so far). Then I went to Shucks and bought 2 90 degree 2.5" exhaust bends ($4 ea., $28 total), and 10 clamps ($2 ea, $48 total). This is because I did not have access to a welder or a pipe bender. I undid the stock tips from the muffer.

Please note the two pipes are of even height from the ground (dP), but some adjustments can be made, it just depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

I should have a digital camera early next week, so I will post pictures then. This winter, I plan on making it pretty, as the clamps here and there look rather un-professional, but then again it was a drive-way job.

PS, last night this kid in a 90-ish Mustang LX asked if we wanted to run for pinks, along with a Camaro, we get lined up, three across, me on the far left, him in the middle, and the Camaro in the right lane. We get to a light, and the kid in the Mustang starts BSing with my co-pilot. His head is hanging out the window, not paying attention to the light. Light goes green, and he gets it, full throttle, right in his face. I couldn't stop laughing. The Camaro was at my door, and stayed there until third gear shift, where he finnally passed my at 105. It was fun last night.

------------------
99 Black Lightning
created 8/17/99, bought 9/25/99
#3681/4000
factory tonneau cover
100k mile warrantee, bed/under liner, paint protected
W:L:T ratio
5:2:1

Old 08-20-2000 | 11:23 AM
Cool

how about removing cat,s does this gain e/t i tried this for the strip and could never get a good comparison because of added mods at the same time like shift kit and svo throttle body. it was really loud but not a peformance sound when you step on it,sounded good at idle or cruise speed but not when your on it.my boost gauge was a pound higher in hot weather with them off straight to the bassani cat back but this could be the t/b.

------------------
00 black team swanson

Old 08-20-2000 | 09:55 PM
Both Tundra and I commented on this setup 6 months ago. I bought a custom x pipe for $70.00 from cobrarose and bolted it in the place of the muffler (4 c clamps and its back stock). I have enjoyed how it sounds since but everytime I get on the highway at 70 I think of adding some mufflers to mellow it some. I still love the roar around town so I am torn. I have yet to chip mine, but I do run Very close (less than 1 length up to 90) to a chiped L which suprised us both. I can not wait for the chip fund to reach 350.00.

Old 08-21-2000 | 03:21 PM
|
Ive always had flowmasters.The sound of strait pipes is actually not bad at cruiing speeds..Its quieter than the sound of flowmasters and it definatly tolerable.the loudness comes when you squash the go pedal.BOY IT IS LOUD! Sounds healthy though.it does not sound raspy or like a sick truck.It had a definate deep HP tone to it.Im gonna keep it on for a little while

Old 08-22-2000 | 12:56 AM
What about a drone when going down the highway? I mean is it bad, barely noticeable, or what?

------------------
00 Black Lightning
No mods yet, just enjoying her stock for now!

Old 08-22-2000 | 02:53 PM
hello, just got back from the muff. shop and got mine cut out. damn, it is LOUD! in the city it sounds awesome, had a ss look at me, but no play--damn. get this bad boy on the hiway DAMN its loud. but, i think ill get use to it

2000 L
straight pipes

Old 08-22-2000 | 09:33 PM
hey guys i have a problem, as you know i got straight pipes now, and i notice the there is a lost of power between 1st and 2nd, what can i do to fix this problem?

thanks

carl

Old 08-23-2000 | 12:24 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I don't think you are pressing the pedal hard enough. I haven't lost any power.

Old 08-23-2000 | 01:11 AM
any harder and ill be through the floor board-lol

Old 08-23-2000 | 01:06 PM
|
I actually felt like I lost power too at first.then a couple of days later It felt like it was making even more power than before.My track times dont lie.IT WORKS! Sometimes when your used to the smooth power then you get loud exhaust it feels like you lose power just cause of the sound.

Old 08-23-2000 | 08:07 PM
Question

Is it possible that the L's pcm needs to adjust to the better flowing exhaust, which could take a few days?

Quick Reply: Strait pipes do gain 2 tenths!!