Lightning

intercooler drinking to much antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 12:47 PM
|
intercooler drinking to much antifreeze

hi, i just bought a 2000 lightning about two month ago with 45000 miles. Had no problems until about a week ago. i notice that the intercooler reservoir was low on antifreeze so i top it off. Now its using about a gallon every two to three days. I dont see any leaks while its in park and running. Is this normal for the intercooler to use this much antifreeze? also i notice when i want to pass someone on the road, the truck slurges under a load. around 3700 rpm. does anybody have any clue what the problem is. thanks

Old 11-19-2006 | 12:56 PM
Has your truck had the intercooler recall done? It sounds like the intercooler itself is leaking into the lower intake manifold. Do a search for intercooler recall and you'll find a bunch of information. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2006 | 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by rooster2000
hi, i just bought a 2000 lightning about two month ago with 45000 miles. Had no problems until about a week ago. i notice that the intercooler reservoir was low on antifreeze so i top it off. Now its using about a gallon every two to three days. I dont see any leaks while its in park and running. Is this normal for the intercooler to use this much antifreeze? also i notice when i want to pass someone on the road, the truck slurges under a load. around 3700 rpm. does anybody have any clue what the problem is. thanks
Stop driving the truck NOW. You are filling your motor with antifreeze. The 99 and 00 trucks had leaking intercooler cores. Ford had a recall for a few years, but it's long since over. Do a search here on the forums for all the info you need on the recall parts. You might luck out and find some. Worst case, you can just switch to the 01-up intake, I/C, and blower.

Old 11-19-2006 | 03:10 PM
|
Thanks for the info, I'll check into it and call the dealer on monday.

Old 11-19-2006 | 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by rooster2000
Thanks for the info, I'll check into it and call the dealer on monday.
Keep in mind that the dealer won't be able to do much for you. The recall is LONG over and the parts are no longer made. Some members here on the forums might know of some recall kits laying around.

Old 11-19-2006 | 04:24 PM
Sal's da man!

Give JLP a call, he has a cheap fix for the leaky I/C. Which I knew about that when I bought my "kit".

Quick Reply: intercooler drinking to much antifreeze