Lightning

Ford Blocks Performance Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000 | 05:06 PM
|
Red face Ford Blocks Performance Chip?

Help! Took my '99 L into Ford because it had a miss at 1500-1800rpm. Took out chip and disconnected/reconnected battery before taking it in. Problem was a bad coil. Bad coil replaced along with re-flashing PCM. Service writer was aware of after market products on truck and was ok with it, this included his knowledge of prior use of performance chip. Fixed. Miss gone...truck runs great.
Put PSP Chip back in...truck won't start. Put Superchip back in truck won't start. Disconnect battery reinstall twice more. No go!
Has Ford detected my use of after market chip and done something to PCM to block its use? Was my 99 'L flashed with '00 program and my chip(s) are not compatible? Any ideas?

Old 09-16-2000 | 06:12 PM
Talking

Hello Calightnin

If your EEC was reflashed, They would have change it from a 1999 to the 2000 program. The 2000 has a better program and with this change you will not be able to use any prior level chips. You will need to have PSP and Superchips upgrade the chips for your vehicle.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 09-16-2000 | 06:19 PM
|
Thanks BABolt! I can deal with that. I was freakin out. I will call dealership on Monday to confirm.

Old 09-16-2000 | 06:30 PM
Hey Calighnin!

If you dont have access to a 2000 chip... I'm just about to order the new superchip (emailed Mike yesterday)... should get it in a few days.

As soon as I get it... you can borrow it and verify that this is the problem... before you start paying people to reburn your chip.

-Dreamin

[This message has been edited by DreaminAboutL (edited 09-16-2000).]

Old 09-16-2000 | 06:57 PM
Calightnen:

Describe your miss to me. I am wondering if I am experiencing the same thing. Recently I notice uneven running just under 2000 rpm when running at steady throttle, prior to the shift to overdrive. With the R9 Superchip, steady throttle at around 40mph, and just under 2 grand keeps it in third. It can be forced into overdrive by either letting of the gas, or accelerating. Prior to doing either, I detect a sort of "burble" in the sound of the engine. It is smooth on any acceleration. I wonder if I am experiencing the same problem.

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
Skydive69@msn.com
Apopka, Florida
99 White Lightning #2091 DOB 6-8-99
Airaid air box (S&B Filter) & Superchip
Kills:
Last 4 generation Mustang GT's (Including Cobra)
Audi S4
Dodge R/T

Old 09-16-2000 | 07:37 PM
|
skydive69 its sounds like the exact same thing. Very subtle. The more aggressive the chip, the worse the miss. Had it for a while (like a month) and keep getting worse. Get your coils checked.
Hey DreaminAboutL. From what Im being told... Im pretty sure the upgrade to the 2000 code is probably be the problem. I will check with dealership, and Superchip on Monday. If they did update me to the 2000 program Ill just go ahead and send it in for a reburn. Thanks for the offer tho. Hey Sacramento Raceway Saturday Sept 26th 6pm - 10 pm? No eliminations, just runs. Sears Point is impossible. Too dang many cars. idg@home.com

Old 09-16-2000 | 09:30 PM
hey calightnin check your door panels for a sticker that says cux2. When they replaced my computer they took my cux1 sticker out and added a cux2 one.

Quick Reply: Ford Blocks Performance Chip?