Lightning

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 09:00 PM
|
Sound System

Hey guys, I don't know much about setting up a stereo but for xmas I'm getting hooked up. I want to get a new head unit (obviously) and new speakers..any suggestions on those without spend a ton of flow??? Second of all..after I get the speakers and the new head unit, what do I go with an amp or a sub...or both?? but what would make better sense if i just did one or the other..head unit, speakers and amp or head unit, speakers, and sub..I guess i would prob need an amp to power the sub correct? I want a full system..all suggestions and help is much appreciated..thanks

Old 12-13-2006 | 04:58 AM
I believe there is actually a dedicated Stereo forum on the site, but here it goes You definately wont regret getting a nice stereo. I had 4 Massive CW12s in my F250 and 2 Lanzar 500.2(750x2rms) amps and liked them alot. The amps were totaly bulletproof, very powerful. One amp would actually stroke all four 12s down to 30hz at what looked like full excursion. Everybody has differing opinions on amplifiers. But being able to get a 500.2 on Ebay for $280 with shipping is a deal that I couldnt pass up. The problem I have now is that the 12s or the amp wont fit the lightning(Unless I do a cut through ) As far as components go I bought a set of Lanzar Vibe pros about 3 1/2 years ago and I still use those. I'm biased towards Clarion decks so that is all I'll ever buy.(very nice motorized deck dxz665 Ebay $170). As long as you stay with less powerful 10s youll probably be ok with just running your mids and highs off the deck. But if you go powerful with the subs youll probably need to look into getting an amp and a nice component set for your mids and highs which will also be cleaner and better sounding, or else the subs will drown out the stock mids and highs. Ok now I'm rambling.

Old 12-13-2006 | 07:46 PM
I'm thinking about getting some JL 8w7's w/a jl amp. I think I'll only be able to fit the 8"s back there and still have the ability to put the seats all the way back. I'm going to match it to a Clarion touchscreen head unit. Haven't decided on what brand of speakers to go with yet. Can't wait!

Old 12-13-2006 | 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Falcon11
I'm thinking about getting some JL 8w7's w/a jl amp. I think I'll only be able to fit the 8"s back there and still have the ability to put the seats all the way back. I'm going to match it to a Clarion touchscreen head unit. Haven't decided on what brand of speakers to go with yet. Can't wait!
Dude a W7 huge. LoL It might fit side ways. A W3 isn't an easy fit back there.

Old 12-13-2006 | 11:03 PM
The issue is depth with the upper end JL's, get your measurements straight before you open your wallet, I know they've been done but I don't know about seat movement loss, for me I'd do a single 10' passenger side storage and use the center/drivers side for equipment, it will move plenty of air for the small space in the cab and go deep enough, 30HZ or so keep it sealed for a nice tight package.

Old 12-14-2006 | 12:51 AM
i have pioneer slim fit 12" behind my seat and it fits perfect. no loss of any seat movement, excellent sound quality, they cost a little over 100 bucks and the mounting depth of the sub is only like 3-1/4".. i saw someone before on the forums that had 4 of them behind his seat of his lightning..if you dont want a 12'', they make 10''s too..

Last edited by KUKS; 12-14-2006 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Sound System