Lightning

Blown Motor, Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006 | 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by 01Diablo
I have a built shortblock and Im local Palm Beach Ron@garabar.com if interested.
Not to hijack the thread...but give me some details on this. Am in the market for a built block.

Old 12-25-2006 | 10:29 AM
|
Originally Posted by fullboogie
Welcome to the "I just blew my engine in cold weather because I have no idea what my MAF counts are" club. You had no way of knowing because you're new to the community. But this is the time of year that post after post pops up proclaiming "I just blew my engine!"

The lesson to be learned for the future is that you don't throw money and parts at your L without datalogging the effects on the engine. Lots of posts about the danger of exceeding the capabilities of the MAF meter and the resulting "boom".

Best wishes on getting things back together.

Well like I said, here in florida it really doesn't get cold, atleast not yet. The lowest number my truck has seen is 60 degrees. I bought the truck as is from the dealer, so I didnt know what had been done to the truck, besided seeing the exhaust and intake. I later measured the pulley to find out more info. The truck must have a tune or a chip, I just don't know what. I have been used to driving european cars and have driven them hard and raced, with no problems ever. Now I move into a american car, and boom, 3 months and the engine is dead. My M3 lasted the 25k miles I drove it without doing anything to it. Oh well, the sacrifices you have to make for torque! By the way, if you guys wanna see my truck run along some nice cars, take a look at this link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...erglades&hl=en

Old 12-25-2006 | 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by DomesticAbuser
I am a fresh Lightning owner, had mine for 3 months now, and have a blown motor. Bought the truck from a Ford dealer and the truck already had the mods installed, here's what I got that I know: 6lb pulley, K&N intake, and magnaflow exhaust with no cats. I got the truck dynoed here in WPB FL, and it made 400rwhp and 500rwtrq when it was 80degrees outside.
So a couple of days ago I was getting on it on the highway, and kaboom goes the engine. I haven't opened it yet, but what I know is that I have a 2 inch diameter hole in the block! I think I melted/damaged a piston and it made the rest of the engine go... well you guess I think my truck might have been running too lean.

Anyways, I would really appreciate all the help I could get concerning a engine rebuild. I would like to get an aftermarket block, new forged pistons, cams etc... Any suggestions to what parts I should consider and omit? I was looking for a budget around $6k, can that get anything? And what can kind of power can I expect to gain from a new block and new internals? Thanks for all the help before hand.
IM ALSO FROM WPB FL AND WAS WONDERING WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR TRUCK DYNOED. I LIVE NOW IN SOUTH CAROLINA CAUSE IM IN THE MARINE CORPS AND I JUST CAME FROM FL 3 DAYS AGO AND WANTED TO KNOW WHERE I CAN TAKE IT NEXT TIME I GO DOWN THERE.

Old 12-25-2006 | 08:17 PM
|
TPS I thinks i was, Total Performance and service i think it stands for. They are located on Federal Hwy close to Belvedere Rd. They tune mostly turbo supras and supercharged vehicles. It was $63 with tax for three runs and dyno graphs for each run. They said that their dyno is very pessimistic on their numbers and said you will most likely get 15-25hp less on their dyno... so mine made 399 and change, so I was happy. Hopefully it works out.

Quick Reply: Blown Motor, Help Needed!