Lightning

Trans replacement/rebuild opinions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007 | 09:43 PM
|
Trans replacement/rebuild opinions appreciated

Hey guys...

It's been a long time since I've been around here, but it's good to be back!

Ok, at 57,000 miles, my 01 L is having a hard time shifting. I'm not throwing any codes, but it won't shift into 2nd unless I back off the gas. So...

I've spent a lot of time searching the forums but would still like to hear some opinions. (and please, no vendor bashing - just your personal experiences with what you did with your truck please)

Here's my dilemma. I don't see my truck producing really high bhp numbers (at least not until after the engine dies - which I hope is quite some time in the future) so don't think I need the world's stoutest transmission.

I am not trustworthy of an of the tranny shops in the local Philly area, as I've not ever had to use any of them. (Recommendations are appreciated if you happen to know of one, tho).

I've looked at the Monster Box, Brian's Transmission Shop, Level 10 and the Johnny Lightning offerring, (and all the good/bad posts about the various trannies) but everything seems like overkill. However, it looks like I'm not going to have much choice. I'd like to avoid spending $3600 + install and still get a replacement/rebuilt transmission. Am I kidding myself?

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

James

Old 01-06-2007 | 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by OneRedTXBolt
Hey guys...

It's been a long time since I've been around here, but it's good to be back!

Ok, at 57,000 miles, my 01 L is having a hard time shifting. I'm not throwing any codes, but it won't shift into 2nd unless I back off the gas. So...

I've spent a lot of time searching the forums but would still like to hear some opinions. (and please, no vendor bashing - just your personal experiences with what you did with your truck please)

Here's my dilemma. I don't see my truck producing really high bhp numbers (at least not until after the engine dies - which I hope is quite some time in the future) so don't think I need the world's stoutest transmission.

I am not trustworthy of an of the tranny shops in the local Philly area, as I've not ever had to use any of them. (Recommendations are appreciated if you happen to know of one, tho).

I've looked at the Monster Box, Brian's Transmission Shop, Level 10 and the Johnny Lightning offerring, (and all the good/bad posts about the various trannies) but everything seems like overkill. However, it looks like I'm not going to have much choice. I'd like to avoid spending $3600 + install and still get a replacement/rebuilt transmission. Am I kidding myself?

James

I bought the BTS after having the same problem; but, the JLP unit is going for a little over half of what the BTS costs. I haven't heard anyone griping about his trannies yet. I just liked the 2 year unconditional warranty you get with the BTS.

Old 01-06-2007 | 11:06 AM
If you can locate a good shop locally both LFP and Level ten offer rebuild kits with sturdier parts. It would be cheaper to do it this way.
Jim

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by OneRedTXBolt

James

I got 5 years of beating the ever living crap out of my STOCK trans on the 02 and that included 3 years of heavy N20 use, (it worked perfect when I sold it)I now have 50K on this STOCK trans and it to works perfect so why not consider simply putting a stock trans back in....

I did a quick search and found rebuilts for $1195.00 (+core)
http://www.seattleremanufacturedtran...PROD&ProdID=14
I'm sure they're out there for a lot cheaper than that too

Or as Jim said buy a Rebuilding kit and find a GOOD tranny shop to do it,
what could they charge you 500.00 ???
The Master Rebuilt kit in only $223.00
http://www.autotransparts.com/cart.p...uct_detail&p=8
Or get a better rebuilding kit as Jim said, you'd still be all fixed up for a good $
I see them cheap on E-Bay all the time, here's one now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

There's also "other" built 4r100's out there too
Here's some heavy duty Diesel Version for 2500.00
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/fo...r100trans.html

IMO in your case I think the move is to just rebuild what you have...

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:22 PM
Getting yours rebuilt would be ideal; but, you said you didn't have a shop around that you trusted to do the work. That's the same reason I went with BTS. I KNOW that they do good work and stand behind thier product.

As far as the stock tranny goes, I know I'm easier on mine that Ronbo is and mine didn't make it past 40K. That's with a tranny flush at 30K and no tranny adjustments in any of my tunes to increase shift firmness. Only a FTVB and 4.10 gears. The stock tranny is a crapshoot at best. Ronbo got lucky.

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:52 PM
I agree Odin and I also agree BTS is the Best
And believe me when I say I truly belive this stock one wont last much longer,
especially driving around 24/7 on a 600/700 program
BUT GOT DAM IS IT FUN

Old 01-06-2007 | 02:54 PM
James
Long time no hear ...

Terry in Duncanville builds a decent tranny

Doug

Old 01-06-2007 | 03:28 PM
I'm in the market as well my issue is 3800.00 for a BTS, while I know it's a great piece by the time it's installed, fluid and misc. extras it's a 4700-5000 ticket, which is just to rich for me so the way I'm heading is toward one LFP rebuild kits, Pro Torque converter, new FTVB, Moroso pan and Ford Pump if not included. Grand total less than 2K add another 1K for rebuild and misc. and for 3K it's done, is it as stout as a BTS, no, but similar combos have run in the ten consistantly.

Old 01-06-2007 | 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by todd abbott
I'm in the market as well my issue is 3800.00 for a BTS, while I know it's a great piece by the time it's installed, fluid and misc. extras it's a 4700-5000 ticket, which is just to rich for me so the way I'm heading is toward one LFP rebuild kits, Pro Torque converter, new FTVB, Moroso pan and Ford Pump if not included. Grand total less than 2K add another 1K for rebuild and misc. and for 3K it's done, is it as stout as a BTS, no, but similar combos have run in the ten consistantly.
Todd was that you I gave to today in Milford>??? I was in my GN. Let me know when you want to do that tranny! -Mat-

Old 01-06-2007 | 09:32 PM
I have one of the BTS units and I want to say its the best of everything.

No worries, no problems, and it drives/shifts like a "smoth operator" in daily driving duties.
Now Matt (SVT 150) is a trans mechanic and makes his living do repairs, so he would he a great source of info and of doing a repair if your in the area.

But I do need a rebuild of a 97 Explorer 5 speed Auto........hehe
You interested Matt

Old 01-06-2007 | 11:58 PM
Matt, I thought that might be you in the GN, I had a few free hours today and figured I'd take avantage, you were obviously doing the same, your GN sounds great ( I knew it wasn't a stocker ) as for my tranny I'm going to get in touch, I want to have it done, looks like mid Febuary I have some toy money.

Old 01-07-2007 | 12:58 AM
|
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I definitely read many good things about the BTS trannies. Maybe in the future when I'm done saving for the new house and the upcoming marriage

I may have found a local shop recommended by one of the local NLOC guys. I will be checking with them next week. I had also left a voicemail for JLP on Friday and hope to hear back from him this coming week.

I suspect my issue is that I have one of the mechanical diode trannies. Lucky me.

Thanks for the links Rob. If I can find a reliable tranny guy up here I agree that a rebuild is the answer.

Long time no see Doug. I'm living in Philly still (although I'd forgotten to change my location earlier ) so Terry wouldn't work. Otherwise, that'd prolly work out really well.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the answers.

James

Old 01-07-2007 | 12:48 PM
Cool Transmissions

Anyone got the website address for Level 10? Need a rebuid kit myself and haven't decided which one to use yet. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2007 | 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fast Gator
I have one of the BTS units and I want to say its the best of everything.

No worries, no problems, and it drives/shifts like a "smoth operator" in daily driving duties.
Now Matt (SVT 150) is a trans mechanic and makes his living do repairs, so he would he a great source of info and of doing a repair if your in the area.

But I do need a rebuild of a 97 Explorer 5 speed Auto........hehe
You interested Matt
Bring it on up, I can get that thing done for ya. What kind of problems are you having with it>???

Old 01-07-2007 | 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_99Lightning
There's also "other" built 4r100's out there too
Here's some heavy duty Diesel Version for 2500.00
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/fo...r100trans.html
I just started using Suncoast for some diesel stuff I have been getting involved with and they make some quality products.
Lots of the Duramax guys swear by them. When it comes time to do the trans in my Dually that is who's parts will be going in it. -Mat-

Quick Reply: Trans replacement/rebuild opinions appreciated