Lightning

Calling Ba Bolt OB question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000 | 06:22 PM
|
Post Calling Ba Bolt OB question

I understand you are the main man when it comes to the OB polished throttle body, are you selling them, I have seen your pics , very impressive, is there much improvement
Do they need any modifications to the throttle linkage, thanks in advance
Nick

Old 09-30-2000 | 06:51 AM
|
hello

Old 09-30-2000 | 08:30 AM
Hello nick d
Just saw your note. Yes I do convert the Cobra throttle body and make it Lightning specific and sell them too. They do not come polished but I can provide it to you disassembled if that is what you would like. Please send me an e-mail and I will get right back to you mphillips@mediaone.net

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 09-30-2000 | 04:04 PM
Question

BA, question?
I think there is more to this "cool" is better than just the intercooler fluid. Are you running the 160 degree Hypertech thermostat or have you tried it?
noelvm

Old 09-30-2000 | 08:09 PM
Talking

Noel
I am still running the stock thermostat and have never tried a 160. Additionally, I only run a chip in my truck when I go racing. Please give me about a week and I will post a clever intercooler add on.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

[This message has been edited by BABolt (edited 09-30-2000).]

Old 09-30-2000 | 11:35 PM
Talking

After our first really cool nite I was perplex at what to dial in. If my truck sat for 30 minutes it would run .1 faster. I did this but and here is my mistake, when I did my burnout I spun the tires much longer than I usually do thinking everything was cold and heating up the tires longer would be better. i ran .15 off my dial end because I heated up my engine in the "water box", a mistake I won't make again, but I think the 160 degree thermo might be worth trying. I will pick up one this week.
Note: When you shut off the engine in the staging lanes the intercooler fluid temp will rise 10-15 degrees and may not go back down by the time you run. If you don't have a bypass switch for the pump and a fan you are probably better off to leave the engine run, but lift the hood.
noelvm

------------------
99.5 Red Ligntning, Mobil 1, PRO-M 80 MM MAF/filter, R2 Superchip, Eldebrock 5512 muffler, MT ET Streets, best time (1/8) 8.59, Bugflector II, G&H Lens covers head & fog, 200 WT Pioneer 4 CH AMP, BOSE 301 SERIES IV SPEAKERS (IN BACK)
70 Vette LS-6 454 (gathering dust in the garage)

Old 10-01-2000 | 01:35 PM
Cool

noelvm,

I've ran one step cooler stats for years now and always with good results. It's not necessarily going to speed you up but a little cooler does cut down your chance of pinging.

The interesting thing I found out after an experiment was these ratings don't add up. That is unless pressure in the system has an effect but these things have a pretty strong spring in them. Just try to push one open and see.

Here's the results of the experiment with my Lightning 180 stat and Hypertech 160 stat using a high temp thermometer, slowly heating the water and keeping it well stirred.

160 stat: 174 starting to open and 179 wide open.
180 stat: 190 starting to open and 200 wide open.

I did this experiment because a guy said he didn't see any significant change in his temp guage. I found these results interesting to say the least.

------------------
Later,

Chuck
Black 00

Old 10-02-2000 | 06:55 PM
Talking

Chuck,
These oventop reading are correct. However, the stat will open earlier in your vehicle because of water pressure from pump. Usually about 10 degrees. They are designed this way on purpose.

I ordered a 160 stat today. I've always run cooler stats than came from ford with good results.
noelvm

Quick Reply: Calling Ba Bolt OB question