Lightning

First snow with my L

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Nintova
We just got some snow here and I live on a decent hill. Was coming up the hill and hit a patch of snow/ice and lost traction and my L went backwards down the hill scraping my whole drivers side with a Toyota's passenger side. This was with a couple inches of snow at best on a new set of F1's.
Dang Bro! Leave her parked! OUCH! Sorry for your trouble.

Old 01-18-2007 | 08:11 PM
Dido on the F1's, since I bought the wife a new 300C I get to drive the Mark VIII. I had a flat on the 555's rear and ruined the tire so I replaced the good 555's with a set of F1's w/about 8-10K left on them. It snowed and she did not want to take the new car out and the Lincoln had a bad battery all the sudden. So I get the L out because the last time I drove it in the snow and ice I had the 555's and did rather well. Well, )*&(#%$@%$# I get stuck four times before I get back home in just taking her one mile to work. F1's suck in inclimate weather period. Now I don't even get it out until it is dry and now I don't drive it maybe once every three to four weeks when I'm blue balled.

Old 01-18-2007 | 10:16 PM
Snows and the L is parked. West coast snow is slick wet slushy crap.

Drove winter highway in Canadian mountains for several years, so with that kind of winter driving expeirence I will not take the truck out with F-1's.

Old 01-20-2007 | 05:27 AM
I drove the L for 5 years in snow. This year I have it parked under a nice warm blanket. Now a 94 S-10 Blazer takes the winter beatings. As an added bonus, I keep the mileage low, and on crappy days, I can take the blazer out and not worry about getting my freshly waxed Truck all dirty. Also I am paying cheaper insurance on the L as it is stored and only pay liabilty on the s10. I save myself $40 a month this way. And gas is much cheaper in the blazer.

Old 01-20-2007 | 06:56 AM
Add me to the Winter Tire List

Mine just happens to be faster than Gators Lightning
(on the street)

As for driving the Lightning in snow everytime I read one of these post I say to meself,
Self do he have a diff kind of L OR SOMETHING ???
Cause god knows I've tried it many a time and found it outright impossible to even get it to move.
As said foot off brake ='s instant spinning

I also found no matter how slight the incline it WILL NOT go uphill even with only a slight dusting.

One year I put @ 600lbs of Sand in the bed over the tires and still got stuck had to park and walk home a few times.....

Old 01-22-2007 | 10:57 PM
I have an interesting snow story.

Last week it snowed in West Texas and the roads were iced. Monday I went to work @ noon after the ice melted. However on Wednesday the roads iced over again but I decided to "chance" it and left my house around 9am. There was roughly 1.5" of snow on the ground, and all of the roads were iced over. Since I am only 6 miles from work I took the feeder road since the loop was closed. Right after I turn onto the feeder doing 5mph the 2 cars in front of me lose it and drift to the curb on the right. Needless to say I was spooked as I drove around them, so I decided to get off the feeder and go thru the local neighborhood instead. I break loose a few times and eventually make it to the stoplight where I must turn left and then proceed to cross the overpass. Traffic was bad on the road I was fixing to turn on and I saw a Mustang lose it. I decided to cut thru Whataburger and the local Hotel parking lot to hit the feeder that is right next to the bridge. As I turn right onto the feeder doing 2-5mph I lose it and drift towards the curb crossing two lanes and I come to a stop facing the wrong direction. Thank goodness nobody was near me! A few seconds later a Dodge Durango loses it about 50 ft. behind me and drifts to the curb. I let off the brake and the tires spin. WTF I am stuck! I put it in reverse since the curb doesn't have any ice on it to regain some traction and straighten the L out. I try to cut across the lanes to go back into the parking lot but I lose traction and drift back to the curb. I was pleased to see that no cars tried to go around me. I put her in reverser to straighten out again and decide to go forward to the stoplight that is 20' ahead. I noticed there were 2-3 cars stuck on the side of the bridge waiting for help to arrive. When the light turns green I hang a left doing 2mph and drive down the center of the bridge since there was sand and mush. I then turn into my office parking lot that is about 100' after the bridge. I was so freaked out that I parked the L in the protected area behind my shop, said a few prayers, then went into the office and worked until 3PM. None of my co-workers showed up that day.

I'll never drive in ice again.

Old 01-23-2007 | 12:24 AM
moral of the story is use snow and ice tires....period the L is undrivable on anything else when there is ice on the road.

Quick Reply: First snow with my L