Lightning

First snow with my L

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 06:53 AM
|
First snow with my L

I just went out and drove my Lightning for the first time in the snow,(it's my only running vehicle). I would have to say I was really impressed at how well it did in the snow. It was only a couple of inches, but I had no problems at all. I've had other rear wheel drive vehicles and this outperformed them by a long shot. The Abs brakes work great.

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:07 AM
SNOW????? Whats that??? Been one of the warmest winters so far here in NJ....

Well than you must not have the F1's on there anymore.......Cause on a snowy road, just letting off the brake, the F1's begin to spin. I still wouldnt drive the truck in the snow anyway....

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:02 AM
Don't get too c o c k y in the snow with a Lightning or your next post will be, juct wrecked my Lightning
Not wishing you any bad luck, but......................

Hey Mike, where ya been?

Old 01-15-2007 | 10:35 AM
Check out my post on this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64953

BTW-I'm into my 8th winter (if you can call this winter) and still going strong.

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:47 AM
We have been getting ice on top of ice on top of snow out here in Missouri for the last four days. I dont dare take the L out in this crap. She has a truck cover frozen to her right now! Ive been driving my beater truck (89 Nissan)

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:32 PM
Hey Mike, where ya been?[/QUOTE]

Havent been doin too much since I sold the L....Just kinda trollin around here watchin all the fun and excitement...lol...I see your truck has become quite the monster, and should be fun to see what happens this spring between you and Rob...lol...Still got my old truck...2000 150 4x4 and at 183 k miles, damn thing still runs good as new....just a few stupid problems...But when the motor does finally go.....JDM will be gettin a phone call..

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:38 PM
Lucky!, no snow here yet.

Any doughnuts and other fun?

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-15-2007 | 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by mrinaldi

Havent been doin too much since I sold the L....Just kinda trollin around here watchin all the fun and excitement...lol...I see your truck has become quite the monster, and should be fun to see what happens this spring between you and Rob...lol...Still got my old truck...2000 150 4x4 and at 183 k miles, damn thing still runs good as new....just a few stupid problems...But when the motor does finally go.....JDM will be gettin a phone call..

Monster............hardly.
But IT IS the fastest vehicle at the Home Depot in Linden

This weather has been crazy to say the least, a 70 degree day in January
If it was cold, with all this rain, we would be a shovel'in.
And don't worry about ole Rob, Iam not

Old 01-15-2007 | 05:15 PM
I bought myself a new set of snow tires for my Lightning two years ago, its the best way to handle it:

Old 01-15-2007 | 06:52 PM
I agree, the best way to handle winter weather in a Gen 2 is to park it, I bought a Jeep Commander at the beginning of the year, 0 Percent financing, no payments for 6 months or in my case until my L was paided off, 4x4 for those New England winters which I might add haven't arrived yet (which is just fine with me) check around for deals, theres always trade in's or close out's ect..

Old 01-15-2007 | 07:47 PM
Talking

I couldn't even back out of my parking space the last real snowfall we had here in Jersey. I was just moving for the snow plow. There's no way I would attempt highway driving in the snow with the F1's. My old 98 4.6 STX ext. cab was actually pretty good in the snow for a 2wd - in spots where my friends 2001 big 2500 Ram 4x4 ext. cab (but in 2wd) was even going sideways and spinning at stops where my f150 was tracking perfectly (I originally thought he was just playing around in the snow around corners and at stops, but he was actually trying not to spin, lol)

The Lightning I would definitely have to change tires and put about four 80lb bags of tube sand in the bed to feel safe on the highway in the snow. For the people that do drive in the snow with the f1's, good luck, lol!

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:42 PM
We just got some snow here and I live on a decent hill. Was coming up the hill and hit a patch of snow/ice and lost traction and my L went backwards down the hill scraping my whole drivers side with a Toyota's passenger side. This was with a couple inches of snow at best on a new set of F1's.

Old 01-16-2007 | 12:25 AM
|
Hey sorry to here about your damage nintova. I actually have the Toyo tires on it. I also have a hard teauno cover on which may weigh 100 pounds. And yes I have done a few doughnuts in it. All of my driving is in the city so I never get going too fast in the snow.

Old 01-16-2007 | 09:14 AM
I also bought myself a new set of snow tires for my Lightning this year

Old 01-16-2007 | 09:50 AM
f the snow

tried it my first winter. Bought wheels and snow tires, most we got was a couple inches and it was impossible to drive, especially when you live on a hill.

There's a difference between driving on roads that were plowed and have snow on them, or roads that haven't been plowed.

Here's exactly why I park my lightning. So just when you think of how great a winter driver you are.........and i've been driving in massachusetts all my life......

a couple weeks ago we got our first snow of the year, which is crazy because we should have feet by now........ it was a dusting at best, but covering the roads.

Took my girl's focus and was on my way to drop her off at work so i could go change the oil and do front brakes. Slowed down to about 10 mph and went to take the turn...............whole car hit a patch of all out ice and i slid sideways into on coming traffic!!!!

I managed to somehow work out of the skid enough so there was no head on collision but I bounced off the side of some ladies car.

Luckily, my tire was turned so my tire actually bounced off the side of her tire as we hit and there was hardly any damage. She said don't worry about it because she was getting a new car next week anyway.

Lucked out. But just goes to show, you could be sitting at a light and you are more likely for something like that to happen.

Even if you are a cautious driver.

Oh, carefull changing lanes on the highway in the snow too.

Quick Reply: First snow with my L