Lightning

Would anyone be interested in an AWD Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004 | 09:45 PM
there are ictures on here of a Navigator with a works blower.
the big deal is that it is a 32valve with a works blower, so many people were interested.

My point of interest was that it was AWD and driven daily.

It was at SEMA, and I'm too tired to search for the pictures
(search my name, works blower navigator or 32v 5.4 works blower)

Old 05-11-2004 | 09:49 PM
not sure about a 4x4 version of a lightning

however a all wheel drive version of a lightning road truck would be real fricken cool

we would be able to run cheaper tires on the street

Old 05-11-2004 | 09:54 PM
AWD would greatly increase the amount of power we could get to be ground. Thats why the awd subaru wrx sti's are to be taken seriously if the traction conditions ar not perfect. Another example is the aftermarket twin turbo VW R32 also AWD running 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and 11s in the quarter . Its the Awd that makes it possible, and now that we're getting the L s in the 500 hp+ range it would be nice to not worry so much about traction. And as long as we're daydreaming, an auto stick with paddle shifters woul be fun too.

Old 05-11-2004 | 09:57 PM
I've gotta ask the same thing gregg did...

what's the difference between AWD and 4x4?

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ZZAPP
AWD would greatly increase the amount of power we could get to be ground. Thats why the awd subaru wrx sti's are to be taken seriously if the traction conditions ar not perfect. Another example is the aftermarket twin turbo VW R32 also AWD running 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and 11s in the quarter . Its the Awd that makes it possible, and now that we're getting the L s in the 500 hp+ range it would be nice to not worry so much about traction. And as long as we're daydreaming, an auto stick with paddle shifters woul be fun too.
I agree-theres also the video of the 10 second turbo 4x4 chevy that dyno'd at like 49x hp and TQ. I dont know if that number was before/with N20, but Im sure hole shots with 4 wheel drive sure helped. We at least need a test mule to try this idea out....

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:24 PM
Originally posted by denny0328

The quick, non-technical answer:

4x4 gives you several modes of operation. You can select RWD, 4WD (high aka normal) and 4WD low (higher gearing, more torque to the street/mud, low top end). Drive for the most part in RWD, and switch to 4WD when you need it. Problems include wheel binding, which is when you're in a 4WD mode, all 4 wheels are locked and forced to operate at the same speed, making turning difficult and not recommended on dry pavement (due to the stress it puts on the system). Some units have part-time and full-time options for 4WD where one or the other allows for wheel slippage and the other doesn't.

AWD means all wheel drive, all the time. You don't get to take it out of AWD mode. AWD is similar to FT 4WD modes, where wheel slippage is allowed.

Hope this helps.

And also, I like the idea of adding traction. And I'd like a 4WD over AWD for the simple reason of finding an AWD dyno to tune the truck with. But realistically, I can't even slide under my L to change the oil. I can't imagine there's enough clearance under it to mount the front differential.

Last edited by ILLINI-SVT; 05-11-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2004 | 10:25 PM
Originally posted by denny0328

AWD is designed to run on the street because it is designed to slip internally with the clutches. 4x4 Doesn't work on the street because it relys on the dirt for the slipping of the tires in a turn .... If you run a 4x4 system on the street you will get wheel scrubbing and inability to turn etc. -- Best thing to compare to is if you run a rear locker on the street vs. a limited slip rear end...... You ain't going to run a straight rear locker on the street

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:29 PM
well i'm doing my part and building a 4x4 lightning with about 500hp so someone else needs to step up with an awd then we can compare apples to oranges. the weight will be the biggest issue. oh so i take it i shouldn't do 4wd hi launches once this thing is together.

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:34 PM
Seems too pricey to be realistic...When i checked on a new transfer case for my 1997 explorer it was at least 3k -- Then you have to get new hubs in the front and front drivetrain. Then a computer control system/intergration for the awl transfer case. That is without the upgrades to the internals of the T-case --- It is a good idea, but don't expect anything less than 6k for parts and labor.... and that is excluding research and developement....

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:54 PM
Originally posted by skennett
I hate bringing up old threads but I feel this one isn't done just yet. . . .

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:58 PM
When the funny cars and top fuelers go AWD I might consider it, How the heck am I GONNA DO A BURNOUT FOR GODS SAKE??

Old 05-11-2004 | 11:03 PM
All four wheels burning is cool to see and hear.

Old 05-11-2004 | 11:10 PM
Originally posted by DEIMATT
When the funny cars and top fuelers go AWD I might consider it, . . .
Scary. You'd be looking at 3 second ETs.

Old 05-11-2004 | 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Scary. You'd be looking at 3 second ETs.
Actually... From what im told the clutches are what is holding the Top Fuelers and Funny Cars back from running quicker. When I attended Frank Hawleys Super Gas Drag Racing School a couple months back, Ron Capps (a Funny Car Driver for Skoal Team) was there to help out a friend who was in the class of about 10 of us. I was talking to Ron about driving and all kinds of stuff, and I asked him the question... What really is the part that is holding everyone back from making record runs. He said the clutches are the weak points right now.

-Mike

Old 05-12-2004 | 01:42 AM
|
When I first saw this thread tonight, I thought, "oh jeesh, I've been there and done that, can't someone do a search" then I was a little surprised to see I actually started it, wow, this is old.

I have done an AWD Lightning tranny, I think the guy used a Navi front end and differential, but after I shipped the box, I never heard any more about it. I'm kind of curious how it all worked out. Maybe I'll try to find where and who I sent it to and how it worked out.

I was asked to do the SEMA Navi, but it didn't work out, and the last plans for that were for a 2WD setup, the timing was just worng and we couldn't get the truck here for me to do it in time for SEMA.

If anyone wants to try this, we can get a Monster Box built for it, no problem, just let me know.

G

Quick Reply: Would anyone be interested in an AWD Lightning