Lightning

What school should I look into for an automotive career?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000 | 10:16 PM
|
Post What school should I look into for an automotive career?

I am looking into colleges with good reputations in engineering. I have them narrowed down to three choices: Texas A&M, Rice, and Kettering University located in MI. I wish to major in mechanical engineering and a minor in either architecture, aerospace tech, or comp. engineering. My goals are to go work for a auto manufacturer or work on a large scale race team doing R&D and hands on work. Does anyone know if Kettering would be a good choice for me to persue my goals? or have any other suggestions. Thank you for any info

Old 10-18-2000 | 10:26 PM
I went to GMI (Kettering) Class of 99, by girlfriend will grad Dec 00.

To answer your questions:
You can do ME with CE (but not Aero or Architecture)
Can you get an automotive career with the with the education you recieve from Kettering, I would say yes, The Co-op program is the edge.

You have any questions, please email me.
sbothe@mediaone.net

Old 10-18-2000 | 10:26 PM
Hey Roger
We always got lamar! yea right

Old 10-19-2000 | 11:43 AM
The University of Michigan offers all the programs you're interested in and their automotive engineering department has a close relationship with the BIG 2 1/2.

Old 10-19-2000 | 11:49 AM
Cool

Definitely go with GMI (Kettering University) - still can't get used to the name change. I currently go there, and am finishing up my thesis here at work - MTD Products in Cleveland, OH. The co-op program is top-notch and has really helped to set me up in the future. Send me any questions you have about GMI-Kettering.

phil.geneaux@mtdproducts.com

------------------
99.5 Lightning
K+N Filter
Tek-Style Tonneau Cover
93 Mustang Cobra
12.90 @ 105 mph

Old 10-19-2000 | 02:14 PM
I thnk all the mentioneds above are good schools, but about half the engineers I know at Ford went to Michigan, tehy have close ties to the people who hire in Dearborn, Also UM-Dearborn seems to be the company school of choice for graduate programs.

Old 10-19-2000 | 03:29 PM
Unhappy

I went to TinkerToyTech, and can now take something apart and put it back together without any left over parts..OK, maybe just a few leftovers..but what the heck the union doesn't seem to mind...

Old 10-19-2000 | 06:32 PM
If your looking for an automotive career, I believe that you should try to locate yourself in Mi for college. As factory tech stated, a large percentage of the engineers that work for the big 3 are form Michigan.I am also originally from Beaumont, so I know that their are a lot of good schools in Texas. However, the three school that you mentioned are all great schools . I currently work in the Automotive industry as a product design Engineer (I'm an ME) so if you have any questions feel free to email me at jlgs2000@hotmail.com.

Old 10-20-2000 | 12:05 AM
Thumbs up

I would highly recommend Texas A&M. (I am biased, of course). Seriously though, USN&WR recently published it "Top Colleges" list, and several of Texas A&M's engineering departments were listed. ME was 19th in the nation and Aerospace was 17th in the nation. I believe the listings are at www.usnews.com . However, the main benefit of aTm is not academics; it is the fact that Aggies help Aggies (and there are a LOT of us). Give A&M some serious consideration, you won't be disappointed.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

[This message has been edited by DUCK01 (edited 10-19-2000).]

Old 10-20-2000 | 12:05 AM
DB
I know this isn't on your list, but I went to Georgia Tech - they have one of the best engineering schools anywhere, and there are quite a few ME grads that are working for the big auto manufacturers. The name itself has opened many doors for me. Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: What school should I look into for an automotive career?