Lightning

CHIPS- To Flip Or Not To Flip, That Is The Question??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CHIPS- To Flip Or Not To Flip, That Is The Question??!!

Alright fellas, I know y'all are sick of chip Q's but I've got one more becuase I'm so close to purchasing one....How many people are running the flipchip? Can I just change chips out if I travel to another region where octane ratings are low OR if I decide on towing? How hard is it to swap them in and out?

------------------
Red 2000 SVT Lightning

Old 10-18-2000, 10:42 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Thumbs up

flip

Old 10-18-2000, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up

I have a 4-way flipper. if i couldn't flip, i'd be ********d

Old 10-18-2000, 11:12 AM
I have the flip chip, but have never flipped it to the stock side in 8000 miles of running it. If you get in a bad gas area, it takes a full second just to pull the chip rather than flip a switch. You must do some soul searching and decide if a switch is worth the extra money - perhaps a switch that will never be used.

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
Skydive69@msn.com
Apopka, Florida
99 White Lightning #2091 DOB 6-8-99
Airaid air box (S&B Filter) & Superchip
Kills:
Last 4 generation Mustang GT's (Including Cobra)
Audi S4
Dodge R/T

Old 10-18-2000, 11:19 AM
I have a flip and it was, for me, a waste of $$$$. I never have used the stock program and never will.

If I raced, yes I would like to use a flip for the strips and streets but since I am street only there is no need to flip.

If I have to do it over again, NO FLIP--save the $$$$

I have 11,000 miles on the L

------------------
Jim
Jim@FordMotor.cc

Black 00, 4.10's, SuperChip/R9, super whites, Airaid w/10" Big Mouth, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, chrome wheels, AIM 2" drop, clear corners
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette,
1949 Plymouth Coupe

Old 10-18-2000, 11:28 AM
Fellas:

Why did you even have the stock program on position 1?. Why not put performance on Pos1 and RaceOnly/Nitrous/Ect. on Pos2?
Don't waste the first position.. Mike T. will reflash them these ways for FREE. Hello...???

Superchip FlipChip Rules!!!

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. 100HP Shot NOS, BellTech 3/4 drop, Super Chip(TRAC). K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, Sir Michael's roll pan, smooth corners and steps w/billet inserts, clear corner lenses, Cervinis Ram Air hood, ARE Cover w/ wing, Momo billet pedals, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost and nitrous gauges, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000 subs. 5-channel 500w. Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w. DX 7's, Color-matched Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, BedRug, Trenz billet grills, Piaa 9007 Super Whites, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt...o/Dsc00019.jpg

2001 PT Cruiser - Limited Edition
1999.5 Expedition XLT

[This message has been edited by TampaBayLightning (edited 10-18-2000).]

Old 10-18-2000, 11:30 AM
I'm just the opposite of most of the previous posters... I've got a flip chip, and run the stock program more than the performance program.

My performance program pings a little with 93 octane, so I use it very little on the street. I use race gas or octane booster at the strip...

What's the cost difference?

Old 10-18-2000, 11:33 AM
I just put my flip chip in less than 24 hours ago. Mine is the r9 on one side and a custom program for n20 on the other. I haven't flipped 'cause I don't have the nitrous yet but I feel in a case such as mine the flip is good. I don't see any need for the flip if your gonna have a stock program on one side, though. Just my .02

------------------

Old 10-18-2000, 11:50 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
I guess it si a matter of geographic location and whether you race it or not.

I will be flipping to "modified stock" on my R9 for winter purposes as hard shifts on snow does not seem like a great idea. The Red Rocket is my only vehicle currently.

If shifts are still too hard, out it comes. Safety first.

It kind of goes back to an addage my Dad taught me about purchasing things. MRBBQMAN will appreciate this I'm sure.

"Buy your last grill first."

------------------
Brake Late, Dive Deep

Speedin Bob
'99 'Red Rocket' Lightning #2504, 6/17/99
NLOC # 438
13.56 @ 100.89, 1.97 60' on F-1's
JL Ram Air, R9 Chip,Keyless Entry, Retrax Bed Cover, Shackles, Wet Okoles, Mobil 1/FilterMag, Corners & Tails
Autophysics filter FOR SALE [9" x 3.5" Red Trim]

Old 10-18-2000, 11:51 AM
Lightbulb

I have no plans to run Nitrous. I will only add simple bolt ons which are "safe".
Exhaust, filter, etc. So I'm assuming the R9 program will be sufficient for my mild applications....A full second to swap chips isn't so bad! I appreciate everyone's help!

------------------
Red 2000 SVT Lightning

Old 10-18-2000, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to remember here is that there have been different program combinations in the Flip Chip since it's original release for the Lighting. Originally, the Flip Chip was set up with the stock factory program in one side, and then the modified program on the other side. This has been changed over time, to respond to the needs of the Lightning owners as more and more are using it.

With the lastest R9 programs, in Position 1 you have the transmission changes and mild engine tuning, so you can still do towing up to the Lightning's 5000 lb. tow rating, or use it in case you get a bad tank of gas, or if you need a reduced power mode. With reduced power, it will shift a bit softer as well. Then in Position 2, it's the full performance program.

Another very important difference for Lightning owners is the fact that the Flip Chip *includes* the cost of any custom programming needed at time of purchase, whereas the single-program Superchip incurs an additional $125 custom programming fee for any custom programming needed. With all the Lightning owners that have done nitrous, gear changes, etc., that's another reason to opt for the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip.

I hope that information helps...

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-20-2000, 08:13 AM
Smile

Hey Speedin Bob,
That was pretty good. I have a Ducane Grill and they are right. With the lifetime warranty I will never buy another grill.

------------------
GalaxyEng
Y2K Red L
Bone Stock (not for long )

Quick Reply: CHIPS- To Flip Or Not To Flip, That Is The Question??!!