Lightning

Nitrous...TESTIFY!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000 | 10:16 AM
|
Question Nitrous...TESTIFY!

I know,I know,there's a lot of info that has been posted on here concerning nitrous,and that I can find it in the Lightning FAQ,but...I'm lazy

The essence of my post is this:
What are the pros(obvious),and more importantly,the CONS of running nitrous?

-I know it has to be hooked up correctly(and correctly would be???)
-I'm seeing that a sparkplug change seems to need done as well(right?)
-Dry shot or wet?
-100 hp shot is the ceiling for safety(right?)

I have decided to go w/ performance mods over the winter,"chippenfilter" are the likely canidates to be added first.Traction bar second. And nitrous a distant third,depending on what conclusions I attain w/ this thread. The fourth mod will be wheel and tire change,but not until spring,which is when the n20 would be added as well.

FYI,I only run at the track about once a month, from late spring to early fall. This is when the nitrous would be used.So I won't be running through bottles like Ted Kennedy.

Thanx for the input,
Brett

Old 10-11-2000 | 02:30 PM
btt

Old 10-11-2000 | 04:16 PM
Wink

Testify?,, ok then ,
Hallelujah Bothers & Sisters, i here to tell you of the evils of the blue bottle, ha! it will get you hooked, ha!, it will make you feel stronger than you are, ha! , it will push your cylinder pressures higher than the head gaskets were intended to take, ha! Ford will void the warrenty on anything it touches, ha!

the good stuff about nitrous, i wouldn't know, i just sell the stuff, i'm not a user, ha!

Old 10-11-2000 | 04:58 PM
Talking

Never mind MRBBQMAN, some time he cooks a little too close to the fire and the heat effects his judgement!!!!

MRBBQMAN, down boy, down!! This is a new member so we have to be nice to him for at least few threads!

Hope some people answer this thread as I too am considering the "evil gas." Is it practicle for street use, or just the strip and is it any good during the winter? Jeff

Old 10-11-2000 | 05:08 PM
Wink

Hey Jagc, check it out, the "Hitmen" switched up on me. even i wouldn't do that to a newbie

Old 10-11-2000 | 05:28 PM
Talking

Hitman,
I was considering a Nitrous a while back and i remember a post that someone made reguarding his setup/trials & errors.Here is the thread.I forget who wrote it but i saved the info.I dont think that Nitrous would be to good on the street as you would spin the tires all the time.You would definately need slicks in this case.Dtopp had nitrous on his truck and used it at the track with the stock tires and spun all the way down the track.Run like a 15 second ET with it.MrBBQMAN- stay off the gas! it is for racing purposes only!Repeat:do not inhale!

At the request of several E-mails pertaining to my posting about NOS kit on my 2000 Lightning I’ll share what I have done and learned.
NOS does not make a specific kit for the Ford Lightning. The EFI Ford Mustang kit works perfect.

I have made over 40 dyno runs tuning my set up.

The best set up I have found to produce the best horsepower and most torque, which I feel is safe without causing a strain in the engine, is a #47 Jet within the fuel nozzle and a #55 jet within the vacuum side. This set up is producing 448.5 Horsepower to the rear wheel and 500.8 lbs of torque to the rear wheel. This gave me an extra 122 Horsepower over the stock dyno-run to the rear tires. The fuel / air mixture is 12.2, which is still a little on the rich side.

The Ford Lighting engine from the factor is set up running on the rich side to start (look at your tail pipes and I’m sure they are black as coal). After countless hours on the telephone with NOS and SVT trying to get their opinion of this application, they all agree spraying a 100 shot of nitrous into this engine would be considered a safe application. Being that the bottom of this engine is all steel, metal head gasket, aluminum heads, compression being lower for the blower to 8.5.1, and the blower turning over 2,000 rpm below red line. I personally felt this would not subject the engine cylinders to damaging pressures.

I have not had ANY detonation at all and it works very well. Hopefully this will help others with a decision of either installing a NOS kit or not. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to call you and personally explain my findings.
Yes, it's a #47 jet in the NOS fuel nozzle. Sorry if I was not clear on that.
The part
#5171 EO and sells for $625.00
It is a dry sytem and adds 120 HP
When the NOS is turned on,the lightning is
a "WHOLE NEW EXPERIANCE' NOS can be reached
at (714)545-0580 and ask for WADDY.

------------------
1999.5 Lightning #2373
13.03 @ 106.05 MPH

[This message has been edited by ZorPrime (edited 10-11-2000).]

Old 10-11-2000 | 05:29 PM
Talking

Actually, the jokes on me, I just saw the new member under Hitman 13's name and did'nt realize that Hitman 31 was such a veteran. I think they are the first cyber clones to the board!!!

Old 10-11-2000 | 05:41 PM
Zorprime,
Were your 13.0's on the juice?
About how many 1/10ths does one expect from the 47/55 combo? I have installed and used NOS on many vehicles (fuel injected and carb) for over 10 years. I ran the same NOS Dry Kit on a Mustang and dropped 0.8 in ET from 7.50 to 6.70 in the 1/8th mile. Mile per hour went from 91 to 101 mph, however I ran a 73 Nos and a 42 Vacuum. Worked great. Any pics of where the bottle was mounted? I was thinking of those NOS motorcycle tanks that would possibly fit behind the seats????? Street race anyone? :-)

Old 10-11-2000 | 05:46 PM
Wink

HAHA! Not clones,"we" are one and the same!
I'm just an idiot who couldn't remeber his pw and had to sign on as newbie.DOH!
And before anyone asks,no I couldn't have the pw emailed to me,I'm at work and the email I gave this board is the home mailbox.DOUBLE DOH!

So...To nitrous,or not to nitrous??? That is the question.
And GOOD LAWD! 15's on the juice?!? I thought the idea was to go faster? Silly me.
I will be running on slicks come spring,so hopefully traction won't be to big an issue.
Now where are the other bottle fed Bolts? I know they're out there.

Old 10-11-2000 | 06:30 PM
Smile

Im still up in the air about the nitrous.May be a viable option but id like to have a calibrated program for my chip for it.Something to retard the timing a little bit so i can get full use of the Juice.If i decide to go that route.
The 13.0's came with these mods-
PSP Chip
Airaid/S&B Filter
JL Ramair
3.73 Gears

Old 10-11-2000 | 07:09 PM
Prime:

Just finished the 100hp dry shot last week. You'd probably like the "stealth" install.

I actually had people accusing me this weekend at the Truxpo show in Daytona that the NOS bottle was bogus. hehehehe

Rich

Old 10-11-2000 | 07:19 PM
Zorprime - Thanks for the feedback. I agree that some type of timing retard would be nice, especially for those of us that want MORE MORE MORE!!!! Too much juice and too much timing could mean I be walking soon...
Also that time is blazing for natuarally aspirated! Maybe 3:73's would be better for me. Are they Motorsport Brand or what?

TampaBayLightning - Any pics of your install?

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan460@interpath.com

Old 10-11-2000 | 07:23 PM
Tampa,
Email me id like to talk to you about your NOS setup.

richrehm@worldnet.att.net

Ryan,
I had the Ford motorsport gears installed.From what i gather they are good for a tenth or two.Provided you have traction.

Old 10-11-2000 | 07:36 PM
Talking

Hey guys, just got back from soccer practice, looks like we got some guys with experience. Some vital questions to ask:
1. If I go with wet or dry, do I need a seperate chip? I do not want a system that requires me to stop my vehicle to flip my chip. I would like to make it as "streetable" as possiple.
2. I like the idea of the "progressive" N20 computer systems but how good do they work? I read some other posts on other boards that NOS initial system did'nt work well at all. I heard about another system called "Fred", how well does it work? It is $500 so I don't want to buy it unless it works pretty darn good.
3. To solve the traction problem, if I did'nt go with the "progressive sytem" then I was thinking about a system like HighRisk where you have an addition switch or horn to push after you have launched to actually add the nitrous. How practical is this?

Basically, is Nitro's practical for the street or just for the stip?

Old 10-11-2000 | 08:09 PM
Prime:

"You've Got Mail"