Lightning

ftvb question after trans rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ftvb question after trans rebuild

my trans went out about 2 months ago and the only way i could drive was with overdrive off so i have been gentle with it untill i could afford the rebuild. I got my truck back today and i think they kinda screwed me but im not 100% sure. before my trans died whenever i would go wot from a stop 1-2 gear had a very nice "kick" to it then something similar on the 2-3 shift but now its like the truck is stock some of my friends said that thats how its supposed to shift that its not supposed to chirp the tires going into second and third. now like i said its like i have nothing done to the trans.

so my question is this.. do you think they didnt put the FTVB back in or is this the way my truck is going to shift?

i know all i need to do is drop the trans pan and see if i can see the signature on the side. (if you can even see it without removing the unit) but its 5 degrees out and i dont have access to a garage. so i thought i would ask here before i started pointing fingers

thanks and sorry for the long post

chris

Old 02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
maybe this would be better suited in the trans forum?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
double post

Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Chris, Honestly I don't think many outside the L community would even know what a FTVB is, remember it's an OEM Ford casting, signed yes but not commercialy known, in my opinion 5 degree weather is not the time to be testing your shift firmness and remember Greggs valve body increases with firmness with throttle input, nice around town harder at the track better all the time, wait until the spring or go to a reputible shop and pull the pan worst case senerio it's not in, then bitch, but heres a kicker I'm going to have my trans rebuilt at the end of the winter if you got screwed drop me a PM and I'll give you mine as a new one is going in as part of the rebuild just because I'm ****. T

side note-as for posting in the trans section go for it but I think your in the right section just be patient.

Last edited by todd abbott; 02-09-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Odds are that they installed a rebuilt tranny and did not rebuild yours, therefor you nol onger have your original tranny nor your FTVB!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by LTNDave
Odds are that they installed a rebuilt tranny and did not rebuild yours, therefor you nol onger have your original tranny nor your FTVB!

thats what i am thinking,

he knew about it and said he would put it back in when he got the rebuild done. my question is what should i do besides bitch if i find out its not in there cause i have a feeling its not..

Old 02-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by twizzler93tt
thats what i am thinking,

he knew about it and said he would put it back in when he got the rebuild done. my question is what should i do besides bitch if i find out its not in there cause i have a feeling its not..
First thing I would do is drive to his shop be nice and thank him for the job and simply say your transmission doesnt shift like it suppose to with your special Valve Body he put back in. Let him answer you and see what he says.
If he says he put it back in and he did my guess is he switched the Line Mod Valve (or a Spring) and it's a harmless mistake.

IF thats the case ask Gregg to get you replacements and take care of it in the spring ; o ) GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS on being back on the Road

Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
First thing I would do is drive to his shop be nice and thank him for the job and simply say your transmission doesnt shift like it suppose to with your special Valve Body he put back in. Let him answer you and see what he says.
If he says he put it back in and he did my guess is he switched the Line Mod Valve (or a Spring) and it's a harmless mistake.

IF thats the case ask Gregg to get you replacements and take care of it in the spring ; o ) GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS on being back on the Road

i think thats what i am going to do as soon as it warms up a bit ill check it out and see whats going on in there hopefully the valve body is still in there cause it sure dont feel like it.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twizzler93tt
i think thats what i am going to do as soon as it warms up a bit ill check it out and see whats going on in there hopefully the valve body is still in there cause it sure dont feel like it.
If it's not there, drop me or Tim at Chickenears a note and we'll fix you up with a new one. If it is there and you'd like one tuned a little bit harder to compensate for the "softer" tranny (and yes that happens) I'll do that, too. Just let me know.

G

Old 02-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Factory_Tech
If it's not there, drop me or Tim at Chickenears a note and we'll fix you up with a new one. If it is there and you'd like one tuned a little bit harder to compensate for the "softer" tranny (and yes that happens) I'll do that, too. Just let me know.

G
Gregg,

I dropped you a note about a month ago. You got back to me and then disappeared. You were going to switch out a vb for me. Got sick of waiting and went a different route.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:56 PM

G

thanks man your a real stand up guy. im going to take it back to them on monday or tuesday ill keep everyone updated on what i figure out

Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree with Rob00 if you had nice firm shifts before than something is up/

I can also attest to Gregs products. I have one of his built transmisions, so I would imagine it has one of his valve bodies in it. Mine has been running awesome for 4 years, and it actually shifts as good now as it did 4 years ago.

Though I still can't understand why so many people want there trans to bang hard into the next gear. I have my truck setup so my trans shifts quick, but it doesn't shift hard. I don't know if the way I had Jim set the shifting, or that I change my trans fluid and filter every year that my trans is holding up so well.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 AM

G
Where've you been Gregg ??? A lot of people said you disappeared and do not answer phone calls and emails, even Jasper which is your business partner said they can not get ahold of you ?
What happened ??

Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I have to admit, sent gregg an email a couple weeks ago about a shifting problem and thought I may change to a FTVB from my current set up. I have not yet received a reply so I have not yet purchased the unit, infact I'm still looking for another option. I know the original post is old but, like Virilha, I was wondering about gregg as well. Soon I will be in the market for a stall converter and have been pooring over the info on the different units available and being able to get help with it if I ever need it is a big deal for me.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by rotorwash
I have to admit, sent gregg an email a couple weeks ago about a shifting problem and thought I may change to a FTVB from my current set up. I have not yet received a reply so I have not yet purchased the unit, infact I'm still looking for another option. I know the original post is old but, like Virilha, I was wondering about gregg as well. Soon I will be in the market for a stall converter and have been pooring over the info on the different units available and being able to get help with it if I ever need it is a big deal for me.
I would just buy a BTS vb. They are not listed on the website , but they do have them.

Quick Reply: ftvb question after trans rebuild