Lightning

Before & After Alignment Pics of Left Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This post is going no where. Too many contradictions. The fact of the matter is this should be directed as a complaint to the NHTSA since it is a safety issue. This is more of a safety issue than a leaking intercooler. While there seems to be less of an interest in agency intervention (intercooler is a more costly issue) Ford has a very serious public relations problem with resolve to manufacturing defects. Mr. Robert Lane, what is your response to this question? Thank You, John

Old 11-03-2000, 08:31 PM
Exclamation

This post is going no where. Too many contradictions. The fact of the matter is this should be directed as a complaint to the NHTSA since it is a safety issue. This is more of a safety issue than a leaking intercooler. While there seems to be less of an interest in agency intervention (intercooler is a more costly issue) Ford has a very serious public relations problem with resolve to manufacturing defects. Mr. Robert Lane, what is your response to this question? Thank You, John

Old 11-03-2000, 09:15 PM
Talking

95Cobra,
Thanks, I can see how that would work better on the frame once torqued down. Makes sense to me now.

------------------
2001 L. (Silver Frost)
Order#1148

Old 11-03-2000, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Hello to all:

Thanks for the valuable feedback. It looks like Tasca Ford's Service Department duped me again. A rhetorical question; Why do I keep going back there? Maybe, I keep on convincing myself that they are going to get tired of seeing me over and over again, and will eventually fix the problem, and there have been many problems, correctly. I guess I might as well keep dreaming the Boston Bruins are going to win the Stanley Cup this year.

Anyway, I did have the alignment performed, with the spec's printed out. The printout showed the L was out of alignment spec' prior to adjustment. After the alignment the truck definitely handled much better, having lost much of the wander and dartiness it previously had. Unfortunately, after careful scrutiny of the "after" alignment spec's, it appears that the technician set the alignment to the standard 4x2 F-150 spec's, and not to the Lightning's unique alignment spec's.

It's hard for me to fathom why Ford and SVT, with all their technical know-how, engineering and expertise would design the suspension in this fashion. Even more perplexing is why Ford and SVT appear to turn a blind eye to this condition. Perhaps there is a justification for putting a round bolt in a slotted hole. If there is an explanation, then SVT should make it known, so that we, their customers, will be aware of the situation and understand it.

Oh well, just venting. All in all, it's still a blast to drive this truck. I may not look forward to going to work each day, but I do look forward, each day, to driving this machine to, from, and at work.

Wilk

Old 11-04-2000, 12:25 AM
Hope you don't mind a new guy jumping in on this!! I have called SVE on this issue to make sure they had the fix implemented on the 2001 L's.

I was told the fix is a new washer design with teeth that can bite through the frame wax and into the frame.

I was told this fix has been released for service. I don't think lockwashers are going to stay still for long.

Make sure the dealer installs the new washers when you take your truck in. Judging from the after photo it doesn't look like the washer that was described to me. Hope you don't mind the input!

------------------
2001 L. (Silver Frost)
Order#1148

Old 11-05-2000, 12:40 AM
Talking

Exactly. I am requesting that BON open another NHTSA over this. This is a safety issue that warrants immediate repair and the associated TSB. Not a special service bulletin. My Ford mechanic bud can hardly find any info at all. He states he feels like he is a dad gum dentist. Ford is $ucking their mechanics now on flat rates! Ford, GM and the rest of 'em are in big trouble with this proliferation of info on the internet.

Old 11-05-2000, 12:58 AM
Unhappy

After reading this I see I'm not alone in the frustration dept. Sad that it was designed that way to begin with and what is even more sad is that the goobers can't fix it.

One day I got really mad at mine because every time it 'clunked' my steering wheel would change 'straight ahead' positions until next time it clunked. Sooo, rather than deal with the fools I went to the muffler shop and told them to lightly spot-weld both washers in place. Problem gone, no clunk, clatter, click or crooked steering wheel.

I do realize I can't take it in now for a permanent fix by Ford, but I don't care. They're not touching it. And if I need to change bushings someday, a light grinding will get it off. What a joke, I can't believe what we put up with out of them.

P.S. Before I get flamed, I'm not suggesting that you guys do this or it's the best way to fix it, just that I was very mad and it has worked for me.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 of 4,966
Built 3/30/00 (a Thursday!)
Clear corners
J.L. Enhanced R9
J.L. Stage II Ram-Air ordered
FMS oval T/B next
HP booster of my own
G-Tech 13.72 stock

[This message has been edited by gforce (edited 11-05-2000).]