Lightning

Why not got with the Pro-M?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why not got with the Pro-M?

First let me start by saying that I am by no means a car/truck expert. So let me know if I am wrong here. I don't know much about how Superchargers work or anything like that but I was thinking. If you get a chip more then likely you are going to get some kind of air filter set up. For the downs ford kit it is $129.00. The airaid is $199.95. So why not get the Pro-M which is basically an air intake system with an added bonus of the better reading meter?

Don't know if I am way off here but any suggestions or input is welcome.

Thanks

John

------------------
93 Teal Cobra #4656
2000 Silver Lightning #4524

Old 11-03-2000, 01:58 PM
John

You'll probably get a ton of conflicting info. It's almost as bad as asking which chip is better.

You might want to jump over to our FAQ's and get some info. http://www.webtechnik.com/lightning/#IDAILZBB

Old 11-03-2000, 03:08 PM
Lightbulb

John893, I felt the same way and had the same ?. I know I wanted a chip and filter but figured the pro m had the filter so why not get all three. I called Mike Troyer, Performance Products, to order the chip. He's a smart guy and answered all my ?'s. If your going to get a chip call Mike and he'll do a much better job telling you than I could. I just installed the Airaid system. It's awesome! The R9 chip I ordered from Mike is being installed tomorrow. I was ready to get all 3 parts but got the chip and filter only. I'll post the results of the chips performance tomorrow night, if I ever stop driving it.

------------------

Old 11-03-2000, 03:54 PM
cvst150: Get ready for the biggest, longest lasting,***** eating grin you have ever produced tomorrow. When you install the R9, you are going to wonder how you lived 5 minutes without it. Enjoy!

------------------
Sandy (Spider) Scott
Skydive69@msn.com
Apopka, Florida
99 White Lightning #2091 DOB 6-8-99
Airaid air box (S&B Filter) & Superchip
Kills:
Last 4 generation Mustang GT's (Including Cobra)
Audi S4
Dodge R/T

Old 11-03-2000, 03:59 PM
I know the psp filter is next to impossible to get, so I'm looking at the Airaid..Looks like several people are using it with good results..
Thanks

------------------
Ted O, Black 00 "L"
Superchip, K&N

Old 11-03-2000, 07:55 PM
Check out the JL filter kit, too. It has the same open-end type filter as the PSP.

------------------
Regards,
Gordon

'99 Red Lightning
Johnny Lightning Superchip
Johnny Lighting Ram Air Kit
Century Tonneau
Best 1/4 mi. ET: 13.249 secs

Old 11-03-2000, 11:50 PM
Cool

the airraid is useless, the pro m is much more affective. mike troyer is no lightning expert by any means.he does not even own one.the reason he does not recommend the pro m,is because superchips is to fricken lazy to tune there chip to the pro m.i have seen no r-9s in the 12's period.but my swanson chip and pro m have hit 12's many times.take it from someone who had the first p.o.s.superchip for 00 and a airraid. best of 12.926 107.74
fyi the only other chip iv'e seen in 12's is the jl chip.
------------------
00 black team swanson

[This message has been edited by ib fast (edited 11-04-2000).]

Old 11-04-2000, 12:46 AM
There are quite a few L's running in the 12's using PSP Chips. Here's a post from Sal on Sal's board of races at E-town.

I came to the event hoping to prove PSP's superior tuning and performance. I was hoping to run faster than all other Gen 2 trucks. There were basically 5 trucks I thought would give me competition. 1- Bobs truck (High Risk) 2-Jim D'Amore's rumored 12.30 truck with his new intake 3) MM&FFs The Fridge 4)Spiros truck since his runs almost identicalto mine and 5) Johnny Lightning's strong running truck. The weather was pretty bad, giving everyone dissapointing times, but at least we could see how everyone stacked up on an equal playing field. Unfortunately High Risk toasted some valves on Friday night on the nitrous and was unable to race. Jim D'Amore was running 13.1s. The Fridge was running 13.1s. Spiro who had run some 12.6s a few weeks before with PSP power, had switched for the day to Johnny Lightning's air intake and chip and he was going 13.1s as well. Johnny himself was the closest to me running 12.9s-13.1s off the spray. Our PSP truck was the fastest Lightning there (Gen 1 or 2)running .2 faster than Johnnys truck in the 12.70 range. I was hoping to show PSP's dominance, and I did .
Sal- Team PSP
PSP 99 Test truck
12.61@107.9 mph, 1.79 60ft

Old 11-04-2000, 02:25 AM
Sal's post was a little inaccurate. Johnny posted a 12.59 with no bottle. He let me drive it Sunday and ran a 12.67 with a less aggressive launch. Sal makes some good stuff but he wasn't the fastest there. Not that I'm dedicated to one chip. They are all very close. I think the best results would find your closest chip burner and get one tuned for your truck. Data logging and reading air fuel ratios will tell you alot. Instead of the cookie cutter chips you get in the mail. Just my opinion.

HIGH RISK

Old 11-04-2000, 01:08 PM
We had an interesting dinner with JL, Sal, Spiro and High Risk at the same table.

The consensus was that all Lightnings are not identical, and that a chip that works for one, may not work for the other.

My theory is that there is a variance in the factory MAFs. IMO, this is the major variable in the truck.

This would explain why some trucks get big gains from Pro-Ms and others don't. A truck with a "rich" MAF would gain HP from leaning out the truck. A "lean" MAF would be running closer to what the Pro-M does, so there would be less gain.

It would also explain why some trucks ping with some chips and others don't. Again, a "lean" factory MAF may be over the edge - like a Pro-M might be, if the chip throws in too much spark advance.

High Risk is right on when he suggests finding a local tuner and checking the A/F ratios. That is the only way to be sure what YOUR truck is doing.

My truck is one of the "slow" ones, and is at least 1/4 second slower than JLs in all modes (street/race/no chip). When I hit the dyno this winter, I expect to find that my truck runs on the rich side.

Does this make sense? Comments please.

------------------
Regards,
Gordon

'99 Red Lightning
Johnny Lightning Superchip
Johnny Lighting Ram Air Kit
Century Tonneau
Best 1/4 mi. ET: 13.249 secs

Old 11-04-2000, 02:05 PM
With stock programming, the Pro-M got me from 14.1's and 14.2's to a 13.90 at normal op temp. That should mean that I'm running rich in a/f in my stock PCM. Then after putting Sal's chips after I sent it back for reprogramming because of ping, in concert with my new Pro-M, I thought my motor was nothing but a bunch of marbles clanking around in a tin can. It was REALLY, REALLY bad. Maybe Sals chip is still way on the jagged edge of timing. Now that I have the Inject-Tech chip with the Pro-M flow numbers factored in, I still get minor detonation. I don't know how much a local burner helps. I've been trying to get ahold of jerry (Inj-T) for three weeks now to get out the detonation and correct my speedo with my 4.10 gear that he said would work with his chip. I never would have gotten his chip if a 4.10 can't be factored in. I' racking up a ton of miles that shouldn't be there because his chip is setup for a 3:55. He hasn't responded to any of my emails about what's taking so long. Anyone know what's happened to jerry?

Old 11-04-2000, 03:19 PM
HIGH RISK
My understanding is that what Sal commented on was correct for the day he was there(Saturday). My understanding is also that weather improved on Sunday and provided better times. Of course I wasn't there, so you would know better than I about weather conditions.

Old 11-04-2000, 03:33 PM
Wink

BadDog,

Yes, what you said makes perfect sense. That might explain why my truck has never ever pinged - not even on 87 octane with a chip. My exhaust stays pretty black though.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 of 4,966
Built 3/30/00 (a Thursday!)
Clear corners
J.L. Enhanced R9
J.L. Stage II Ram-Air ordered
FMS oval T/B next
HP booster of my own
G-Tech 13.72 stock

Old 11-04-2000, 06:10 PM
Talking

Hey Bad Bolt!
Send me e-mail with your phone number and I will try to help you out. mikesmotorsport@mediaone.net

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 11-04-2000, 06:11 PM
Talking

Hey Bad Bolt!
Send me e-mail with your phone number and I will try to help you out. mikesmotorsport@mediaone.net

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Quick Reply: Why not got with the Pro-M?